NoraCharles81

What happened to flexibility?

16 posts in this topic

The last few days of this course have seemed just thrown together. Friday's lecture notes were posted very late. The week 5 quiz wasn't posted until the middle of the day on Saturday. Now today's lecture notes will not be posted until late afternoon. I honestly have thoroughly enjoyed this course, but it's been harder for me not to get the day's work done when I have time, before the day gets busy for me. Flexibility has been mentioned several times during this course but it's not happening. I can't imagine going to an actual class and the notes or quizes not being ready...

• Like 1

I could not agree ore. Fortunately for me, I am retired, but I plan my day to start with the course, then move on to the other things in my life.

• Like 1

The last few days of this course have seemed just thrown together. Friday's lecture notes were posted very late. The week 5 quiz wasn't posted until the middle of the day on Saturday. Now today's lecture notes will not be posted until late afternoon. I honestly have thoroughly enjoyed this course, but it's been harder for me not to get the day's work done when I have time, before the day gets busy for me. Flexibility has been mentioned several times during this course but it's not happening. I can't imagine going to an actual class and the notes or quizes not being ready...

I understand, and I apologize in advance. I know that last minute changes and last postings can affect everyone's schedules, and I do everything in my power to make sure everything gets posted in a timely manner. I also do my best to properly communicate any changes that are coming via messages in Canvas. 

Once something posts, including the lecture notes and the quizzes, they remain open and available until the last day of the course. So there should be ample time to complete any of the material that posts late. 

Thanks for understanding!

Best, Prof. Edwards

• Like 1

OK, I am a teacher at a Community College in Alabama and teach online courses.  You who are complaining should be ashamed.  First, this class is free.  Second, Dr. Edwards has at least 300, my mistake, 16,000, students in this class.  He also has to prepare for the fall term and may also be teaching summer classes for credit at Ball State.

People get a grip!  You didn't pay for the class and you're not getting any college credit for it, so stop complaining and treating Dr. Edwards with disrespect!  Do you think you are the only person in the world or that Dr. Edward's has his own life?  He did this course out of the goodness of his heart and to give us a learning experience, so while you are learning about Hitchcock, you might want to learn so patience and understanding!

• Like 4

Just saw this topic, but thought I'd throw in my two cents.  This is the first online course I've taken, and, I think it's incredible.  I appreciate the detailed notes/lectures and the vast amount of research that has gone into this subject.  I'm retired (probably like 99% of the people who watch TCM), yet, my days are fairly full, so I haven't been able to stay abreast of things.  Plus, I totally missed the first week when I forgot I had registered for this class. :rolleyes: That said, I've been able to follow along at a pace that works for me.  Thank you for that flexibility.  

• Like 5

OK, I am a teacher at a Community College in Alabama and teach online courses.  You who are complaining should be ashamed.  First, this class is free.  Second, Dr. Edwards has at least 300 students in this class.  He also has to prepare for the fall term and may also be teaching summer classes for credit at Ball State.

People get a grip!  You didn't pay for the class and you're not getting any college credit for it, so stop complaining and treating Dr. Edwards with disrespect!  Do you think you are the only person in the world or that Dr. Edward's has his own life?  He did this course out of the goodness of his heart and give us a learning experience, so why you are learning about Hitchcock, you might want to learn so patience and understanding!

I'm with you here.

It appears people forget you get what you pay for!   ;)

But really,  Dr. Edwards is great and I really loved the Noir one he did with TCM last time as well as this Hitchcock course.

• Like 3

Thank you Prof. Edwards!

I myself do not always have things in my life all together "on time" so I am not upset at all if things are not right on the dot! I just go with the flow. As you have said, we have until Aug. 7, so it is very flexible.

Bravo to you and Wes!

The best thing which happened to me is that taking an online course offered by TCM and Ball State University. Most of all, it's free! After completing the course, you will get a Certificate of Appreciation. What more could we ask for ? Above all, Dr. Rich Edwards is the most understanding person and he does everything as quick as he can. Just because the course materials are not uploaded doesn't mean that this course is slow. Mr. Edwards has to guide this course for lots and lots of students around everywhere. I wish everyone could understand that taking this course need patience and appreciation to the subject as well as to our favorite instructor.

• Like 2

I'm with you here.

It appears people forget you get what you pay for!   ;)

But really,  Dr. Edwards is great and I really loved the Noir one he did with TCM last time as well as this Hitchcock course.

We got more than we paid for; this was an outstanding experience.  I learned so much about Hitchcock I didn't know.  I had no idea about all the silent films he did, or how he was influenced by German expressionism!  I use film as a teaching tool and this class has helped learn how to use it more effectively.  

• Like 2

I teach at the college level, also (but, not in a film-related subject).  I can't say how impressed I have been with this course.  The level of preparation here is incredible!  There has been a tremendous amount of material presented and it has been in great form!  I am incredibly picky (could say obsessed) with things being presented correctly and in good form.  I realize Dr. Edwards had students helping him with some of this material, but I'm sure the majority of the material came from him, plus he also had to oversee the students' work.  This had to take a tremendous amount of time and effort on Dr. Edwards part.  And I can't imagine having over 16,500 students -- that boggles the mind!!  

I think the course has been structured to allow a great deal of flexibility.  The only complaint on that score that I have is with the programming from TCM.  It has been difficult to try and watch so many movies in such a short period of time and, also, get through the course material.  Part of the problem is my own fault because I started just before the deadline to enter, so I have been trying to play catch-up all along.  But, it would have been easier to have the course spread out a little longer (maybe over two months) so the films didn't run from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. two nights a week.  I'm a night-owl, but I can't handle all-nighters like I could in college!  And/or, TCM could have put all of the Hitchcock films on the On Demand channel, so we could watch them later in the week. Some of us don't have working DVRs.

I think we owe Dr. Edwards and his student assistants a huge "Thank You!"  As others have mentioned, we got all of this for FREE!  Again, that is unbelievable.  Dr. Edwards has structured this course to give us a lot of flexibility, so I think we should return the favor and give him a little flexibility in return!

• Like 5

Having a full time job and a commute made it difficult to do the class and see the films scheduled on TCM.   What made me think I could do both?  But I made a conscious decision to do the class.    TCM will always be showing Hitchcock films.   I also have a few in the DVD collection.  A free class on The Master of Suspense is a one-time event.  I have another 35 years to catch up on Hitchcock films I had never seen before, re-watch my favorites, and add to my home collection.   So happy I took this class!  Personally fulfilling to say the least and I learned so much!

Best,

Craig

The only online course I've ever taken, and probably will be the only one.  (At least until they start talking about BOND.)

I enjoyed it immensely!  But I missed out on a lot in the lecture videos because I am deaf and there were no closed captions.  Yes, I know the text was available elsewhere, but CC is a better experience. 

• Like 1

I teach at the college level, also (but, not in a film-related subject).  I can't say how impressed I have been with this course.  The level of preparation here is incredible!  There has been a tremendous amount of material presented and it has been in great form!  I am incredibly picky (could say obsessed) with things being presented correctly and in good form.  I realize Dr. Edwards had students helping him with some of this material, but I'm sure the majority of the material came from him, plus he also had to oversee the students' work.  This had to take a tremendous amount of time and effort on Dr. Edwards part.  And I can't imagine having over 16,500 students -- that boggles the mind!!  

I think the course has been structured to allow a great deal of flexibility.  The only complaint on that score that I have is with the programming from TCM.  It has been difficult to try and watch so many movies in such a short period of time and, also, get through the course material.  Part of the problem is my own fault because I started just before the deadline to enter, so I have been trying to play catch-up all along.  But, it would have been easier to have the course spread out a little longer (maybe over two months) so the films didn't run from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. two nights a week.  I'm a night-owl, but I can't handle all-nighters like I could in college!  And/or, TCM could have put all of the Hitchcock films on the On Demand channel, so we could watch them later in the week. Some of us don't have working DVRs.

I think we owe Dr. Edwards and his student assistants a huge "Thank You!"  As others have mentioned, we got all of this for FREE!  Again, that is unbelievable.  Dr. Edwards has structured this course to give us a lot of flexibility, so I think we should return the favor and give him a little flexibility in return!

I was going to add my thoughts on this but you've pretty much touched on all the points I was going to make.

Considering the amount of material to be covered and all the juggling that I'm sure the Prof had to do, kudos on a brilliantly executed course. A few lecture notes were posted a bit late and I think everyone took it in stride.