Sign in to follow this  
ClassicMovieRankings

Ranking 60 Walter Brennan Movies on His 118th Birthday

9 posts in this topic

Why "rank" them at all?  He was a delight in anything he did, no matter HOW big or small the role.

And anyway Cody....

He was FAR more villianous in THE WESTERNER

Sepiatone

And anyway Cody....

He was FAR more villianous in THE WESTERNER

Sepiatone

Can't agree with you, Sepia.

Old Man Clanton was a more ruthless character, in my opinion.

As Bean Brennan was allowed to sketch a more ambiguous portrayal, with little bits of humour mixed into the characterization. There was also his admiration/longing for Lillie Lantry, that idolatry eventually leading to his downfall. In the end the audience feels sorry for Bean. That is not the case with Clanton at all.

Hey Cody….your top two did very well in my rankings.

Red River – his 5th biggest box office hit, his 8th best reviewed movie critics and audiences, tied for 8th when looking at Oscar nominations & wins and finally ranked 7th when you jam all three categories.

My Darling Clementing – his 12th biggest box office hit, his 4th best reviewed movie critics and audiences, shut out when looking at Oscar nominations & wins and finally ranked 9th when you jam all three categories.

Hey Sepiatone…well when you rank them the way we do….it unearth’s some very hard to find stats…..and it really shows how awesome his career was…..and this 60 is just the ones I could find box office information on.

I agree with you about him being more evil in The Westerner…..in that one….he seem to realize how bad his actions were

Hey Tom…..good point about Old Man Clanton….but I have to side with Sepiatone about The Westerner. Both are excellent roles from Brennan….surprised he did not play more of these types of roles…..versus so many comic sidekick roles. He was pretty evil in HTWWW too.