Sign in to follow this  
FrRonald

Grand Ole Opry on Kate Smith tv show

3 posts in this topic

I am looking for a copy on vhs or dvd of the two Kate Smith tv shows that featured Roy Acuff and Hank Williams and other stars from The Grand Ole Opry. Any help would be appreciated.

Do you mean the show that was on in the fifties?she was on every afternoon at 4 o'clock for one hour---It was produced by her manager Ted Collins.

:

:

I don't think I've ever seen a Kate Smith Show offered anywhere. Most likely, the shows were done live so, in those days before video tape, there were no recordings,.There was a process called Kinescope where the show was filmed off a TV screen, as it was being done, but many programs didn't bother because the quality was pretty poor. Besides, in those days, very few network shows did repeats. They'd do new shows for 39 weeks and then take the summer off and be replaced by something else. About they only shows that aired repeats were those shot and distributed on film and syndicated to local stations.

You could try checking with the Museum of Broadcasting in New York City. They have a large collection of Kinescopes, but they don't offer them for sale. They'll only let you go there and screen a video copy.