Sign in to follow this  
Reaper

Series You Rank In Release Order

39 posts in this topic

Another series that's potentially I'd rate in descending order is Re-Animator. I've always enjoyed the original very much and only just recently saw the sequel, Bride Of Re-Animator. Not quite as good as the first but still more of the same gory fun. The consensus seems to be the third film, Beyond Re-Animator, is the weakest, but I shall seek it out and give it a fair shake as I do every film in a series.

Another I thought of that could well go in descending order for me (when I see the remainder of the series) is The Crow. Only saw the original which is a favorite of mine, and the sequels all seem to be poorly received with only the third getting the occasional decent comment or rating.

Highlander could be another. I've only seen the original, again, a favorite of mine. The sequels are all terribly received and while the second film seems to be regarded as the worst, occasionally I've seen the others rated lower. It seems with both The Crow and Highlander, the originals are the only ones that matter.

Star Wars: I do not enjoy the "prequels" (Episodes 1, 2, & 3) as much as I enjoy the original trilogy (Episodes 3, 4, & 5). As a child, I thought they were great, but now I see I was blind. George Lucas' biggest mistake. 

Disney straight to video sequels: Disney is probably the most guilty of attempting to strike it rich twice when it comes to their sequels. Pocahontas 2, Little Mermaid 2 & 3, Cinderella 2 & 3, Hunchback of Notre Dame 2, Beauty and the Beast 2, Lion King 1.5 & 2... the list goes on. Not to mention their countless remakes that are currently in the works (Dumbo, Peter Pan, etc). Although, Pixar seems to have a higher success rate when it comes to their sequels, i.e. Finding Dory (Nemo), Monsters University (Monsters Inc), Toy Story 2 & 3... 

I don't dislike the Star Wars prequels like many others do although I share the consensus they aren't as good as the original classic three.

Interesting question, but seems to neglect the huge number of series movies in the 30's, 40' and 50's.

The Saint, The Falcon, The Thin Man and many more.  In fact, I watched one of the Michael Shayne movies this afternoon.  Yesterday I watched a Red Skelton Whistling movie.

I'm not familiar with films and series from those eras, but you're more than welcome to add any if you'd like :)

14 hours ago, Reaper said:

I'm not familiar with films and series from those eras, but you're more than welcome to add any if you'd like :)

All the more reason to actually watch TCM.  Today for instance, they have 11 The Falcon movies per the schedule.

I get the TCM channel as well from my cable provider, so catching what they air is easy for me. I've got some of their airings before.

I've never seen the Psycho films barring the fourth film, which was actually a prequel. Yep, a major Horror fan like myself has gone all these years not seeing the original Psycho, but I will remedy that someday. My main exposure to all things Norman Bates has been the excellent Bates Motel TV show. From what I've seen of the consensus, it seems pretty agreed that the film series is one that declined with each subsequent film.

Toy Story is one that could go in RO for me, I've yet to see the sequels and haven't seen the original since childhood. The consensus seems to be they're all good but the third the least so, which doesn't say much. I recently DVR them all and I plan to watch them all soon, should be enjoyable.

Universal's FRANKENSTEIN, BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN and SON OF FRANKENSTEIN are all classics in my opinion.

After that the Frankenstein series just went downhill.

POLTERGEIST is the best, POLTERGEIST II was very watchable, POLTERGEIST III you couldn't pay me to sit through again.

Love all the Indiana Jones films, save THE CRYSTAL SKULL, but that's only because it's the only Indy film I haven't seen....the consensus tells me I am not missing anything.

Love the original Star Wars trilogy, the only one of the prequels I can stand is REVENGE OF THE SITH, and even that isn't saying much.

Poltergeist is nearly one for me, except for the very controversial opinion of liking the second one the best, though I do consider the first two equally good. Such a shame the third is so sub-par and feels largely unfinished and rushed. Which is largely due to the unfortunate passing of Heather O'Rourke before it even finished filming.

As far as the Indiana Jones trilogy, I can't help but liking THE LAST CRUSADE the best, I just adore the chemistry between Harrison Ford and Sean Connery. Other than that, the series pretty much for me rates in the logical order (RAIDERS, TEMPLE OF DOOM, CRYSTAL SKULL).

I do like the original STAR WARS trilogy exactly in the order of movies they came out. 

Likewise JAWS.