Sign in to follow this  
MissGoddess

Your Favorite Movie Love Stories

247 posts in this topic

oh yes, Ramona is on VHS, i think you can find it on ebay, i havent checked on Amazon yet.

i got it from the Fox movie Channel though. im sure it will come on there again, and if you arent patient. heehee!. then go to ebay. :)

Here are my favorite movie love stories, broken out by decade but in no particular order. The list includes both classic romances and movies of other genres that feature a love angle which appeals to me. The ones in *bold* are particular favorites.

1920s

City Lights

The Gold Rush

The Beloved Rogue

Tempest

1930s

*One-Way Passage*

Desire

*Jewel Robbery*

*Algiers*

*Ninotchka*

*Gone With The Wind*

Conquest

Drums Along the Mohawk

The General Died at Dawn

Destry Rides Again

*Morocco*

*The Shanghai Express*

*Stagecoach*

*The Rains Came*

The Bitter Tea of General Yen

Dodsworth

*No Man of Her Own*

Mr Deeds Goes to Town

Manhattan Melodrama

*The Thin Man*

Topaze

*Test Pilot*

*My Man Godfrey*

Idiot's Delight

Red Dust

China Seas

It Happened One Night

Libeled Lady

*Peter Ibbetson*

*Captain Blood*

*Angel*

A Farewell to Arms

The Merry Widow

*Mannequin*

Top Hat

Swing Time

Holiday

Penny Serenade

*Made For Each Other*

*The Last of Mrs Cheney*

Wife vs. Secretary

*Hide-Out*

*When Ladies Meet*

*The Man in Possession*

*Fugitive Lovers*

Three Comrades

The Cowboy and the Lady

1940s

*Waterloo Bridge*

*For Whom the Bell Tolls*

*Saratoga Trunk*

*Valley of Decision*

*Random Harvest*

The Mark of Zorro

7 Sinners

The Spoilers

*I Walked with a Zombie*

*Cat People*

*Arch of Triumph*

**** Tonk

*The Ghost and Mrs Muir*

*The Razor's Edge*

*A Letter to Three Wives* (Paul Douglas/Linda Darnell)

Portrait of Jennie

They Died with Their Boots On

That Hamilton Woman

*Laura*

*The Shop Around the Corner*

*Casablanca*

*To Have and Have Not*

*Dark Passage*

*Rebecca*

Notorious

*Letter From an Unknown Woman*

*Johnny Eager*

East Side, West Side

*The Blue Dahlia*

The Palm Beach Story

The Fountainhead

*Angel and the Bad Man*

*Dark Victory*

*All This and Heaven, Too*

*Now, Voyager*

*Cass Timberlaine*

Gilda

*Mr and Mrs Smith*

No Time for Love

*On Dangerous Ground*

*Jane Eyre*

A Lady Takes a Chance

So Ends Our Night

Son of Fury

Humoresque

Pride and Prejudice

Body & Soul

*Nobody Lives Forever*

High Sierra

My Reputation

*Only Angels Have Wings*

1950s

*Mogambo*

Pandora and the Flying Dutchman

The Barefoot Contessa

All That Heaven Allows

*Cyrano de Bergerac*

*Garden of Evil*

*Man of the West*

The Hanging Tree

*Anastasia*

*The Journey*

All About Eve

Sabrina

*Love in the Afternoon*

*Roman Holiday*

The Big Country

Some Came Running

The Horse Soldiers

*Rio Grande*

*Soldier of Fortune*

*Love is a Many Splendored Thing*

*The World of Suzy Wong*

The Swan

The Man with the Golden Arm

Bell, Book and Candle

A Summer Place

*Separate Tables*

*Kings Go Forth*

*Ten North Frederick*

*Mr Peabody and the Mermaid*

*About Mrs Leslie*

Rio Bravo

*Hondo*

The Sea Chase

*The Proud Rebel*

*Shane*

Ride, Vacquero!

His Kind of Woman

*Clash by Night*

*Another Time, Another Place*

*The Sun Also Rises*

The Snows of Kilimanjaro

Gigi

*To Catch a Thief*

An Affair to Remember

*Indiscreet*

*Rear Window*

*Vertigo*

*The Far Country*

Susan Slept Here

From Here to Eternity (Burt & Deborah)

It Started in Naples

From the Terrace

The Young Philadelphians

1960s

*The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance*

*The Detective*

*The Misfits*

*Hard Contract*

*Charade*

*Sylvia*

*Doctor Zhivago*

*Love with the Proper Stranger*

The Lion

The Americanization of Emily

*The Sandpiper*

The Manchurian Candidate

The Courtship of Eddie's Father

Breakfast at Tiffany's

The Grass is Greener

*Marnie*

*The Birds*

Hatari!

Strangers When We Meet

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?

The Pink Panther

In Harm's Way

Un Homme et Une Femme

1970s

*The Tamarind Seed*

Love Story

Breezy

1980s

Out of Africa

Somewhere in Time

The Lover

Arthur

1990s

*Emma*

Il Postino

L.A. Confidential

2000s

rien

Message was edited by: MissGoddess

Those are SUPERB choices!!!! Alot of them I love, too!!! Like "Red Dust". I loooove that movie. That has to be one of the most sexiest, steamiest films ever made!!!

Ha! Well, my list is so long I hardly left ANY movie off.

No 12 Angry Men?! I don't see Cape Fear, M, Once Upon a Time in the West, Scarlet Street, The Wild Bunch, or Psycho, either.

Anyways, what do you think of my second list? Ain't it awesome!

I'll "criticize" your list later, Miss G(olightly). MUCH later. Probably around Christmas.

Well I've never seen The Wild Bunch or all of OUATITW so that's my 'scuse on those. The others, well, I suppose there are some people who find those romantic.

Constructive criticism is always welcome. As long as it does not touch upon Gary Cooper, Clark Gable or John Ford. :P

The Sweet One -- but frankie, those arent really considered romantic movies, they fall under another category.

But I love them! I love them so. Where's my two dollars?

The Unsweet One -- Well I've never seen The Wild Bunch or all of OUATITW so that's my 'scuse on those. The others, well, I suppose there are some people who find those romantic.

A hot, sweaty jury room filled with men in New York City, can it get any more romantic than that?

Constructive criticism is always welcome. As long as it does not touch upon Gary Cooper, Clark Gable or John Ford.

Who's the foreman on this construction site? My only real criticism with your list is Gary Cooper, Clark Gable, and John Ford.

heehee! "gee i dunno, my brother got his arm caught in the microwave, so it is kind of a crisis right now, come back later." heehee!

okay frankie, since you love them ill make a new category for you called the frankie genre of movies!

Message was edited by: butterscotchgreer

THIS is the foreman.

ward-bond-2-sized.jpg

Isn't there a Cowboys game about to start somewhere? That is, if all you can do is criticize three towering geniuses. Well, one genius and two towers anyway.

but frankie, those arent really considered romantic movies, they fall under another category

The others, well, I suppose there are some people who find those romantic.

You win, FrankieG, though maybe on a technicality. I believe the initial poster -- who might that be? Hmmm. -- asked for favorite "love stories", not "romance". As Tina sang, "What's romance got to do with it/Do with it?" Or something like that.

*Scarlet Street* -- Excellent selection. Need one by an "F" director, say *Naked Kiss* .

Hi, Miss Towering Genius (of goop) -- THIS is the foreman.

Him? Doesn't scare me a bit. Do you know what foreman does? One who with hands on her hips, impatiently tapping her foot on the ground while shooting a scornful look. Now that's a foreman I'm scared of.

Isn't there a Cowboys game about to start somewhere?

Ask Fordy Guns, he's the Cowboy genius. Don't you have a nightclub act to get ready for?

Heya, Sweet, Sweet, Sweet T's Ahhh Song -- heehee! "gee i dunno, my brother got his arm caught in the microwave, so it is kind of a crisis right now, come back later." heehee!

Hey, a love story! I'm going to ski the K-12 on Saturday, wanna come wit'? Yes, I'm trying to win Beth's love back.

okay frankie, since you love them ill make a new category for you called the frankie genre of movies!

Thank you, Sweet Tea. Film noirrorerns is probably my genre. The love runneth over, too. Clark Gable and Gary Cooper can't hold a lynch-mob torch to Peter Lorre and Boris Karloff.

Hey, ChiO and the MANN -- You win, FrankieG, though maybe on a technicality. I believe the initial poster -- who might that be? Hmmm. -- asked for favorite "love stories", not "romance". As Tina sang, "What's romance got to do with it/Do with it?" Or something like that.

Scarlet Street -- Excellent selection. Need one by an "F" director, say Naked Kiss.

I figured a Chicagoan would understand the true meaning of love. Texas girls see out of one eye and cry out the other.

By the way, my second list will feature an "F" director love story. But you already know which one this is.

I got tripped on a technicality. I'm not quite sure who was in love in 12 Angry Men...and I don't want to know! :)

I just bought "Mogambo" recently but I haven't watched it yet.

I checked o na movie site and see where all the cjaracters names have been cjanged. I wonder why?

Also, are there any other major differences between the original and the remake?

Hey, a love story! I'm going to ski the K-12 on Saturday, wanna come wit'? Yes, I'm trying to win Beth's love back.

i would consider Better Off Dead a great love story. i guess i didnt mention that one, unbenownst naturally. heehee!

i just love the ending when they are in the baseball stadium, kissing on the hood of the car with that awesome song playing!

sure ill come with ya frankiescott!!! and dont worry if you dont know how here's some good advice..."go that way really fast, if something gets in your way turn". heehee! i dont like beth though, you need monique!

Thank you, Sweet Tea. Film noirrorerns is probably my genre. The love runneth over, too. Clark Gable and Gary Cooper can't hold a lynch-mob torch to Peter Lorre and Boris Karloff.

i dont think i agree with the last statemnet frankie, gary can hold the torch on the statue of liberty over any man! heehee! well walter can hold the olympic torch. heehee! that new genre is now christianed, frankienoir.

Ford and John Lee Mahin didn't want to create just a "remake" but to tailor the story somewhat to Ford's own vision. He wasn't entirely happy with the way things turned out, but I love it. I think the director was also quite taken with Ava and wanted to exploit her character a little better, which shows; she received her only Oscar nomination for the part.

Brando, ya gotta check out "Red Dust" and see those changes for yourself. ANY reason to watch Ava & Gable is a good reason.

"I got tripped on a technicality. I'm not quite sure who was in love in 12 Angry Men...and I don't want to know!"

Ah-ha...I thought I saw Jack Klugman giving Jack Warden a come-hither look.

Now for the question at hand...I loved these love stories BEFORE things took a turn for the worse for some of the couple involved:

"Notorious." (Ingrid & Cary)

"Four Daughters" (Jeffrey Lynn & Priscilla Lane)

"Vertigo" (Stewart & Novak)

"A Place in the Sun" (Monty & Elizabeth: "I'll be your pick-up.")

"The Clock" (Judy & Robert Walker)

Myrna Loy & William Powell (in anything)

"Coming Home" (Fonda & Voight: don't STONE me. This thread is about love!)

"Lassie Come Home (Roddy McDowall & Lassie. HEY, wha'cha tryin' to say...that ain't love?)

"When Night Is Falling" (Canadian film that is totally captivating. IMDB it).

"A Free Soul" (Gable & Shearer...twisted/sick/masochistic)

"Gilda" (Glenn Ford & George Macready: Oh c'mon! You know Rita was in the way!!)

"The Awful Truth" (Cary & Irene)

And a score of others...

hey april!!

i loved Mogambo, and een though i am not an Ava Gardner fan, i think she earned her oscar nomination. she was sensational in the part! i also loved Red Dust, and i must say that i always thought it was better than Mogambo, but they were both great! i honestly dont know why i like it so much, b.c it had jean harlow, and i am not much of a fan of her either, but man it was a great romance!