Sign in to follow this  
Brando4ever

"The Philadelphia Story" and ""Some Like it Hot"

23 posts in this topic

I never cared for either on of them, although I know they are extremely popular. I prefer High Society to The Philadelhpia Story, partly because I just perfer it as a musical, and mostly because I'll take Grace Kelly (who was the real thing), over Katharine Hepburn, who I've never liked.

Some Like It Hot, for me, was a one joke film, and it grows tiring after a while.

My favorite comedies are It's A Gift and The Producers (1968).

I love "High Society", too!!!!! I think it's a great companion to "Philadelphia Story" and also good as it's own film. I think Bing, Frank and Grace worked great together!! I love the songs especially when Bing and Frank sang "Did ya Evah?" together!!

I 100% agree!!! The casting is flawless!!!!

"The Philadelphia Story" - Cary Grant, James Stewart and Katherine Hepburn together - GOLD!

"Some Like it Hot" - Jack Lemmon, Tony Curtis, Marilyn Monroe, George Raft and Pat O'Brien - GOLD!

OMG, "Some Like It Hot" is one of my all-time favorite movies. I never get tired of it, and it is absolutely hysterical. I had a unique experience this Christmas. My husband and I went to San Diego and actually stayed at the Hotel Del Coronado, where that movie was filmed. It was very cool! Pretty expensive place to stay but well worth it! Plus they had a whole section in their gift store of Marilyn Monroe stuff and they had a continuous showing of "Some Like It Hot" in the room and in the gift shop. It was really cool to be able to watch the movie in the same place it was filmed!

Andrea

It doesn't get better than these two in any way. The casting is flawless. I must also I add that the reamake of the Philadelphia Story retitled of course High Society just didn't do it for me.

My favorite part of the movie is probably James Stewart's drunk scene.

"C. K. Dexter Haven! C.K. Dexter Haaaa-ven!" rofl every time.

And both movies have excellent dialogue, which is one of the things I look for in a movie and sadly, one of the things that is lacking in modern movies.

Katherine Hepburn wasn't the real thing?

You'd be surprised by how many people don't like her. I think she may be something of an acquired taste. I like Hepburn, but some of her movies, especially from those middle years at RKO and MGM, can be kind of hard to watch (Break of Hearts, The Little Minister, Spitfire, Song of Love, Sea of Grass etc)

I love both of these movies because, as someone already said, they are insanely well written and the castin is perfect. I agree with it all. I also agree that the movie High Society doesn't cut it. Why? It's such a good idea--the cast was perfect--but it missed the amazing writing and directing that the first one had. In my opinion. Best part of Phil Story is the drunk scene. "Women tend to romanticise" "yes they do, don't they?" "yes they do, don't they?" Some Like it Hot's best scene, to me, is "I'm engaged" "who's the lucky girl?" "I am!" with the maracas and Jack's silly dancing. man, so awesome on so many levels.

The philadelphia story is the greatest movie of all time, the acting is amazing and I wasnt a huge fan of Katherine Hepburn but, after this film Ive learned to LOVE her, I watched it for Cary Grant because i simply think he is the best and so so so funny!! But, I was amazed, Ive watched this movie at least once a week for the last few years! Its the best, the best ever!

"Some Like It Hot" is sheer perfection, hilarious from beginning to end!

But with "Philadelhia Story" my feelings are mixed, because the script is so damn sexist I can't enjoy some part of it. Such wit, such brilliance, such charisma... but to enjoy thise I have to put up with all those speeches about how a wife ought to be "yar", and never criticize a husband even if he's an alcoholic who's totally wasting his potential.

And then there's the father's speech about how he blames his daughter for the fact that he cheated on his wife... how can even the most avowed sexist watch that without a headdesk?

> {quote:title=Tampopo wrote:}{quote}

> "Some Like It Hot" is sheer perfection, hilarious from beginning to end!

>

> But with "Philadelhia Story" my feelings are mixed, because the script is so damn sexist I can't enjoy some part of it. Such wit, such brilliance, such charisma... but to enjoy thise I have to put up with all those speeches about how a wife ought to be "yar", and never criticize a husband even if he's an alcoholic who's totally wasting his potential.

>

> And then there's the father's speech about how he blames his daughter for the fact that he cheated on his wife... how can even the most avowed sexist watch that without a headdesk?

I love both these movies, but I admit i squirm a bit during parts of Philadelphia Story, though the first half of the movie is near perfect. I read a book once about Hepburn called _Hepburn: Star as Feminist_, which as the title suggests, looks at Hepburn's filmography, especially in the 30's in a feminist context. He contends that one reason she was labeled box office poison in the mid-late 30's was because many of her films had too strong a feminist vibe and that her comeback was based on films in which she is allowed to be her strong feminist self during the first half, but then a strong male type (Spencer Tracy was perfect for this role) has to slap her down and make her behave in the second. Or she had to play a doting wife and mother. And while I don't agree with his assessment of her mid-30's films (The Little Minister, Mary of Scotland, A Woman Rebels etc were just plain bad films, and I don't think anyone could have saved them) he does have a point about many of her films between 1940 and parts of 50's. The Philadelphia Story, Woman of the Year, and even the beloved Adam's Rib are all in this vein. And as for the doting wife and mother, look at Song of Love, State of the Union, Sea of Grass later in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner...and the ultimate creepy doting mother in Suddenly Last Summer.

Now there are a lot of films in there that don't fit, but the best known ones, the ones that actually made money, well they do seem to. Who knows what the reason was, but people stayed away from Bringing Up Baby, Stage Door and Holiday, all of which are among Hepburn's best 1930's work, imho.

Philadelphia Story and Holiday are very good if a bit sentimental but my favorite is Bringing Up Baby. It really defines the screwball comedy IMO. Gag after gag is well done and fast paced. :lol:

On 3/17/2009 at 2:48 AM, sarah511 said:

Katherine Hepburn wasn't the real thing?

I definitely think she was a great actress and the "real thing." :P:lol:

20 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Philadelphia Story and Holiday are very good if a bit sentimental but my favorite is Bringing Up Baby. It really defines the screwball comedy IMO. Gag after gag is well done and fast paced. :lol:

I definitely think she was a great actress and the "real thing." :P:lol:

Around 10 or so years ago I would have said Bringing Up Baby was my favorite of the Grant \ Hepburn movies but now it is 3rd behind Holiday and The Philadelphia Story.      

Yea, the gags are great and there are many funny moments but on repeat viewing the Hepburn character is just too annoying (from this male's perspective).   E.g. the early scene where she is trying to move his car and damages it.   Yea, I know this is a joke but with repeat viewing instead of laughing I just feel like the Grant character in the film: I want to get as far away from this type of women as possible.    Now,  many films feature that type of male \ female interaction (sometimes with the male being the trouble making one),  but the annoying one 'wises up' around the halfway \ 3\4 mark.   With Baby the Hepburn character never really "reforms".    I.e. I'm left with the impression that she will continue to be this way even once they are married!   What man would want that.  

Note that in Little Shop Around the Corner the women also is a pain-in-the-rear but that tension is eased up,  just in time to make me fall for her,  just like the Jimmy character did.     

As for Hepburn as an actor:  I'm a big fan.   She appears to be the most debated major star around this forum;  i.e.  most either love or hate her, with few in between.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Now,  many films feature that type of male \ female interaction (sometimes with the male being the trouble making one),  but the annoying one 'wises up' around the halfway \ 3\4 mark.   With Baby the Hepburn character never really "reforms".    I.e. I'm left with the impression that she will continue to be this way even once they are married!   What man would want that.  

I think the moral of the story was that Grant's character was too stodgy and uptight and that Hepburn's fun and less rigid personality was supposed to be the good way to live life. I think the director was trying to reform Grant's character (David) if anything. He's clearly unhappy with the rigid fellow scientist who doesn't want children, at the museum and Hepburn's character is the solution to that. I can see how her "antics" can come off as annoying to some but I think that's part of what makes Cary Grant's character fall for her.

1 minute ago, Gershwin fan said:

I think the moral of the story was that Grant's character was too stodgy and uptight and that Hepburn's fun and less rigid personality was supposed to be the good way to live life. I think the director was trying to reform Grant's character (David) if anything. He's clearly unhappy with the rigid fellow scientist who doesn't want children, at the museum and Hepburn's character is the solution to that. I can see how her "antics" can come off as annoying to some but I think that's part of what makes Cary Grant's character fall for her.

I get that and if the only choices were that rigid fellow scientist or the Hepburn character even I would pick the Hepburn character.     Also I know that this is 'only a movie',   and no one in real life could be as zany as that character 24 \ 7.  

I just wonder if the film would have been more enjoyable if the tension created by the Hepburn character would have eased up before 'The End'   (but then it wouldn't be screwball,  right!).