TopBilled

International films with LGBT themes

104 posts in this topic

"Ander" (2009) written and directed by Roberto Caston.  Arden (Joseau Bengoxtea) lives with his mother and sister in the Basque country. He spends his day working in a factory and taking care of their small farm. His nights are lonely except for an occasional visit to a local prostitute. But everything changes when  Ander breaks his leg and his sister hires Jose a young Peruvian to help on the farm.  Caston takes his time developing the men's relationship  The film captures the slow rhythm of country living.  The two leads are not the usual pretty boy stars of gay film which is probably why this good movie did not get a wider release. In Basque and Spanish with English subtitles- you can find in on Amazon Prime. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, jaragon said:

"Ander" (2009) written and directed by Roberto Caston.  Arden (Joseau Bengoxtea) lives with his mother and sister in the Basque country. He spends his day working in a factory and taking care of their small farm. His nights are lonely except for an occasional visit to a local prostitute. But everything changes when  Ander breaks his leg and his sister hires Jose a young Peruvian to help on the farm.  Caston takes his time developing the men's relationship  The film captures the slow rhythm of country living.  The two leads are not the usual pretty boy stars of gay film which is probably why this good movie did not get a wider release. In Basque and Spanish with English subtitles- you can find in on Amazon Prime. 

Sounds like the type of film I'd enjoy watching. It reminds me of JONATHAN (2016). Thanks for mentioning it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Sounds like the type of film I'd enjoy watching. It reminds me of JONATHAN (2016). Thanks for mentioning it. 

It was a pleasant surprise- a bit slow for my taste - but the character and setting made a different kind of gay love story - it's one of those films that you find while doing a gay movie search on Amazon Prime.

• Like 2

One could probably write an article about gay movies in rural settings. I imagine this is the "Brokebakc Mountain" influence which showed that men in love do not just live in big cities.   "Brokeback Mountain" had two gorgeous male stars as the leads but in the story the characters are actually average looking men. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jaragon said:

One could probably write an article about gay movies in rural settings. I imagine this is the "Brokebakc Mountain" influence which showed that men in love do not just live in big cities.   "Brokeback Mountain" had two gorgeous male stars as the leads but in the story the characters are actually average looking men. 

The film C.O.G. which I discussed on another thread takes place in rural Oregon and has a very Steinbeck-like quality to it. I'm always a bit cautious giving so much credit to BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN. It's probably not as original as we think. It's certainly a turning point in mainstream cinema. But I'd say films like MY OWN PRIVATE IDAHO and EVEN COWGIRLS GET THE BLUES, which show less glamorous gay characters, were ahead of the game and just as influential. 

• Like 1

The star of "C.O.G" is a gorgeous-looking young man, though.

MV5BMTExODkwNTAzODBeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDAz

I would include the two stars of "God's Own Country" - Josh O'Connor and Alec Secareanu.

9160184_web1_171101-sea-P1-film-2.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

The film C.O.G. which I discussed on another thread takes place in rural Oregon and has a very Steinbeck-like quality to it. I'm always a bit cautious giving so much credit to BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN. It's probably not as original as we think. It's certainly a turning point in mainstream cinema. But I'd say films like MY OWN PRIVATE IDAHO and EVEN COWGIRLS GET THE BLUES, which show less glamorous gay characters, were ahead of the game and just as influential. 

"Brokeback Mountain" is cinema landmark because it broke out of the gay ghetto cinema. Of course there were  other gay films with a rural settings like the ones you mention- but those are considered art films .  "Brokeback Moutain" became part of mainstream pop culture even to people who had not seen the movie.

21 minutes ago, jaragon said:

"Brokeback Mountain" is cinema landmark because it broke out of the gay ghetto cinema. Of course there were  other gay films with a rural settings like the ones you mention- but those are considered art films .  "Brokeback Moutain" became part of mainstream pop culture even to people who had not seen the movie.

Yes, as I said BROKEBACK was a turning point in mainstream cinema. However, I don't think we should place added emphasis on it because of that. Especially if it comes at the expense of those earlier films. I tend to resent it when people make one film the "savior" film of a culture. First, it's a lot to live up to, and second, it crowds out other noteworthy films. When we elevate one work so highly, we start to neglect other important filmmakers who toil in this vein, drowning out voices that can and should still be heard. BROKEBACK's success becomes counterproductive if it overshadows the success of earlier pictures and the achievement of later pictures.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Yes, as I said BROKEBACK was a turning point in mainstream cinema. However, I don't think we should place added emphasis on it because of that. Especially if it comes at the expense of those earlier films. I tend to resent it when people make one film the "savior" film of a culture. First, it's a lot to live up to, and second, it crowds out other noteworthy films. When we elevate one work so highly, we start to neglect other important filmmakers who toil in this vein, drowning out voices that can and should still be heard. BROKEBACK's success becomes counterproductive if it overshadows the success of earlier pictures and the achievement of later pictures.

I see your point obviously there are other films that came before "Brokeback Mountain"

4 minutes ago, jaragon said:

I see your point obviously there are other films that came before "Brokeback Mountain"

And the point is they are not any less valuable because they were 'art films' or had limited release.

20 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

And the point is they are not any less valuable because they were 'art films' or had limited release.

That is not what I meant- of course there are good films that never  get a decent release- and "Ander" is a perfect example- the lovers are not as hot looking as the men in "God's Own Country" so there are no sexy poster images just a shot of the house?! which is strange way to sell this movie- even the trailer was lame - I felt like creating my own trailer.  Of course art films are not less valuable than mainstream movies

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jaragon said:

That is not what I meant- of course there are good films that never  get a decent release- and "Ander" is a perfect example- the lovers are not as hot looking as the men in "God's Own Country" so there are no sexy poster images just a shot of the house?! which is strange way to sell this movie- even the trailer was lame - I felt like creating my own trailer.  Of course art films are not less valuable than mainstream movies

I think it would be interesting to look at films, regardless of how limited or wide their releases may have been, in terms of subgroups within the LGBT culture. Like which films depict interracial gay and lesbian couples, or couples where there are notable age differences, or LGBT couples where one person is disabled. That sort of thing for analysis and discussion.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jaragon said:

Red Dirt (2000) is a gay movie set in rural Mississippi.  Yes -- the stars are indeed attractive, but that's generally the case in all movies, including straight romances. Hollywood likes beautiful characters, because that's what most audience members want. 

[Even movies where the characters are supposed to be homely and scarred, e.g. Dorothy McGuire and Robert Young in The Enchanted Cottage -- they're not.]

Red Dirt trailer/montage

I guess Chuck and Buck (2000) were not so attractive. Particularly Buck. A somewhat touching gay film that made me want to run screaming from the room, parts of it are almost unbearable!

?format=1500w

• Like 3

20 hours ago, jaragon said:

"Chuck and Buck" looks like a horror movie😉

Here is one of the most cringe-worthy scenes. Buck's mother has died, so Buck left his boyhood home to visit Chuck in California. Chuck and Buck used to "fool around" as boys.  The childlike Buck visits Chuck, who now lives with his girlfriend. Later in the evening, Chuck's girlfriend goes to bed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_%26_Buck

https://www.nytimes.com/2000/07/14/movies/film-review-childhood-longings-in-a-grown-up-world.html

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, rayban said:

Some films I refuse to see - "Chuck and Buck" is one of them.

I'm with you on this- have never seen it and never will- there is something about it- story, cast, director that turns me off.

• Haha 1

From Argentina -"Absent" (2011) Sebastian ( Carlos Echevarria) a high school teacher fight his attraction to Martin (Javier De Pietro) one of his students. The movie like Martin is one long tease.  Nothing much happens which is the case with most of the other films made by Marco Berger. You can see it on Amazon Prime- the Italian trailer makes the film look like a thriller- it isn't

On 12/29/2018 at 6:45 PM, TopBilled said:

I think it would be interesting to look at films, regardless of how limited or wide their releases may have been, in terms of subgroups within the LGBT culture. Like which films depict interracial gay and lesbian couples, or couples where there are notable age differences, or LGBT couples where one person is disabled. That sort of thing for analysis and discussion.

The only film I can think of that features a disable gay character is " Como la Espuma" (Foam Party) (2017) written and directed Robert Perez Toledo- who happens to be disable in real life- I follow him on Instagram.  Milo, who has become paralyzed after a car accident- does not want to celebrate his birthday but his friend Gus throws him a surprise birthday party which becomes a anything goes sex party.  The film is very sexy but also deals with friendship and the healing power of love.  I saw it on Starz Encore Español

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jaragon said:

The only film I can think of that features a disable gay character is " Como la Espuma" (Foam Party) (2017) written and directed Robert Perez Toledo- who happens to be disable in real life- I follow him on Instagram.  Milo, who has become paralyzed after a car accident- does not want to celebrate his birthday but his friend Gus throws him a surprise birthday party which becomes a anything goes sex party.  The film is very sexy but also deals with friendship and the healing power of love.  I saw it on Starz Encore Español

Sounds interesting. Wonder why there aren't more stories told from that point of view.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Sounds interesting. Wonder why there aren't more stories told from that point of view.

I don't know - but last year Jake Gyllenhall played a survivor of the Boston Marathon terrorist attack who lost both legs and not too many people went to see it. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, jaragon said:

I don't know - but last year Jake Gyllenhall played a survivor of the Boston Marathon terrorist attack who lost both legs and not too many people went to see it. 

I suppose people are afraid the subject matter might be depressing. But usually these subjects turn into uplifting dramas. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I suppose people are afraid the subject matter might be depressing. But usually these subjects turn into uplifting dramas. 

You are right-

• Like 1

Titan Men's "Campus Pizza" (2005) directed by Joe Gage has a sex scene between an architecture professor and wheel chair bound graduate student.   Gage got the idea after he saw a young man in wheel chair during a gay pride event. 

• Thanks 1