TopBilled

International films with LGBT themes

59 posts in this topic

There's French Canadian film on Hulu worth mentioning here:

screen13.jpg

The main character is a young guy named Alex who is a hustler and a drug addict in Montreal. The film starts kind of randomly, and in fact much of the film is just that (random). Alex is on the wintry streets of the city trying to pick up his next client. It doesn't take long before he finds someone. He finds a few someones. 

The goal is to have sex for cash that he can use to purchase heroin or whatever he feels like taking. There are a group of guys his age. Sometimes they share (clients and drugs). Early on we see Alex has a deep emotional attachment with one of the other hustlers he knows, but that connection weakens over time. They have sex and do drugs together in between clients. Did I tell you there's a lot of sex and a lot of drug use in this film.

screen-shot-2017-09-22-at-6-29-27-pm.png

In a way, despite the randomness of events, the filmmaker does bring it somewhat full circle. Alex and the others keep canvassing the same general area repeating what they do with slight variations. I think what I love about Rodrigue Jean's film is that there are no real judgments or condemning of anything the characters do. They're almost like animals covering the same territory, with their little rituals and their moment-by-moment need for basic survival. The cinematography uses a lot of lengthy tracking shots. 

It's obvious these are actors in the main roles (and some of them are not so great) but the whole thing has a pseudo documentary feel to it. My guess is they improvised a lot and just went with whatever they were feeling in the moment. 

The title is kind of interesting, because you'd almost expect a historical romance. And maybe on some level that's what it is. They're at war with the elements, in love with the idea of coming close to death as many times as they can, before they extract some sort of truth or meaning from a meager existence. It's a film that stays with the viewer because of how candid it is.

It does sound "interesting" - but these films are often such a downer.

• Like 1

It does sound "interesting" - but these films are often such a downer.

Yes they can be. This one's rather gritty. Films like these tend to take more risks. Probably not everyone's cup of tea, obviously. I didn't like the excessive drug scenes but then I realised it's a way of life for the characters and it's their story. And in that context, we see what it leads to.

• Like 2

Speaking of Finland, this is what they entered into the Oscar race even though it didn't make the top 5 cut in the Foreign Language Feature category.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Jlewis said:

Speaking of Finland, this is what they entered into the Oscar race even though it didn't make the top 5 cut in the Foreign Language Feature category.

It's kind of funny that one of the masters of homoerotic art gets his own prestigious bio-pic what would Charlton Heston think?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know what Heston would have thought. He was a model for artists himself pre-Hollywood, allegedly even posing nude a few times. He had no qualms exposing his back end in Planet Of The Apes, even with other guys in a group "bro bonding" session that was similar to Mel Gibson and his bro-buddies in Gallipoli.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jlewis said:

I don't know what Heston would have thought. He was a model for artists himself pre-Hollywood, allegedly even posing nude a few times. He had no qualms exposing his back end in Planet Of The Apes, even with other guys in a group "bro bonding" session that was similar to Mel Gibson and his bro-buddies in Gallipoli.

He also played a famous homosexual, Michelangelo, in "The Agony and the Ecstasy".

1 hour ago, rayban said:

He also played a famous homosexual, Michelangelo, in "The Agony and the Ecstasy".

Yes Heston was the asexual Michaelangelo- and you are right Jlewis he was also a nude artist model - love to see one of those art works by the way...just for cinematic reasons of course:rolleyes:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jaragon said:

Yes Heston was the asexual Michaelangelo- and you are right Jlewis he was also a nude artist model - love to see one of those art works by the way...just for cinematic reasons of course:rolleyes:

You're such a devil!:rolleyes:

3 hours ago, rayban said:

... he did provided more agony than ecstasy in that one.

Amusingly you have to "age verify" just to watch the 1965 trailer. Is it that obscene for the tiny tots viewing YouTube without parental supervision? All Heston does is shout "I will paint man as God made him... in the glory of his nakedness!!!!"

• Like 2

... and some female nudity. Even in the snow! Definitely an "art house" production.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jlewis said:

... and some female nudity. Even in the snow! Definitely an "art house" production.

Yes it looks very artsy

"The Untamed" ( La Region Salvaje) (2016) a fascinating strange movie about a married couple. The husband is having a down low affair with his brother in law.  The wive seems drawn to an ambiguously sexual girl. And they are all are transformed by a close encounter with a **** alien octopus.  The director is  David Lynch fan.https://youtu.be/y-Z2FyPe6d0

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jaragon said:

"The Untamed" ( La Region Salvaje) (2016) a fascinating strange movie about a married couple. The husband is having a down low affair with his brother in law.  The wive seems drawn to an ambiguously sexual girl. And they are all are transformed by a close encounter with a **** alien octopus.  The director is  David Lynch fan.https://youtu.be/y-Z2FyPe6d0

Definitely not going to be a Hollywood blockbuster. But maybe different enough to become a cult classic. It reminds me of Hemingway's posthumously published novel The Garden of Eden.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Garden_of_Eden_(novel)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Definitely not going to be a Hollywood blockbuster. But maybe different enough to become a cult classic. It reminds me of Hemingway's posthumously published novel The Garden of Eden.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Garden_of_Eden_(novel)

I saw it on HBO Latino and could not stop watching it- yes I do like strange movies- the director says the creature which is very well done for a low budget movie is suppose to be a metaphor for violence(?!) It looked to me like an erotic HP Lovecraft squid.  "The Garden of Eden" with all it's intriguing bisexual angles was made into a dull movie

• Like 1

Roberto Perez Toledo's "Foam Party" (2017) original title "Como La Espuma" various characters try to find love and human connection during a sex party.  There is something for everyone in the good looking cast; including Fracesc Gasco- a gay paleontologist who can be found as Pacozoic on Instagram

• Like 1

On 4/25/2018 at 7:06 PM, jaragon said:

A close friend saw it on Hulu- you can rent in on Amazon Prime

I see they are crowdfunding to raise money for a sequel.