Sign in to follow this  
littletramplover

~*~Classic Film 21 Questions~*~

11,372 posts in this topic

ike I can understand the pressure believe me! good luck with a movie and then coming up with the clues. as you already know just logging in to give a possible answer is nervewacking enough. you don't want to post to much just in case someone beats you to the punch. GOOD LUCK

Thanks for the positive vibes, GWTW. Got my movie picked. (And no, it's not Kelly's Heroes. ;) )

Clue #1: a church

This sounds like a movie I saw atleast the camping trip part a Barbara Stanwyck movie called Jeopardy. Now I had to go to IMDb.com and surf the movies she made till I found the title that matched the plot I knew. So I was cheating??? If it helps I've seen this movie twice and I say hey try this try that and get that youngin out of the water. I always think she could have shoved more to levy the pier off of his leg. A very physical movie for all involved. And probably a very wrong, wrong guess.

Interesting guesses. As for what constitutes 'cheating', I'll leave that to those who've played the game longer than I. I have no idea if it's 'ok' to check web sites to help you remember a movie. In any case, it's a moot point at the moment, since that is not the movie. So, on to...

Clue #3: a nuclear explosion

(that should narrow it down a bit ;) )

Good guess, GWTW, but that's not it. At the risk of making this sound like it's The Sound of Music (which it isn't), except for the nuke clue, here is

Clue #6: a hymn

Guess it's time for another clue, specially since I won't be around during the baseball games (my one other love on TV than TCM). Also, guess it's time to start making some of the clues a bit 'easier', so here goes

Clue # 7: Los Angeles

I apologize, Nos, but I can't say whether your guess is a good one or not (though I'm sure it's the latter), since *embarrassed aura* I can't remember ever hearing of a movie titled Miracle Mile. I know of 'the' Miracle Mile, a ridiculously successful advertising gimmick for a portion of Wilshire Blvd. in L.A., but nothing of a movie by that name. I'm sure someone, perhaps you, will enlighten me.

Anyway, I guess it's time for another, though perhaps 'less easy' :

Clue #8: a stained glass window.

The China Syndrome? a guess and I didn't try to check it out on IMDb though I was tempted. Probably way off base but this is the only movie I know with a Nuclear problem.

Ike, "Miracle Mile" was a film from the late 1980s that took place in the Miracle Mile section of Los Angeles. It starred Anthony Edwards as a guy who picks up a pay phone and gets a message letting him know that the U.S. has just sent nuclear weapons to Russia. He now knows that nuclear missles are heading to America.

You've got a tough one going. I'm ready for the next clue.

Congratulations, JH, you are 100% correct. The movie was The War of the Worlds, which has a special place in my heart since it was the first movie I ever saw, before I had ever even seen television. Well, before my family had a TV anyway... it's possible we had been invited to a neighbor's home to see a TV before the time I went to the movie: my memories are fairly cloudy that far back.

Anyway, it is now your turn to pick a flick and start the clues roling. Good luck! And thanks to all who participated.

P.S. According to the original rules, there is only supposed to be one guess per clue. Personally, I don't understand the reason for that. Seems to me that the rule should be one guess *per person* per clue. It's not like this forum is overrun with posts anyway. :)

Oops, Nos.. forgot to thank you: thanks for the info on movie, The Miracle Mile. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

ike if you look back to the rules and the first game conducted you'll see how when the game is not played by the rule how aggravating it is when one breaks the rules. However it is aggravating when someone guesses wrong or guesses and you have to wait for the next clue to post and meanwhile someone else guesses despite the rules. This happened recently with the Me amd My Gal 21 Questions I knew the answer and had to wait for the original poster to put up another clue but another guessed anyway and got to continue the game. Anyway I guess the first correct answer no matter when it comes in could be the winner but littletramplover set it up by just that one rule one guess per clue. I have broke the rules myself before I knew the rules I just was so excited to post a guess mostly wrong of course. Anyway a recent problem has been winners who didn't or couldn't continue the game. Boy that is aggravating at times- you want the game to continue but you hope nothing has happened to the missing poster.

thanks for the post, GWTW. I still don't see any *reason* for the 'one guess per chue' rule. A 'one guess per person per clue', makes sense, but why make everyone wait on the 'MC' to log back in before the game can continue? In addition, it puts pressure on the MC to log in several times a day to check to see if there's been a guess yet. And finally, what do you do when someone answers correctly but isn't the first to respond for that clue? It happened before as you noted, it happened this time, and with new folks always coming along and not knowing the original rule, it's sure to happen in the future. And what point is there to posting another clue, when the answer has already been given?

So, for my two cents, I think the rule should be changed to 'one guess per person per clue', and the game should be able to proceed much more smoothly that way. But I'm happy to go along with whatever most folks prefer.

Ike

ike I once posted a time limit for those who did not pick up the game(24 hours or 48 hours atleast to continue the game) and classicfan responded by suggesting I pick up the game(or anyone else and she said gwtw why don't you start another game so I did) no response on the 24-48 rule. Anyone wish to comment on ike's suggestion one guess per clue per person? Or the time limit? Is littletrmplover still on line at the TCM website? I sense they are not how would one go about altering the rules? should we? See ike if we started the new rule I'd already be guilty of trangessing that one did it also before I read the rules.