Stephan55

This connection is not secure. Logins entered here could be compromised.

6 posts in this topic

This connection is not secure.
Logins entered here could be compromised.

This is a cautionary tale...

Whenever I sign in to the TCM website my Mozilla Firefox web browser provides the above warning.

So I make sure that I do not have multiple  windows open in my browser when visiting here, and especially NOT my personal email addresses.

Knowing what a risky world it is that we live in and how aggressive scamming is these days, I no longer reply back from my personal email address when I receive a PM from someone that I have not already established communication with. Instead I use this site to communicate with other members on these boards.
If I receive a PM from someone that I am not familiar I will use these boards to check their member status to attempt to validate legitimacy. 

Today, when checking my personal email, I had a PM notification from TCM this morning from someone I did not recognize who provided me with an email address and wanted me to reply back to them regarding no specific subject of conversation.

For safety reasons I no longer do that, but if they were a legitimate member I would consider communicating back to them via a PM on these boards.

First I signed out and closed my personal email, then cleared and reopened my browser and signed in to the TCM message board. To my surprise there was no PM from this person listed there. When I used the name they provided I checked the members list and discovered that they had joined the TCM boards yesterday, had made 0 posts, and were already banned.

Because they were banned there was no further information available about them.

I'm not sure if they actually made some offensive posts since joining early yesterday afternoon and afterward were banned, with those posts deleted by the Moderator so it only appears that they had made zero posts.

Why this person chose to send me a PM, and why TCM would forward the message to my personal email address after they were "banned" is a mystery?

I have since adjusted my settings so that hopefully only a moderator should be able to communicate with me via my personal email address from these boards.

I doubt that this person singled me out specifically, and likely has tried to communicate with others from these boards in such a fashion.

This person may have simply wanted to have a conversation, but because the danger of being scammed by simply replying to an email, or a text, or by answering the phone, is so easy, it pays to be extra cautious these days.

I never click on auto reply to any email I receive unless they are known to me AND I can first verify that the communication is actually from them. I especially do NOT reply to any unknown entity.

Likewise, unless I can verify who is calling or texting me by phone, I do NOT even answer it.

Any institution can be hacked these days... even those that claim to be "secure."

Because the TCM message boards are NOT secure, it behooves all of us to use extra caution while here, and NOT provide any traceable personal information, either in our posts, or in our profiles.

The same account contacted at least one more board member, and also viewed multiple profiles, including my own. I don't have my account set up to send me e-mail notices if I receive PM's here, and since they were banned quickly, all of their posts and messages would have been deleted, so more of us could have received PM's and just not known about it.

• Like 1

Why this person chose to send me a PM, and why TCM would forward the message to my personal email address after they were "banned" is a mystery?

I have since adjusted my settings so that hopefully only a moderator should be able to communicate with me via my personal email address from these boards.

Just to clarify ...

We do not send or forward anything to the email you used to register with. What you do receive, is a notification that you have a PM from someone here on the message boards. 

If you adjust your settings so that only a moderator can communicate with you, other members will not be able to send you a pm. 

I hope this helps!

• Like 1

Just to clarify ...

We do not send or forward anything to the email you used to register with. What you do receive, is a notification that you have a PM from someone here on the message boards

If you adjust your settings so that only a moderator can communicate with you, other members will not be able to send you a pm. 

I hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply, but...

What you do receive, is a notification that you have a PM from someone here on the message boards.

The "notification" had the senders "name" and at least a portion (if not the entire content) of their PM.

I was unable to verify the content because that PM had already been deleted from my TCM account when the person was banned (7/23/2017, 02:50 PM).

The PM "notification" email was date & time stamped as sent the day AFTER they had been banned!

The TCM message board system is not only NOT SECURE, but it also appears to be severely flawed in such cases where a person is banned, and their account deleted along with any PMs that they have sent... Yet allows the banned "members" PMs to be "forwarded" in the form of an email "notification" by TCM to their intended recipients.

Granted, along with the email PM "notification" there is a TCM cautionary addendum stating:

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY DIRECTLY TO THIS EMAIL!

You can reply to this personal conversation by following the link below:

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php? app=members&module=messaging&section=view&do=showConversation&topicID= .... .... ....

which hopefully deters the recipient member from actually responding directly to the email.

In the case of a banned person, clicking on the TCM supplied link leads to nowhere.

This appears to be a Catch 22 conundrum. We must either accept all email communications (which, because of TCMs insecure and flawed message board system places us at greater risk for potential scams), or none...

It has been suggested (several times before) by long time members here, that a simple way to curb the lion's share of persons that come to this site for the purpose of spamming and scamming would be to apply a temporary "wait period" (lasting from several hours to a few days, or more) from the time a person first "joins" the board by becoming a member, and the time that they are allowed to make their first post, or have PM access to any other members.

This tactic has been applied by numerous other message boards and seems to be pretty effective at curbing SPAM BOTS, and SCAMMERS from their legitimate members.

Why TCM has chosen to NOT implement such a minor and yet effective "filter" bewilders me.

Instead, TCM has made the decision to allow its its board members and moderators to be subject to routine mass attacks by SPAM BOTS, and SCAMMERS..... 

None-the-less, I do appreciate the never ending work of the moderators to deal with this kind of garbage. It just saddens me that TCM has chosen to cripple their own website, and handicap the moderators that do the "dirty" work for them by NOT being more proactive in preventive (as opposed to treatment) measures.

But alas, that appears to be a pandemic flaw with too many US systems... 

As in our ineffective health care system, "we" refuse to learn that preventing a problem is far cheaper (though less profitable for certain parasitic entities) than treatment.

Old adage: "An ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure."

• Like 1

@Stephan55

This is neither here nor there, but here is an example of how I would run a forum, if I were to run a forum:

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php

If you look around there a bit, you will see a few things are different:

-All users must use their real names.  This cuts down on ad-hominem attacks and provides a level of accountability, as it is a professional resource which people in the technical concert, recording and theater industries depend upon.  If anyone uses an annonymous handle or fake name and is found out, somebody is sure to reply to them so they correct the situation.  The moderators then lock all their threads until they change their fake handle or name to a first and last name, likely verified for plausibility with a search engine these days.  If no corrective action is taken, user is eventually banned from forum.

-The moderators are industry professionals who use their real names and participate on the forum.

-No politics, religion, or social issues.  Individuals who fail to follow this policy eventually get banned.  Most civil internet forum I have ever come across.  Ever.  People are friendlier with each other and have real conversations.  Many also know each other offline.  It is a small community where people network with each other and help each other out in the field.

-There is smaller word filter, maybe even none at all.  You see the occasional F-word.  To see how this stays civil, reread my first and second bullet points.

-There is a captcha if one isn't logged in and uses their search engine.  Not sure about the extent of what else goes on behind the scenes, as it has been about ten years and a couple software upgrades for them since I have been a registered member, but their site seems to stay free of spam.

-All in all they don't run it like it is a liability, they run it like it is an asset.

Anyhow I didn't mean to hijack your thread, the whole thing just seems to work out very well.  This is just an example of what a functional online community looks like.

• Like 1

@Stephan55

This is neither here nor there, but here is an example of how I would run a forum, if I were to run a forum:

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php

If you look around there a bit, you will see a few things are different:

-All users must use their real names.  This cuts down on ad-hominem attacks and provides a level of accountability, as it is a professional resource ...

-The moderators are industry professionals who use their real names and participate on the forum.

- ...  Most civil internet forum I have ever come across.  Ever.  People are friendlier with each other and have real conversations.  Many also know each other offline.  It is a small community where people network with each other and help each other out in the field.

-...their site seems to stay free of spam.

-All in all they don't run it like it is a liability, they run it like it is an asset.

Anyhow I didn't mean to hijack your thread, the whole thing just seems to work out very well.  This is just an example of what a functional online community looks like.

Thank you MovieCollector, I always appreciate your in-put and insight.

And, Thank you for the link...

In most "professional" sites that I access and contribute to, there is also a degree of respect and civility that one most often does not encounter with anonymous websites. I too think that is because we are known by our credentials and cannot "hide" ourselves behind anonymity. 

I agree with those that believe that it is the anonymous aspect of the web that allows the kind of "bad" behavior that most persons would never do face to face.

On the flip side, because of the predator/prey situation of the web, I personally would prefer my anonymity most of the time.

The exceptions being when communicating with other, "trusted" professionals, accessing "secure" and personal data, or making personal on-line transactions (which I try to keep to the bare minimum).

But I'd like think that my behavior is the same whether dealing with someone anonymously (using a fictitious web handle) or when I'm communicating with someone who knows, and is known by, me.

It's an old adage, "Treat others as you wish to be treated yourself."

• Like 1