TopBilled

International films with LGBT themes

100 posts in this topic

On 5/13/2018 at 10:10 PM, TopBilled said:

I see they are crowdfunding to raise money for a sequel.

I saw it on Hulu. The plot seemed a bit dated even for 2013. It does feature the actor who plays Wolfgang on Sense8.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Jacques Tati Ana said:

I saw it on Hulu. The plot seemed a bit dated even for 2013. It does feature the actor who plays Wolfgang on Sense8.

In your view what makes it seem "dated"...? Just curious to find out what you meant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

In your view what makes it seem "dated"...? Just curious to find out what you meant.

It lacked thematic depth and sophistication.  I think it's still possible to make an interesting film about someone in the closet, but this seemed very underbaked.  The main character is in the closet and begins an affair with another man on the eve of the birth of his first child.  And he lives with his girlfriend next door to his parents.  It uses all of these plot structures to create tension but it's not really exploring them. The stakes seem so high, but it wasn't really exploring the closet or coming out or dealing with all of these manufactured situations. And the other cop was... I don't know.  We know almost nothing about him.  Certainly nothing about his life.  He's essentially a plot device to set the whole thing in motion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jacques Tati Ana said:

It lacked thematic depth and sophistication.  I think it's still possible to make an interesting film about someone in the closet, but this seemed very underbaked.  The main character is in the closet and begins an affair with another man on the eve of the birth of his first child.  And he lives with his girlfriend next door to his parents.  It uses all of these plot structures to create tension but it's not really exploring them. The stakes seem so high, but it wasn't really exploring the closet or coming out or dealing with all of these manufactured situations. And the other cop was... I don't know.  We know almost nothing about him.  Certainly nothing about his life.  He's essentially a plot device to set the whole thing in motion.

Okay. But how does this make the story dated? Are you saying that coming out stories are passé on some level?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TopBilled said:

Okay. But how does this make the story dated? Are you saying that coming out stories are passé on some level?

Not that coming out stories are dated per se, but that, as a viewer, I wanted an exploration of the topic that seem at least somewhat contemporary.  The shallowness of the film seemed more like an early consciousness raising film - opening up the mere idea that a guy could be in the closet or that being in the closet is bad. It falls far short of saying anything interesting beyond, "closet bad." It's like, "ok, I get that this guy's situation is extremely complicated.  Now what?"  This all seems very basic to me.  So, by dated, I guess I meant that this seems like it comes from the 90's and not from 2013.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jacques Tati Ana said:

Not that coming out stories are dated per se, but that, as a viewer, I wanted an exploration of the topic that seem at least somewhat contemporary.  The shallowness of the film seemed more like an early consciousness raising film - opening up the mere idea that a guy could be in the closet or that being in the closet is bad. It falls far short of saying anything interesting beyond, "closet bad." It's like, "ok, I get that this guy's situation is extremely complicated.  Now what?"  This all seems very basic to me.  So, by dated, I guess I meant that this seems like it comes from the 90's and not from 2013.

I'll have to checked this out - I read something about how we don't need coming out films because we live in a post gay world?! Seriously?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, jaragon said:

I'll have to checked this out - I read something about how we don't need coming out films because we live in a post gay world?! Seriously?

Cool.  I hope you enjoy it.  That said, I wouldn't really call it a coming out story. Maybe they'll save that for the sequel.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks for keeping the thread going, jaragon. So many interesting examples you've added.

Sadly many of these foreign gay theme films barely get released- I stumbled across the last one while doing a search for cute guys😉

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jaragon said:

Sadly many of these foreign gay theme films barely get released- I stumbled across the last one while doing a search for cute guys😉

Do you mean they aren't released in America? What about in their native countries?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Do you mean they aren't released in America? What about in their native countries?

In the US they barely get theatrical release-most of these movies I found doing a search in Amazon- in NY you do get some gay theme movies released theatrically like "The Cake Maker"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jaragon said:

In the US they barely get theatrical release-most of these movies I found doing a search in Amazon- in NY you do get some gay theme movies released theatrically like "The Cake Maker"

Thanks. Yes, they appeal to a niche market already because of the subject matter. But then they also have the disadvantage of being in another language, which could turn people off who don't like reading subtitles. But it doesn't meant the films shouldn't be shown. They should have the widest release possible.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks. Yes, they appeal to a niche market already because of the subject matter. But then they also have the disadvantage of being in another language, which could turn people off who don't like reading subtitles. But it doesn't meant the films shouldn't be shown. They should have the widest release possible.

These gay films are out there- but one has to find them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jaragon said:

These gay films are out there- but one has to find them

It might be helpful to mention where the films can be found. Are you finding them at the local art cinema? On Amazon? On DVDs at the public library? On YouTube? 

Some of my earlier posts in the thread were about films I had found on Hulu. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

It might be helpful to mention where the films can be found. Are you finding them at the local art cinema? On Amazon? On DVDs at the public library? On YouTube? 

Some of my earlier posts in the thread were about films I had found on Hulu. 

Good point- a lot of these films are available on dvd from TLA Video- who seem to classify any movie with even the slightest gay content as long as they can put a cute guy in the DVD cover.  Netflix and Amazon also have gay films

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ventura Pons' "Caresses" (1998) a hypnotic film about the encounters of various character in Barcelona during one night.  They include a married couple, a mother and a daughter, two middle aged lesbians, a father and son and an older gay man and his young lover.  The last two are very erotic.  Not too familiar with this director's work but I do want to see more- in Catalan with English subtitles available for free on Amazon Prime

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, jaragon said:

Ventura Pons' "Caresses" (1998) a hypnotic film about the encounters of various character in Barcelona during one night.  They include a married couple, a mother and a daughter, two middle aged lesbians, a father and son and an older gay man and his young lover.  The last two are very erotic.  Not too familiar with this director's work but I do want to see more- in Catalan with English subtitles available for free on Amazon Prime

He made the extremely effective romantic drama from 2002, "Food Of Love" -

51vZZHfZ5CL._SY445_.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, rayban said:

He made the extremely effective romantic drama from 2002, "Food Of Love" -

51vZZHfZ5CL._SY445_.jpg

This was adapted from David Leavit's novel  "The Page Turner". I was going to post the trailer for  "Caricias" but it's too hot for TCM😉-

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us