Sign in to follow this  
Guest Howe, Anne

What is the Bing Crosby movie....?

3 posts in this topic

Guest Howe, Anne

Several years ago I watched a movie in which Bing Crosby, as a middle aged, well-to-do man with grown children, decides to go to college to enjoy the whole academic experience. He falls in love with a professor, I believe, and his children are quite angry with his behavior. I think I remember Richard Beymer as one of his dorm mates. Anyone remember this one?

Guest finnie12, moira

Anne, you are looking for "High Time", which, when it was made in 1960, still indicated simple fun to most people, not altered states of conciousness. It was based on a Garson Kanin treatment and directed by Blake Edwards in his pre-Pink Panther stage, so that explains the quality of the storytelling. Though a quaint depiction of the collegiate experience when viewed from today's perspective, "High Time" is quite enjoyable, just as "Apartment for Peggy" remains a very entertaining snapshot of a somewhat idealized college experience. I did a quick search to see if it was in TCM's library, but unfortunately, it was not listed. You may wish to request it. I think I caught a few minutes of it years ago on AMC, but currently, it doesn't appear to be available on video/dvd. I hope you get another chance to enjoy this movie someday---Crosby's comfortably relaxed style permeated this movie. : )

Guest Anne

Thanks so much, moirafinnie12! I thought that might be the name of it, but I wasn't sure. I also saw it, probably on AMC, a few years ago and haven't seen it since. I will definitely request it on TCM. It was a very enjoyable film!