TopBilled

International films with LGBT themes

58 posts in this topic

On 5/13/2018 at 10:10 PM, TopBilled said:

I see they are crowdfunding to raise money for a sequel.

I saw it on Hulu. The plot seemed a bit dated even for 2013. It does feature the actor who plays Wolfgang on Sense8.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Jacques Tati Ana said:

I saw it on Hulu. The plot seemed a bit dated even for 2013. It does feature the actor who plays Wolfgang on Sense8.

In your view what makes it seem "dated"...? Just curious to find out what you meant.

5 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

In your view what makes it seem "dated"...? Just curious to find out what you meant.

It lacked thematic depth and sophistication.  I think it's still possible to make an interesting film about someone in the closet, but this seemed very underbaked.  The main character is in the closet and begins an affair with another man on the eve of the birth of his first child.  And he lives with his girlfriend next door to his parents.  It uses all of these plot structures to create tension but it's not really exploring them. The stakes seem so high, but it wasn't really exploring the closet or coming out or dealing with all of these manufactured situations. And the other cop was... I don't know.  We know almost nothing about him.  Certainly nothing about his life.  He's essentially a plot device to set the whole thing in motion.

1 minute ago, Jacques Tati Ana said:

It lacked thematic depth and sophistication.  I think it's still possible to make an interesting film about someone in the closet, but this seemed very underbaked.  The main character is in the closet and begins an affair with another man on the eve of the birth of his first child.  And he lives with his girlfriend next door to his parents.  It uses all of these plot structures to create tension but it's not really exploring them. The stakes seem so high, but it wasn't really exploring the closet or coming out or dealing with all of these manufactured situations. And the other cop was... I don't know.  We know almost nothing about him.  Certainly nothing about his life.  He's essentially a plot device to set the whole thing in motion.

Okay. But how does this make the story dated? Are you saying that coming out stories are passé on some level?

Just now, TopBilled said:

Okay. But how does this make the story dated? Are you saying that coming out stories are passé on some level?

Not that coming out stories are dated per se, but that, as a viewer, I wanted an exploration of the topic that seem at least somewhat contemporary.  The shallowness of the film seemed more like an early consciousness raising film - opening up the mere idea that a guy could be in the closet or that being in the closet is bad. It falls far short of saying anything interesting beyond, "closet bad." It's like, "ok, I get that this guy's situation is extremely complicated.  Now what?"  This all seems very basic to me.  So, by dated, I guess I meant that this seems like it comes from the 90's and not from 2013.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jacques Tati Ana said:

Not that coming out stories are dated per se, but that, as a viewer, I wanted an exploration of the topic that seem at least somewhat contemporary.  The shallowness of the film seemed more like an early consciousness raising film - opening up the mere idea that a guy could be in the closet or that being in the closet is bad. It falls far short of saying anything interesting beyond, "closet bad." It's like, "ok, I get that this guy's situation is extremely complicated.  Now what?"  This all seems very basic to me.  So, by dated, I guess I meant that this seems like it comes from the 90's and not from 2013.

I'll have to checked this out - I read something about how we don't need coming out films because we live in a post gay world?! Seriously?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, jaragon said:

I'll have to checked this out - I read something about how we don't need coming out films because we live in a post gay world?! Seriously?

Cool.  I hope you enjoy it.  That said, I wouldn't really call it a coming out story. Maybe they'll save that for the sequel.

• Like 1