45 posts in this topic

weekly links:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=PST&sdate=2017-10-01

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=PST&sdate=2017-10-08

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=PST&sdate=2017-10-15

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=PST&sdate=2017-10-22

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=PST&sdate=2017-10-29

Anthony Perkins is SOTM

There are a few interesting things here and there, like a couple of silents I haven't seen, but it looks like a lot of the same old horror titles trotted out each year. There's one installment of TCM Underground yet to be scheduled, so maybe that will prove to be something worth seeing.

• Like 2

Lawrence, missed it who is "Star of the Month?"   & they rarely thesedays have a month "GP" "guest Programmer"  is there 1 for 0ctober?

As part of my personal make-up is also loving to gamble-(but strangely not cards & Vegas, Atlantic City style of stuff) but just bet

& BIG-TIME!  Most of all of course the *Oscars, Boxing, Football-(most of course the Super Bowl)

& just for some more fun, a myriad of other jazz,etc   & among them more recently I predicted "NP Guide" was going away & I unfortunately also see our beloved TCM itself going bye, bye with a few years

The sad writing appears to be on the wall :angry: 

ANYONE AGREE?

Lawrence, missed it who is "Star of the Month?"   & they rarely thesedays have a month "GP" "guest Programmer"  is there 1 for 0ctober?

Anthony Perkins is SOTM, Dracula is featured on all Sunday nights, Trailblazing Women and Classic Horror are Spotlights, and Todd Haynes (director of Carol and Far from Heaven) is the Guest Programmer.

Looks like Noir Alley is still at the same time on Sunday mornings (at least for another month).

I do see one difference - The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946) is scheduled for Noir Alley on Oct. 29, in place of No Questions Asked (1951).

(This is from a comparison with the Noir Alley schedule that I copied quite a while ago, so I'm not sure if the Oct. 29 change is recent or not.)

Anthony Perkins is SOTM, Dracula is featured on all Sunday nights, Trailblazing Women and Classic Horror are Spotlights, and Todd Haynes (director of Carol and Far from Heaven) is the Guest Programmer.

ANTHONY PERKINS IS SOTM!!!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!!!! AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

(Sorry. Just a little too excited.)

• Like 3

ANTHONY PERKINS IS SOTM!!!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!!!! AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

(Sorry. Just a little too excited.)

It's about time Tony Perkins gets respect on TCM. (He and Robert Young are currently the only SOTM honorees who have never had SUTS day. I wonder what the reason behind that is.)

Needless to say, I apologize for getting too excited about Tony being SOTM. But I guess I'm not the only one. Tab Hunter probably is, too. ;)

• Like 1

It's nice to see Tony honored as Star of the Month. Long overdue. 

screen-shot-2017-07-30-at-7-47-38-am.png

I don't mind if a lot of the same horror titles get trotted out. If they weren't featured in October, then people would be complaining about that.

Unfortunately the horror films seem to be the ones that show up all of the time.

Oct 18. has the Romy Schneider Sissi trilogy.

Oct 19.  With Byrd at the South Pole (1930) which I personally have't managed to catch before.

Oct 19.  The films are not new to me but Todd Haynes' guest programmer intros might be interesting.

Oct 26.  Strike (1925) Sergei Eisenstein

Mockery (1927) with Lon Chaney

All horror, all the time.  Yuck!

Lydecker

To Lydecker, obviously your a fan of Webb & probably the Hollywood stories that go with him, so I thought I'd throw a couple things at you in case you didn't yet know them, or they will just wet your appetite more on Mr. Webb

I'm certain you heard of the famed paranormal stories that involve the actor    His house is-(or was) still standing in Hollywood/La area 

He was pushy Said his house was already haunted by Grace Moore of whom was killed in an airplane crash. -(she was an *AMPAS nominee for 1934's "0ne Night of Love") Then actor Gene Lockhart claimed his was haunted, along with his wife there. So Webb & his mother purchased it & I then-(may not recall exact order) *Victor Fleming bought & also lived in same house & claimed of hauntings. 

Once they say it was finally raised, the hauntings at "Hollywood Forever Park" started there & even inside "Abbey of the Psalms" mausoleum where both Webb & *Fleming chose to be interred.  At any rate, it's become one of Tinsel-Town's biggest paranormal rumors.   Even the tour guides at that cem. try & scare fans when Clifton's wall niche will not close all the way & a number is all that

They generally have this Webb, *Fleming, Moore thing in almost all literature for HOLLYWOOD

• Like 1

It's nice to see Tony honored as Star of the Month. Long overdue. 

I don't mind if a lot of the same horror titles get trotted out. If they weren't featured in October, then people would be saying it's the end of TCM.

Tony deserves it so much that I didn't realize how bad my grammar was when I found out. Anyway, I'm glad TCM is finally giving him some respect,

I also agree with you about the horror movies. Those horror movies are what TCM plays in October, and if people don't like it, then they don't have to watch. End of story.

• Like 1

Good Stuff:

Le Cercle Rouge   ***1/2

Dynamite   ***

Day of the Outlaw   ***

Blind Adventure   ***

Hotel Reserve (1946)   ***

Cheaper By the Dozen   ***

Madame Satan   ***

With Bird At the South Pole   ***

Performance   ***

Death Rides a Horse   ***

Strike   ***1/2

Pretty Poison   ***

• Like 1

Interesting titles/themes:

10/2--"Dynamite" (1929)--Early C.B. DeMille melodrama;was last reviewed on TCM's film webpage in 2012.

10/4--Buster Keaton day.

10/8--"Jigoku" (1960)--From what I read on imdb, Japanese Grand Guignol.  Hmmm--interesting sounding.  "Tokaido Yotsuya Kaidan" (1959)--Another Japanese horror film I've never seen.

10/14--"Blacula" (1972) & "Scream, Blacula, Scream" (1973).

10/16--"Madame Satan" (1930)--C.B. DeMille musical/romantic comedy/disaster film.

10/18--"Purple Noon" (1961)--French film of a Patricia Highsmith novel; was remade as "The Talented Mr. Ripley" (2001).

10/19--"Performance" (1970)--Film starring Mick Jagger and James Fox.

• Like 1

Perkins as SOTM is great. I noticed several slots on the sked for Mr. Perkins is marked TCM Premiere with no title. I do hope TCM can get their mitts on Fear Strikes Out, The Tin Star, Goodbye, Again Ten Days Wonder, Champagne Murders and especially Play It As It Lays which is near impossible to see anywhere except youtube {and they made not be showing it anymore}  Perkins made so many obscure movies, mostly in the 60's that it could be a real feather in TCM's cap to get at least some of his rarely shown features. Here's hoping!!

• Like 2

Perkins as SOTM is great. I noticed several slots on the sked for Mr. Perkins is marked TCM Premiere with no title. I do hope TCM can get their mitts on Fear Strikes Out, The Tin Star, Goodbye, Again Ten Days Wonder, Champagne Murders and especially Play It As It Lays which is near impossible to see anywhere except youtube {and they made not be showing it anymore}  Perkins made so many obscure movies, mostly in the 60's that it could be a real feather in TCM's cap to get at least some of his rarely shown features. Here's hoping!!

I think those slots will probably be filled by some of his Paramount output. FEAR STRIKES OUT has aired before, and it features TCM fave Karl Malden so that's a likely one. Plus I have a feeling we'll see THE MATCHMAKER since it has Shirley MacLaine and she's another TCM fave. 

GOODBYE AGAIN has aired in the past and also seems like a good bet.

• Like 2

I think those slots will probably be filled by some of his Paramount output. FEAR STRIKES OUT has aired before, and it features TCM fave Karl Malden so that's a likely one. Plus I have a feeling we'll see THE MATCHMAKER since it has Shirley MacLaine and she's another TCM fave. 

GOODBYE AGAIN has aired in the past and also seems like a good bet.

The first night of Perkins' SOTM festival on October 6 has a TBA title running from 12:15AM to 2:45AM EST. That runtime sounds about right for ON THE BEACH, a United Artists release. So you can probably pencil that in.

• Like 2

Another obscure Perkins movie from the 1960s is The Fool Killer. It sounds somewhat like The Night of the Hunter and was filmed on location in the South. That one probably has not been digitized, so TCM could not show it.

Goodbye Again at one time showed up regularly on TCM. Perkins is a great choice for SOTM.

• Like 1

Geez Louise! TCM is airing "Back to the Future" on Monday, October 30th? As part of the Trailblazing Women programming? 

backtothefuture-doc-marty-parkinglot.jpg

Geez Louise! TCM is airing "Back to the Future" on Monday, October 30th? As part of the Trailblazing Women programming? 

backtothefuture-doc-marty-parkinglot.jpg

In honor of producer Kathleen Kennedy.

• Like 1

In honor of producer Kathleen Kennedy.

Ah, for a moment there I thought they belatedly were going to observe the 32nd anniversary of Marty McFly's first trip to the past in the DeLorean.

back_to_the_future.jpg

• Like 2