Auburnrebecca

Thank You Dr. Edwards and Dr. Gehring!

28 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Just wanted to say thank you so much to Prof. Edwards and Wes Gehrig. This was my first TCM class and I loved it. The pacing, the activities, the work- all perfect!
I really enjoyed learning about Hitchcock. I've learned so much. I view his films so much differently now.
Thank you for all your hard work.
Rebecca

Edited by TCMModerator1
Merged all of the 'Thank you' threads and Updated the title.
  • Like 8

Just wanted to say thank you so much to Prof. Edwards and Wes Gehrig. This was my first TCM class and I loved it. The pacing, the activities, the work- all perfect!

I really enjoyed learning about Hitchcock. I've learned so much. I view his films so much differently now.

Thank you for all your hard work.

Rebecca

I also enjoyed the Hitchcock class. It is my third with Professor Edwards, and I am already hoping for a fourth.

Thanks to Dr. Edwards, Dr. Gehring, the Ball State production team, and to everyone else on these discussion threads who contributed so many great ideas, and who just may love movies more than me! Who knew?! :D

• Like 9

I really don't want this course to end (it could easily be a full semester in length). This is my first online course and I look forward to more in the future. Many thanks to Dr. Edwards, Dr. Gehring, Alexandre Phillippe and all at TCM, especially Ben Mankiewicz for his great discussions with Mr. Phillippe. Bravo!

• Like 8

I too, have enjoyed this on-line class immensely. I've been a Hitchcock fan for as long as I can remember, from the early days of watching films with my folks on TV (my mom especially liked Hitch) to the many times I've re-watched his movies to relive those golden days and recapture his brilliance. It is my first class with TCM & Ball State and I hope I can continue with others. I am sorry I missed the earlier classes on Slap-stick and Film Noir, I regret not having participated sooner.

Thank you Professors Edwards & Gehrig for such an enjoyable and informative experience, I especially liked your one-on-one lecture discussions, they really brought out some fascinating points of consideration and discussion.

I also wish to pass along my thank-yous to Ben Mankowitz and Alexander Phillippe for their informative commentaries before and after each Hitchcock film they hosted.  I'm proud to say I viewed all 44 films presented and learned many new things. 

Well Done Everyone!!

• Like 6

I would also like to express my thanks for my first TCM class.  To Dr. Edwards and Dr. Gehring please accept my thanks and appreciation for activating a lazy mind.  I never really bothered about who did what in making films.  The only name I looked for was Ern Westmore who did the cosmetics in some films.  He once had a TV program.  Funny too, I saw his name a couple of nights ago and can't remember the movie.  Dumb right!  But, I've learned more than I expected and enjoyed the course more than I expected.  Thank you very much.  I look forward to our next course together.  I hope it is as knowledgeable as Hitchcock.  Thank you for the time and work you both spent to make the course something I had to work at, as well.  It was hard at times but fun all the time.  Again, Thank you.

April

• Like 3

A heart felt thank you to everyone that made this course possible, especially professors Edwards and Gehrig, the TCM crew, all of the students who helped out and made the games, and anyone I forgot.

I would have gladly paid two or even three times what you charged for this course. The course was that good.

• Like 3

Being a fan of classic movies I've seen a lot of genres and have my favorites that I can watch over and over again..and Hitchcock was one of them. And I wonder how could someone direct these films of suspense? What's going on in his mind (his he out there like Stephen King)? Hitch's movies were just a great way to lose yourself and be entertained.

Then the ultimate thing happened..TCM announced that they were working with Professor Edwards & Ball State and coming up with a course! Cue heavenly music... FINALLY!!!!!!!!! ALL HITCH, ALL THE TIME!  I felt like a kid waiting for Christmas...counting down the months and weeks til the class would start. I must admit that I was a little apprehensive to do it because this will be my first class without my Uncle, who had been there for the other ones. I couldn't wait to tell him when a class would start and how I did on my test and what films were being shown. He was a big part of my life and now he's not here (it was hard to get through the Slapstick course because he had died the week before finals). But knowing him he would want me to go on and do this, especially knowing how I LOVE HITCH.

So I got my materials for the class and waited. Day one started and I was flashing back to the first day of school where I was so excited and couldn't wait for class to start. Reading what we had to do and what movies we should watch got me ready to dive in the class. LET'S GET STARTED!!!

I have to say it was quite surprising to learn some things about Hitch and his films that I never knew about (that he went to Germany and made films there). I knew that he did silent films (I had some DVDs) but knew nothing of his early sound films (The Lady Vanishes favorite). And I became a fan of his earlier films. Seeing those films now you see how Hitch was trying to feel out on how to make his films they way he wanted in such limited surroundings and funds). When we got to Selznick and his beginnings in Hollywood...WOW. To see a director like Hitch be able to work with the Hollywood system...kudos to Hitch for keeping his stand in how he made his films and who he wanted to work with. 

Now onto the films they made me LOVE Hitch..this is what I was waiting for! Hitch's Golden Period and Peak Years are his best film periods. Rear Window, Catch a Thief, North By Northwest, Shadow of a Doubt, The Birds, Psycho...what classics!!!! To make these classics and have to deal with the Hollywood system, Production Code, egos of stars, budgets, Writers, Producers...Go Hitch ;)

I now can never look at Hitch's films the same way again. That's not a bad thing, its a good thing. I see how he did take an older film and retwisted it into a more modern film that has become what we know is classic Hitchcock. I have a better perspective of Hitch's films and I'm a better fan of Hitch's now because I can now appreciate what he did with his films. As a kid watching them I really didn't get them, I just thought they were cool and I loved the freak out parts of them. But now having seen them before and after this course I have a whole new outlook on Hitch and I truly appreciate him and his films and the people he worked with (put your hands together for Alma Reville, a woman who didn't lose herself in her man and stood by him and worked with him to create these classic films).

And now I owe one person a huge THANK YOU for making a newer and better fan of Hitchcock...PROFESSOR RICHARD EDWARDS!!!!!!!!! Thanks Professor for coming up with this course (along with Ball State & everyone there who was involved)! I think you made us all better fans of Hitch and more educated on his films and films in general. You can watch films all day and night and think you know what you are watching but to take a course in whatever genre you like does give you an insight that makes you more appreciative of the film and the process of film making. I can't praise you or your staff enough for sacrificing your time and energy into making this and hopefully future course happened..YOU THE MAN PROFESSOR E!!!!!! B):)

• Like 9

I don't know if there is much to add to what DC SURFERGIRL has already said, but I will try.  I was also very excited when I heard about a course dedicated solely to the works of the master, Alfred Hitchcock.  Perhaps like many others, I was mostly familiar with Psycho, Vertigo, Rear Window, and even Frenzy and Family Plot.  However, I gained so much more knowledge and so many more incredible insights into Hitchcock's work while taking this course, especially his earlier periods and the strong Germanic influences, which are very noticeable in films such as The Ring (if you compare it to The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari). And kudos to the way that Dr. Edwards chose to structure the course.  Even after teaching at the high school level for 32 years, I can still learn a new trick or two that I can use in my classes, especially the next time I show the film Psycho to my Horror Fiction classes.  I loved the daily balance of the lecture notes; the one-on-one discussions with Drs. Edwards and Gehring, which I found to be very entertaining and insightful; and the daily dose with the corresponding written responses.  From this daily structure, I have some new ideas about how to differentiate my own class lessons. I love to view films critically and analyze technique, much to my students' dismay because I force them to do the same.  But I appreciated the chance to look at a different clip each day, reflect on it, and then share my thoughts with everyone else who took this course.  As a side note, I would like to extend a very heart-felt "thank you" to all of you who took the time to read my thoughts and to show how much you appreciated them by "liking" them.  I know I tend to get long winded with my writing, so I thank everyone who had the patience to read my thoughts.  It is rewarding to me to know that other people value my ideas.  Thank you to everyone for such an enjoyable experience: the people I met and became Twitter friends with along the way, Drs. Edwards and Gehring, and finally Alexandre Philippe, whom I had a chance to speak with directly during the Shindig.  It was an amazing experience.

• Like 4

I also wish to thank Professor Edwards and TCM.  I have always loved classic films for multiple reasons but I have never looked at them as I do now.  What has started for me by your opening the door to the 50 years of Hitchcock films, I will carry into others e.g. really looking at the opening scenes, listening to the crescendos in the soundtrack, watching the camera shots, wondering what importance a prop is going to have later in the plot, watching for the MacGuffin - if there is one.  As you stated, knowing Hitchcock made films from the 20's through the 70's is astounding.  I wonder what he would have thought about today's computer generated blockbusters. 

Aldditionally, thank you to all who posted. It was a privilege to read other's points of view.  Professor Edwards, I hope you will continue to work with TCM and let them know how well received this course was. I would love to have twice a year courses on the classic films. You have only scratched the surface of what you can teach us.  Thank you again.    

• Like 6

I am so grateful to Professor Edwards and the whole team that made this course possible. It must have been a Herculean effort, but, believe me, it is appreciated!! I will miss the course, but, in some ways it is only the beginning. I will be following up on the reading suggestions and returning to the films with the ability to see much more than I did before. I also want to say thanks to my fellow students whose enthusiasm and insight was inspiring. It is great to find a whole world of people who care about the art of cinema and of Hitchcock in particular. See you at the movies!

• Like 5

My thanks to Prof. Edwards, Dr. Gehring, Class ID 495 and everyone at Ball State who did so much to make this course so interesting and enjoyable.  It has greatly increased my knowledge and appreciation of Hitchcock's work.... and I've loved watching the movies.      

It's my first time taking a course through TCM and Ball State, but I'll look forward to returning if other classic movie courses are offered in the future.

Regards,

David Mawhinney 

• Like 4

I'd like to add my thanks to you, Prof. Edwards, and your team for a really enjoyable and informative course.  I look forward to watching the rest of the films on my DVR with a more informed view.  I've also loved reading other students' insights and comments both on this message board and on the Hitchcock Bulletin Board.  

I've told many of my friends about the class and look forward to the next one.  So happy to have found you all.

Cameos

• Like 3

This course,  The Master of Suspense: 50 years of Hitchcock, was my summer vacation. I loved learning, sharing, viewing and going to different places these films took me . Thank you for a most enjoyable adventure. A big thanks to Professor Richard Edwards ( you haven't aged at all) Wes Gehring,(you are very knowledgeable and serious about your passion)Ball State University and TCM. As all great directors have collaborators, I thank your team for making it all happen with professionalism and fun. I will miss reading TCM message board and everyone's comments, it was very enlightening. I took the Film Noir class two years ago and became addicted to those films. I never thought that experience could have ever been equalled, but it has. I am so grateful that you love the movies as much as I do. Thank you.

• Like 4

What a great summer of all things Hitchcock!  This course has been incredibly insightful and really gave me a new appreciation for the true master behind the scenes.  I wasn't familiar with his silent and/or very early days at all, so it was very enlightening to see clips of films like "The Pleasure Garden," "The Lodger," and "Blackmail," etc.  I never even knew they existed until this course!  I had stumbled on "Family Plot" in the wee hours of the morning on TCM last summer and loved it.  Missed the credits and had no idea it was Hitchcock, so that was one of the many, many things I've learned.  My sincerest thanks to Professor Edwards and Professor Gehring for the time they put into making this such a great experience for 16,000+ students.  What an amazing feat!  I'll truly miss logging on every day to do my Hitchcock homework!        

• Like 5

Many thanks to Dr. Edwards and all the many others for all their hard work!!!  

I have enjoyed the course (signed up immediately when I saw it was being offered)  I will miss it starting next week!

• Like 3

I, too, want to add my appreciation to everyone involved in creating this fabulous Hitchcock experience. I came into this class as a big Hitch fan, and my passion for his film-making artistry has only deepened. Huge thanks to Professor Edwards and Gehrig for those wonderful daily conversations, to Ben and Alexandre for their illuminating pre- and post-viewing chats, and to TCM for a Hitch-lover's programming dream come true. Thank you all for an amazing online class about my all-time favorite director!

• Like 3

I wish to echo my fellow classmates! Thanks to Dr. Edwards, Dr. Gehrig, Ball State, Canvas, TCM, Ben Mankiwicz (probably butchered that spelling), Alexandre Phillipe, and the behind the scene folks who made these last 6 weeks a truly joyful learning experience.

I am 61 now and I have been a movie fan since I was about 8. I remeber watching movies on Saturday afternoon...mostly horror movies...and being enthralled. My first recollection was House on Haunted Hill with Vincent Price...????.

The advent of TCM served to raise my movie interest up a few notches...and I peruse the TCM schedule daily...and have for years.

Let me say these last 6 weeks have served to send my interest and affection in movies in general and Hitchcock in particular to even knew heights.i am sad to see it end..but I now have new resources to study and new films to watch over and over.

I look forward to the next course...and regret missing the one on Film Noir.

Best wishes and God's blessings to my fellow classmates....and again to all who were involved in providing this learning experience.

Jim Rutland

Birmingham AL

• Like 2

Yes thank you for a brilliant summer. Now I feel lost without reading and looking at videos and doing quizzes! Until next topic!

• Like 1

I've been singing the praises of this class to my colleagues at State College of Florida.  I absolutely love the clever lecture delivery format of a conversation that is notes-based yet allowed to move organically.  The Canvas organization was superb and easy to follow, the material was  perfect for all levels to find something interesting and new, and the student contributions were thoughtful and diverse. 

Thank  you to TCM and Professors Edwards and Gehrig, to our guest Alexandre Philippe and to my classmates who made such excellent presentations. I'm looking forward to seeing the remaining fan panels on Monday. 

• Like 2

I had a marvelous time listening to both of you discuss Hitchcock and his films. I learned so much about how to enjoy movies even more. I find that film is so much a part of my life, that I consider the actors and the stories part of my personal memories. I can go anywhere and do anything through film, and you two have opened new doors of understanding for me. These films are my old and trusted friends, and as I listened to your first fan panel, I was so excited to see new observations about these films that had escaped my notice. Film is another dimension in which we can live out many different lives and experience feelings otherwise alien to us, and your lectures, the message boards, and the fan panels have greatly enhanced my relationship to the screen. Kudos to you both and to all those who have participated in this Hitchcock adventure. I eagerly await a new topic so that I can spend more pleasant and informative hours with you all. Thank you so much and God bless you in all you do.

• Like 1

I've been singing the praises of this class to my colleagues at State College of Florida.  I absolutely love the clever lecture delivery format of a conversation that is notes-based yet allowed to move organically.  The Canvas organization was superb and easy to follow, the material was  perfect for all levels to find something interesting and new, and the student contributions were thoughtful and diverse. 

Thank  you to TCM and Professors Edwards and Gehrig, to our guest Alexandre Philippe and to my classmates who made such excellent presentations. I'm looking forward to seeing the remaining fan panels on Monday. 

Thanks for the kind words about the course design - I definitely am always interested in talking with my colleagues at other universities, so email me through my Canvas inbox, if you wanted to have a quick conversation. 

Best,  Dr. Rich Edwards

• Like 1

I really agree with my classmate who said that they wish that the course could never end!  I've learned SO much, not only about Mr. Hitchcock (I'm re-watching some of these films as I can get ahold of them), but about the technical parts of movie making as well.  I'm looking forward to more course with TCM, Dr. Edwards, Dr. Gehring, and Ball State!  Please keep me posted about new projects!

• Like 1

I agree about the lecture delivery and also the conversation videos. One of the things I've enjoyed in these three Canvas courses I've taken with Dr. Edwards is how cleverly he has adjusted the delivery according to the topic. It shows a very deliberate and meticulous approach to the course. For example, "mysterious" conversations from dark rooms for #NoirSummer, "loud", sports-like commentary for #SlapstickFall, and finally, a more serious, biopic/documentary like for #Hitchcock50.

As a teacher/professor myself, I can attest to how tough it is not to fall in a routine when offering courses at a regular basis. So this has been a really interesting approach for each course, and I commend Dr. Edwards for the effort he has put in it. Plus this variety spices things up for those of us that have taken them all.

I received my certificate of completion earlier today, just as promised!

Thank you once again, Dr. Edwards, for the course, for the contributions of your entire team, and to a great group of Hitchcock fans. It was so much fun.

• Like 1