Sign in to follow this  
MissGoddess

Your Favorite Movie Love Stories

247 posts in this topic

I'm going to borrow the DVD from my brother on Thursday, so I'll post some caps from the film then. Will me and my Fountainhead ever Return to Paradise or will I "die before dawn," pushing the cart to Cordura?

If you hear a slight roar it's the collective foot tapping in the Gary Cooper thread.

Is this a leprosy joke? I thought so. I didn't know you liked Maugham. This is new to me. Were any of his books made into films?

I have tons of leprosy jokes, tons.

The only thing that could have made the film better is if Henry Fonda was Peter Ibbetson and not Gary Cooper. I would have really loved the film then.

:P

The closest for me would be Ball of Fire. She really does fall in love with some skinny fella who gets drunk off of buttermilk. You know who I'm talking about. The guy in The Searchers. It's on the tip of my tongue. No, not the Duke. This guy is nowhere near a star like the Duke. The other guy. Ohh, come on. Help me out. Ward Bond. That's it!

Wardy!! :x :x :x

Why does Miss Goddess always have to mention Stefanie's beautiful skin when her name comes up? It must be a goop thing.

I'm writing her to ask her what her brand of goop is.

My favorite movie love stories are Spellbound and The Tamarind Seed.

That makes you a *true BLUE* romantic, John!! ;)

julie_omar3.jpg

If you hear a slight roar it's the collective foot tapping in the Gary Cooper thread.

Slight? Collective? Uh-huh. Maybe I'll just watch Design for Living next and then not about it, too. I also have The Westerner, Beau Geste, and The Lives of a Bengal Lancer that I could watch and keep quiet on. After that, it's dry. I guess I better check the upcoming Coop on TCM schedule. Or, I could buy another Coop box set.

I have tons of leprosy jokes, tons.

I'm sure you do, native girl. I think it has something to do with rats and super rats.

The only thing that could have made the film better is if Henry Fonda was Peter Ibbetson and not Gary Cooper. I would have really loved the film then.

:P

I looks like your tongue needs to taste some wishy-washy soap.

I'm writing her to ask her what her brand of goop is.

Maybe you are rubbing your goop the wrong way. I've heard you are known to do that. :P

I personally think your 108-year-old skin looks fantastic.

By the way, have you seen my second list of love stories anywhere? No? I think I placed next to your first list.

By the way, have you seen my second list of love stories anywhere? No? I think I placed next to your first list.

Yes, I really should get to that. My goodness, I guess I just need more time by myself to compose my thoughts.

GraceKelly-ConantportraitfromTheSwa.jpg

oh my goodness! i also forgot the Tamarind Seed! i love that story. julie andrews made magic with omar shariff, and the soundtrack is so amazingly beautiful.

hiya frankiefurter!!

i dont know why she always mentions stephanie powers's skin when her name comes up. why are you asking me this question silly? i do think she does have beautiful skin though. heehee!

i am not a die hard john wayne fan, but i do love some of his movies. last night i watched 3 Godfathers, not that it is a romantic movie, b/c it is nowhere near one, but it was good. i love Donovan's Reef!!! it is among my top favorites of his movies.

i already told you i was sorry for inadvertently not mentioning hitchkock in my fave directors list frankie, what more do you want?! :)

are you gonna hang that over my head my whole life.......of course you are. heehee!

Here's the Lucky 13 (+ 1) of the moment for me:

*Bonnie and Clyde*

*Broken Blossoms*

*Casablanca*

*City Lights*

*Clash by Night*

*Day of Wrath*

*The Deer Hunter*

*Dr. Zhivago* (the moment Sir Alec says "It's a gift," I start blubbering uncontrollably)

*Gun Crazy*

*His Girl Friday*

*Sunrise*

*Sunset Boulevard*

*West Side Story*

*You Only Live Once*

I try to balance my sentimental side with some semblance of reality. Was tempted to include *Gaslight* .

Dagnabit! I hate lists. Forgot two of my favorites:

*Diner* (when that bouquet hits the table & Jack Scott sings Goodbye Baby over the closing credits, it's another blubber moment)

*Play It Again, Sam*

Often considered suing Woody Allen and Daniel Stern for identity theft for their respective roles above (+ Stern again for his voice-over work on The Wonder Years ), but my better angels prevailed.

You definitely get the award for most unique list, ChiO-pet! :) I have never seen Day of Wrath, Gun Crazy or You Only Live Once. And why not add *Gaslight* if you want to. But is it Ingrid and Charles or Ingrid and Joe who sparks your interest?

But is it Ingrid and Charles or Ingrid and Joe who sparks your interest?

Angela and Chuck.

Angela and Chuck.

Ha! I bet if Ingrid hadn't gummed up the works and that cop on the beat hadn't been so cute, those two would have ended up together. It looked like the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Quality Street

The Virgin Queen

The Swan

Cyrano de Bergerac

Move Over, Darling

Cinderfella

The Valley of Decision

Trapeze

The Harvey Girls

King Solomon's Mines

A Patch Of Blue

Tomorrow Is Forever

My Fair Lady

The Forbidden Street

Hollywood Cavalcade

Zoo in Budapest

The Man Who Laughs

Come to think of it Frank, they fall in love or have a certain fascination for submersibles and and other structures. It is their duty to destroy the humans wanting to hurt them and I enjoy watching this on film. So for this list I'll include:

It Came From Beneath The Sea (Octopus attacks San Fran)

20,000 Leagues Under Sea (Giant Squid)

Sh! Octopus

The Beast (Another Architeuthis dux, or Giant Squid)

Going back to the regular stories, I'll add "Romeo And Juliet" which I enjoyed with Leslie Howard and Norma Shearer.

I just saw LOVE IS A MANY SPLENDORED THING today on The Fox Channel. One of my favorites.

Never fails to leave me in a soggy heap. The gorgeous Alfred Newman score (I break down as soon as I hear it, right at the beginning), Jennifer on the hill.....the butterfly...."nothing is fair or unfair under heaven".....sob, sniff, I can't go on, Miss G., I'm starting to lose it now....BAWL, WAH.....Holden is just the perfect leading man for this adult romance.

sniff....there, it's subsided. Of course I have many others....I KNOW WHERE I'M GOING, THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR (lots of Kleenex; that exquisite Herrmann score that immediately has me weeping) YOUNG BESS; FANNY; THE LITTLE MINISTER; THE GOOD EARTH, KING KONG; MARTY; CROSSING DELANCEY;.PRIDE AND PREJUDICE, RAMONA (another box of Kleenex, please); ANNE OF GREEN GABLES; JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH. (the Professor and Karla, and Hans and Gertrude)

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

[bronxsieG] -- How could I leave out *King Kong* -- one of the great weepies. I always go for a good love triangle story, especially if a hunky beast is involved. Speaking of a hunky beast, my list should have included Cocteau's *Beauty and the Beast* .

Hi Metsie! I love that you have *Cyrano de Bergerac* on your list. Is it the one with Jose? I adore that story and his version of the movie, it's one of those that sends me on a major "crying jag". The dialogue is rich and strange and my ears, too used to insipid modern day speech, eat it up.

Hi Weepy Bronxgirl---it was watching *Love is a Many Splendored Thing* that inspired this thread for me. Newman's score never fails to be deeply moving, as is Hermann's for The Ghost and Mrs Muir. I still haven't seen *Ramona* but I want to; I never heard of it until this year on the boards and suddenly several people talked it up.

I guess I need to get to my own list pretty soon.

splendored4a.jpg

well it seems we all caught Love is a Many Splender Thing last night, b/c i watched it too. it was always one of my favorites, and i always enjoy it, and i always cry to it too. oh april you have to see Ramona, it is one of Don ameche's and loretta young's best films! its musical score is gorgeous too, you will love that especially.

Hi ButterTea! I didn't know Fox was airing LiaMST or I would have watched it yet again. Is *Ramona* floating around on VHS or does it air on the Fox Movie Channel ever? I'm really curious to see it.