1 post in this topic

Here are a couple experimental films that make use of both Hitchcock's and Gus Van Sant's versions of Psycho. I thought some might find them interesting.

First up is Christoph Draeger's film Schizo (Redux), in which he overlays the same scenes (prelude, shower murder, and aftermath) from both versions, Since the two versions don't sync up perfectly, a strange echo effect is created (both aurally and visually) which after a while I found strangely fascinating. I suspect if extended too long, this effect would wear off, but I managed to stay engaged for all twenty-or-so minutes of the clip.

Steven Soderbergh does something similar in his mash-up of the two shower scenes, although he plays with the footage more, changing the color film to black-and-white for a spell, and selecting when to overlay footage, rather than simply duplicating throughout. This is just a three minute clip, but supposedly he's done this to the entire film(s). (The complete version doesn't seem to be available online anymore. Fancy that.) You can find a link to the clip below.

http://www.openculture.com/2014/03/steven-soderberghs-psycho-mashup.html