Sign in to follow this  
butterscotchgreer

your favorite christmas movies...HO HO HO!!

59 posts in this topic

Christmas in Connecticut

All I Want for Christmas

Holiday

Holiday Inn

It's a Wonderful Life

the Bishop's Wife

a Christmas Story

Miracle on 34th Street

White Christmas

Meet Me in St. Louis

Christmas Eve

the Man is the Santa Claus Suit

Goodbye Mr. Chips

Holiday affair

the little drummer boy part 1

the little drummer boy part 2

blossoms in the dust(you know, noone thinks of this one as a christmas movie, but there are quite a few christmases in it, and it ends at christmas time. it even has the spirit of christmas in it. all through it!)

it came upon a midnight clear

mrs. santa claus

good sam

meet john doe

a boyfriend for christmas

the santa clause

the santa clause 2

how the grinch stole christmas

home alone

jingle all the way

a mom for christmas

rudolf the red nose reindeer

a muppet christmas carol

tenth avenue angel

santa clause seeks mrs. clause

eloise at christmas

borrowed hearts

wow! talk about a long list, can you tell i love watching christmas movies? heehee! they just light up the holidays!

White Christmas

It Happened on 5th Avenue

Home Alone 2

Black Christmas

The Santa Clause

Mrs. Santa Claus

A Christmas Story

The Nativity Story

A Christmas Carol w/ George C. Scott

and, since there are a couple of Christams scenes, The Trouble With Angels

i love your list john..just loverly!!!

i noticed you like mrs. santa clause. yay!! not many people i know even know what this movie is. i just love it and have it memorized. i think it is an underappreciated christmas movie, and angela looks so gorgeous as mrs. clause. i love the songs in it and the story is just too cute! did you know that that mom of "soapbox sadie" heehee! is the eldest daughter in Fiddler on the Roof? my she looks different, but is aging well!

now if i would have known mrs. clause felt left out at christmas time, i would have written all my letters to mr. and mrs. clause when i was 6 years old .heehee!

It was very popular when it aired, and they showed it a couple of years in a row. I have it on laserdisc and I have the soundtrack recording, as well. I love all of Jerry Herman's musicals!

wow! someone else who love jerry herman! woohoo!

i love all his stuff. i really want the soundtrack to this movie, but i havent seen it anywhere. i have this movie on DVD too, and love watching it over and over. i love dancing to all the songs and singing to them too. especially that whistling one in the back of that theater when they are playing with all those pretty costumes, and "almost young". man i would love to find this recording somewhere, do you have any ideas where i might find it if it is on a cd?

Other than an internet search, I have no idea where you might find a copy.

Next to Richard Rodgers, Jerry Herman is my favorite composer. When I was doing my stage acting, I appeared in a production of his, Milk and Honey, which has so many great tunes. I saw both the original and many other productions of Hello, Dolly! and Mame, as well as Mack and Mabel and La Cage aux Folles, whose cast included a very old friend of mine.

i love both of those composers. my other faves are:

hammerstein

the gershwins

jerome kern

irving berlin

adolph green

johnny green

betty comden

noel coward

arthur freed

harold arlen

lorenz hart

cole porter

The Miracle Maker (2000)

The Nativity Story (2006)

The Bells Of St. Mary's (1945)

Three Godfathers (1948)

A Christmas Carol (1938 & 51)

It's A Wonderful Life (1946)

The Holly And The Ivy (1952)

Meet Me In St. Louis (1944)

Heidi (1937)

Remember The Night (1940)

Christmas In Connecticut (1945)

White Christmas (1954)

Holiday Inn (1942)

A Christmas Story (1983)

Toy Story (1995)

Miracle On 34th Street (1947)

I'll Be Seeing You (1944)

Since You Went Away (1944)

While You Were Sleeping (1995)

Comfort And Joy (1984)

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

on TV

A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965)

How The Grinch Stole Christmas (1966)

assorted Disney Christmas cartoons

Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol (1962)

Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer (1964)

anywhere I can see them

Handel's MESSIAH

Menotti's AMAHL AND THE NIGHT VISITORS (this used to be shown on TV)

Tchaikovsky's THE NUTCRACKER SUITE

and my parish's presentation of LOS PASTORES (sometimes on public access TV)

Nice topic, butterscotchgreer!

you know, i just watched 3 Godfathers the other night and totally forgot to list it, heehee!

how could i forget While you were Sleeping! i just love that movie! im glad you liked the topic cascabel!

The Nightmare Before Christmas is another great choice, though last time I checked the title was mysteriously still OOP. Which is odd, since they've obviously cared enough about the movie to re-release it theatrically in 3-D format the last two years.

Wow, so many great movies here i didn't even know about The Holly and The Ivy, i'll have to look that one up..does anyone know off hand if is out on DVD or ever on vhs? or even on TCM ever?

Well here is list of my favorites, but i think ill repeat so many already listed..you guys have such great taste in Christmas movies! :)

THE BELLS OF ST. MARY'S

COME TO THE STABLE

THE BISHOP'S WIFE

IT HAPPENED ONE CHRISTMAS

CHRISTMAS EVE

HOLIDAY AFFAIR

THE HOMECOMMING

A CHRISTMAS CAROL

A MOM FOR CHRISTMAS

A MESSAGE FROM HOLLY

MRS. SANTA CLAUS

ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS

PRANCER

WHITE CHRISTMAS

A DIVA'S CHRISTMAS CAROL

EBBIE

MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS

IN THE GOOD OLD SUMMERTIME(Christmas sequence)

FG

Die Hard 1 & 2..since it is XMAS then

Seriously it is Miracle on 34th Street

I also like those vintage Rudolph and Frosty cartoons

grinch5.jpg

Hi, ChristmasGreer! -- Guess what film I watch every Christmas season? Better Off Dead. I actually don't have the film on DVD (just VHS) or I would post a couple Christmas morning caps from that film. By the way, I got Beth a cute little teddy bear for Christmas this year. I hope she likes it.

I'm a big kid, so I prefer the childish stuff at Christmastime. Charlie Brown, Rudolph, Frosty, the Grinch, and the Muppets is where I'm at. I still love A Christmas Story, even though it's been played to death, and Christmas Vacation.

I also like Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOsWGjluXZ0&feature=related

Hiya, Cascabel -- You never fail to impress me. Never.

Hi, Film Fatale -- You always fail to impress me. :) Actually, quite the opposite. You did surprise me on this thread, though. Rudolph and Frosty, eh? Not bad.

Hey, John -- You get props for mentioning Black Christmas. I just watched that film for the first time this year. I like it.

okay it seems i have to modify my first post, b/c i left out two very imp[ortant movies in my life at christmas here: In the Good Old Summertime, which i watch every christmas and all year round heehee!, and Better Off Dead. it is such a funy movie and i absolutely love watching it with my family!! that is awesome, frankie that you also love Better Off Dead. i havent met many people who also share this liking with me., or people who will admit it anyway.

it is so funny how they get all those tv dinners as presents for christmas, and wear those rediculous reindeer costumes. i love all the lines in that movie as well. i know i have already told you this frankie, but i am gonna say it again, b/c i love saying this, "go that way really fast, if something gets in your way....turn." oh i love it!

i love the christmas song judy sings in Summertime. it is so beautiful and i just love the whole movie!

BETTER OFF DEAD! So quotable...

"gee, Ricky, sure am sorry your mom blew up. She'll be okay, though...won't be able to eat spicy foods for a while...'

"LOVE! The language of LOVE!"

"I want my two dollars!"

:D LOL!

I like to watch films at Christmas that just have holiday scenes in them, too. Some of my faves in that category are: LITTLE WOMEN, AUNTIE MAME, and MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS.

Sandy K

aahh! some of my fav lines!

i always use, " i want my two dollars!"

"Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

"I have great fear of tools. I once made a birdhouse in woodshop and the fair housing committee condemned it......my litle borhte is making a rocket ship out of house hold appliences, like blenders, i can't"

i love this movie, it always cracks me up!

little women has such a great christmas scene, both of them, well all three of them if you count the most recent one. i forgot Auntie Mame had a christmas scene in it, that was a good one too!

i have the original broadway scoundrack to Mame with angela lansbury, and on it is "We Need A Little Christmas". i always get it out and listen to that one song at christmas. i do hear other versions of it on the radio, but i like this one the best of course. ;)

Hi Theresa, I also own the cd to Mame with Angela Lansbury. What a shame she wasn`t able to recreate the role for the movie version. Another movie that shows a Christmas scene is Young At Heart with Doris Day and Frank Sinatra.

A Christmas Story- has seen it so many times I can quote the whole movie, and has to be one of the funniest movies ever

How the Grinch Stole Christmas- best part is the fact that one of my fave actors narrates it, Boris Karloff

A Charlie Brown Christmas

The Little Drummer Boy, both parts 1 & 2

Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer

A Year without A Santa Claus- I love both the Heat & Cold Misers, and their musical numbers are a hoot!

Santa Claus Is Coming To Town

Nestor, The Long-eared Christmas Donkey

'Twas The Night Before Christmas