Stephan55

I'd like to invite you to try our new fan club, the TCM...

4 posts in this topic

I'd like to invite you to try our new fan club, the TCM...
Backlot. Try it risk-free today for 30 days and receive a FREE t-shirt!

Try TCM Backlot & Claim My T-Shirt Today!
-- Ben Mankiwwicz at Turner Classic Movies X

Since the morning of July 29, 2017, this little pop-up with a smiling Ben Mankiewicz began appearing whenever I open TCM ON-DEMAND.

At first, I was amused, and even smiled a little when I saw Ben's cheerful countenance.
Normally I don't click on any pop-up, but if my curser came anywhere near the little sprite it enlarged itself and occluded some of the viewing screen blocking part of what I am trying to look at.
So I clicked on the little X next to Ben's name and the pop-up promptly disappeared.... momentarily.
However, whenever any activity is performed on the screen to look at a title, view a trailer, or watch a movie, etc. Ben pops up again with the same little invite, and the same annoying enlargement!

Now instead of being "invited" to "join" the TCM Backlot, which I've already declined from numerous TCM emails, as well as TCM's persistent campaign pushing it's membership whenever I watch TCM on TV, I am now feeling pestered, to the point of harassment, whenever I desire to catch a program from TCM ON-DEMAND.

These tactics from TCM serve the exact opposite purpose from that intended, instead of further endearing TCM to the devoted viewer, they begin to alienate them!
For those of us who are not interested in "joining" the TCM Backlot "paid" membership gang, these hardball tactics push us away from TCM, not closer to it!
And we are a substantial bunch of viewers who already support TCM with revenue from our paid TV subscriptions to receive the channel in the first place.
For whatever our reasons, we do not wish to join TCM's paid membership Backlot "club."

I for one, quickly tire and become annoyed with any company that thinks that by hounding me they will gain either my patronage or endorsement.

This Pavlovian exercise needs to cease immediately (at least with an "opt-out" button).

If TCM marketing thinks that by using Ben's cheerful smiling face in such an annoying fashion, that they can induce me into their "paid" TCM Backlot member roster (even with a temporary "trial" membership), to boost their market-share numbers for further corporate gain and  profit, then they are dead wrong!
Instead of salivating at the chance to join the "Backlot" I now feel my s p h i n c t e r tightening each time I see an image of Ben pop-up!

Anyone else feeling frustrated by this latest TCM ON-DEMAND insult, using Ben's visage in such an avaricious manner, feel free to comment here!

Likewise, if anyone is NOT annoyed by this and feels flattered by TCM's incessant Backlot membership campaign, have a sip of wine and post here!

post-22963-0-46225100-1502035982_thumb.jpg

post-22963-0-80207300-1502035999_thumb.jpg

post-22963-0-46225100-1502035982_thumb.jpg

post-22963-0-80207300-1502035999_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Sounds like a broken or unfinished feature.  I don't know because I haven't been there yet.  You have third party cookies blocked on your browser?  /sarc

Instead of salivating at the chance to join the "Backlot" I now feel my s p h i n c t e r tightening each time I see an image of Ben pop-up!

Now that can't be a good thing.

• Like 1

Sounds like a broken or unfinished feature.  I don't know because I haven't been there yet.  You have third party cookies blocked on your browser?  /sarc

Now that can't be a good thing.

Hah, I think you can assume that I always do.

I think that this is a TCM sanctioned deal, as when we access and use the site, we are inadvertently giving TCM "permission" to collect our data as well as inject their own pop-up "advertisements" as they please.

The annoying thing about this is its persistence, with no way to turn it off, or shut it down, at least for the duration of an entire TCM viewing session.

It's getting to the point where I almost don't want to use TCM ON-DEMAND because of it.

I consider that counterproductive. So in that case it is certainly a "broken" feature.