Dr. Rich Edwards

8/1/17 Lecture Note Discussion: Remakes, Homages, and Films Inspired by Hitchcock

193 posts in this topic

Looking back through these posts (which are GREAT) I'm glad to see a couple of references to the other grand man of 20th century cinema -- Orson Welles.  In addition to Touch of Evil and The Lady from Shanghai, I would like to add a film in which Welles appeared, The Third Man.  To me, the film has certain aspects of North by Northwest and certainly a film noir feel.  Perhaps even add Citizen Kane to the list, coming out a year after Rebecca and featuring one of the first Bernard Herrmann scores.

I have often wondered how much Hitchcock and Welles may have influenced each other as they 'grew up' in Hollywood at about the same time -- Hitch being able to navigate the landscape of the studio system much better than Welles.  Does anyone know of anything that has been written or analyzed about this?

I would also add Welles' The Stranger with Edward G. Robinson, 1946.  There is a touch of Shadow of a Doubt in it- the evil from the outside world entering an idyllic small town. There's also a nice stairway chase up a clock tower which is not only vertiginous but reminds me of the windmill stairs in Foreign Correspondent - maybe it's the wood structure and the black and white.  It fits the "spy" Hitchcock template in many ways. 

• Like 1

8. Mississippi Mermaid - France ,1969 - Francois Truffaut's film of passion, betrayal and deception, starring Jean-Paul Belmondo and Catherine Deneuve is a classic homage to "The Master" himself.

Oh my gosh this is one my favorite films and you are SO right!  There's an abundance of motifs in this film as well as a huge psychoanalytic overlay which is very Hitchcockian,  And speaking of cool blonds - Catherine Deneuve! 

• Like 2

Scanning some of the postings, I'm glad that several people have mentioned High Anxiety. It's a funny film, both a homage and parody. It's not as funny as Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstien or the Producers but in the second tier of Brooks' films. I wonder if Hitchcock saw it. I think that Hitch would have enjoyed it.

• Like 3

To try and capture as many of these Hitchcock inspired films will be a herculean task. Imdb has an interesting list at:

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls071418428/

which gives 97 Hitchcock films not directed by Hitchcock. 

One of my own favorites is Duel​ from 1971. How much more of  German Expressionism can you get then a 5,000 gallon fuel tanker following you with malice and being unstoppable. Man versus machine!

Can't leave out Bogart's ​Dark Passage ​from 1947.

A few others from the list mentioned above are ​Play Misty For Me, Jaws, Abandon Ship (Tyrone Power 1957) , and ​Witness For the Prosecution (Tyrone Power innocent man indeed).

BBC's 2016 spy thriller "Secret Agent" with Toby Jones.

1993 sci-fi Lifepod... sorta of Lifeboat ​in space.

This list is great!  Thanks for posting it.  Some of the films listed I've seen, but many I haven't.  I'll have to find opportunities to see at least some of them.

I was glad to see some of the films listed:

• Charade
  • Dark Passage
  • Niagra [last night on TCM]
  • Witness for the Prosecution
  • Gaslight [love, love, love it!]
  • The Spiral Staircase
  • Leave Her To Heaven
  • The Uninvited [i just watched this again today]
  • The Stranger

I'd add to the list:

• Beware My Lovely (1952) - Ida Lupino & Robert Ryan.  Widow hires handyman who turns out to be schizophrenic who decompensates into psychotic episode, & widow is unable to escape from her home.  The ordinary person put in an extrodinary situation, & having to rely on her wits to get through it alive.  Limited set to film in [like Lifeboat & Rear Window].
  • Crisis (1950) - Cary Grant is a neurosurgeon in a South or Central American county in the midst of a revolution, forced into operating on the dictator.  Trains, some great POV shots, the ordinary person put in an extrodinary situation, & having to rely on his wits to get through it alive.

This course has been great!  Thank you to Dr. Edwards & Dr. Gehring for bring all this info together for us.  And, thank you to everyone here in the TCM Message Board for your insights.  And, special thanks to TCM for offering this course to the public.  TCM is very unique to the world of TV.  May they continue to evolve over the upcoming years in the fan interactive fashion that we see today!

• Like 7

I suppose the first movies that we all think about when considering what Hitchcock might have made if he were alive today are the Sharknado series of films. Right?

The horror sci-fi comedy disaster film genre so epitomized by the Sharknados seems to me to be where Hitchcock was going when he made the horror film Psycho in 1960 and sci-fi-ish disaster oeuvre The Birds in 1963. Both films included comedic touches.

Last night, I watched Sharknado 2, and when the shark bit off Tara Reid's hand, I was immediately struck by how Hitchcockian that was (an innocent blonde attacked while in a place that was seemingly safe from horror). Then when the two shark-infested water spouts converged on Manhattan, that theme was raised a quantum level! When Judd Hirsch got up that morning to drive his cab, did he really expect that he would be eaten by a hammerhead on Broadway? I bet not.

• Like 3

i recently watched Above Suspicion 1943 with Joan Crawford and felt this film applies. Joan and her husband are regular citizens who are asked to perform tasks as spies and subsequently encounter all sorts of trouble .

• Like 1

Some films that I feel have the slightest traces of the "Hitchcock touch" or have been inspired by Hitchcock are: "Double Indemnity", "Repeat Performance" and "High Anxiety."

• Like 3

Some that come to mind:

- Road Games (1981) directed by Richard Franklin - An Aussie film similar to Rear Window but from a      truck drivers point of view.  

- Wait Until Dark (1967) directed by Terrence Young

- Play Misty For Me (1971) directed by Clint Eastwood

- The Fallen Idol (1948) directed by Carol Reed 

There are also quite a few by Brian De Palma being Body Double, Sisters, Dressed to Kill etc.  

• Like 3

I might add films by M. Night. Shyamalan , who was heavily influenced by Hitchcock.  When I first watched Signs (2002) in the cinema I got a feeling of Hitchcock from the moment the movie started with that opening theme full of stringed instruments similar to how the opening of Psycho makes you feel. 

• Like 5

Frantic with Harrison Ford - husband and wife travel to Europe, wife gets kidnapped. Harrison looks all over Paris to try to find his wife. 1987 i think. Polanski directed it. 

• Like 2

How about "Foul Play"? Another parody of Hitchcock. I watch so many TCM movies that it's hard to process what I've seen. There's so many! I learned so much during this course and it will take a long time before I go into a crowded event and not think "Oh! Something could happen here.....!" "Hitchcock would love this venue!" 

The Third Man by Orson Welles. Dark, suspense. Wonderful

• Like 3

The Fugitive, innocent man accused, with a twist on the double chase, the marshall is chasing him, but Kimbel also is chasing his wife's murderers

The Twilight Zone

Cape Fear, the original and the remake by Scorsese.

Really Hitchcock was a big influence on Scorsese, Even a movie like After Hours, dark humor, there is sense of loneliness and isolation in even a busy city like New York.

Dr. Edwards of course mentioned, Brian DePalma.  Body Double is a variation of Rear Window.

The Usual Suspects

Heat, Micheal Mann in general.

Many of Nolan's movies.  Following is film noir ish with voyeurism.  Insomnia.  The Prestige.

Psychological Thrillers with romance and sex as themes, like Basic Instinct.  In fact I was going to comment that every movie of this type owes something not only to Hitchcock, but Bernard Herrmann.  Herrmann influenced the scores from all these movies.

Jaws.  The obvious thing is the Zolly of Brody on the beach (from Vertigo)  But there are many other things.  Personal story.  Jaws is one of my favorite movies.  My parents took the whole family to see it in a drive in.  I'm 48, so I must have been six or so.  Anyway, I remember some distinct shots from Jaws.  But now it has become a tradition with my daughter to watch Jaws sometime around July Fourth.  So I watch Jaws a couple times every year.  And it has become something I look for new things in the movie.  Through this course, I can see how people can dissect movies like Rear Window and Vertigo, repeated views to find new things.  Ok, the point I'm trying to make is the scene in Quint's boathouse, where Brody and Hooper are trying to convince Quint to take Hooper on the boat, The Orca, is very Hitchcockian.  One of my favorite scenes.  Some dark humor.  A low angle as Brody and Hooper look up at Quint.  Then Quint looking down on Hooper, literally as criticises Hooper.  Even test his merit as a sailor.  Physical objects like the rope and the duffle bag.  The blocking as characters move through the shot, changing focus from one character to the next.  The tension builds as Quint takes Hooper's hands.  Almost turning violent.  Then Brody framed between the two.   A over the shoulder shot from behind Quint that focuses on Hooper then Brody steps changing the focus to him.  Brody remains between the two to keep the two from a fight, a foreshadowing of events to come on The Orca.  From the course, I see many of these things in movies, like Downhill and Notorious.

• Like 5

My favourite homage to Hitchcock, is episode #16 "Mr. Yin Presents" (season finale) of PSYCH, season 4.  Directed by James Roday.  It is hands down, the best episode of the entire 8 seasons of the show.  Here are a few snippets to wet your appetite:

Psych Catch Up - James Roday "Mr. Yin Presents" Intro

SEASON FINALE of Psych on USA Network - "Mr. Yin Presents" 3/10 Promo

Scene from the SEASON FINALE of Psych on USA Network - "Mr. Yin Presents" 3/10

Scene #2 from SEASON FINALE of Psych on USA Network - "Mr. Yin Presents" 3/10

Scene #3 from the SEASON FINALE of Psych on USA Network - "Mr. Yin Presents" 3/10

• Like 1

A big "Thank You" to all students of this fantastic class, TCM, and Professor Edwards.  I learned so much more about Hitchcock, and watched most of his films.  There is always something more to understand about the vulnerability, strengths, and fears within human nature, art, society, cinematography, music, sound/visual effects that Hitchcock left as his legacy.  Culturally influential, and timeless.

This was his final cameo.

My selection of modern day films similar to "Rear Window":

Body Double, 1984

Brian DePalma

Blue Velvet, 1986

David Lynch

Peeping Tom, 1960

Michael Powell

• Like 5

So, I've been watching a lot of Hitchcock lately, but just tried to catch up on my other DVR favorites and GRANTCHESTER is one that I've come up with that is very Hitchcockian.  I love the POV shots and the high angle shots.  One shot in particular struck me where they had a close-up on a man's mouth as he stated a very snarky response to a woman in the show.

• Like 2

I like Shutter Island. It puts me in the mind of Vertigo and Spellbound.

I have really enjoyed this class and I would like to thank everyone for making this an enjoyable experience. I would like to especially thank our scholars, Dr. Rich Edwards and Dr. Wes Gehring (Ball State University). This is my fourth course I have taken with you and as always it has been an educational and enlightening experience. Now I am sorry to say I will go through withdrawal symptoms until we meet again.

Also, to my fellow students it has been great reading and sharing ideas with you on this forum.

THANK YOU All!!!!!!!

• Like 4

I know I replied to this topic once before, but yesterday while I was cooking, I had The Bourne Legacy on TV. I looked up at there was a shot from above of the spiral staircase and one of the main characters going down to answer the door. The people she was about to let in were there to kill her. It reminded me of all the staircases in Hitchcock's movies.

• Like 1

Hitch at 50!!! 

I have jpeg from (presumably) the set of "Torn Curtain"  that shows Hitch flanked by Julie Andrews and Paul Newman with a cake that has a banner that reads "Congratulations Hitchcock Number 50!"  

http://pin.it/anl6Dns

You made need to copy the URL and paste it into a new search bar if clicking on the link does not work. 

1.)   A series of films that were not just inspired by Hitchcock, but were direct continuations of his storyline from "Psycho" were the three "Psycho" sequels:

Psycho II

Psycho III

Psycho IV:  The Beginning (This third sequel was a TV movies and was written by Joseph Stefano)

2.)   Currently, there is a series on A&E Network called "Bates Motel".

There was also a TV movies called The Birds II".  I think it was broadcast in the 1990's, but I would have to double check.

3.)   No to mention that Anthony Hopkins played Hitchcock in a biopic about his life entitled "Hitchcock" which was released a few years ago.

4. )    There was also a TV movie remake of "Rear Window" starring Christopher Reeve.

5.)    The Burt Reynold's directed crime drama,  Sharkey's Machine (1981) features numerous

scenes where Tom Sharkey Is observing Domino (Rachel Ward's character)  using

binoculars from another apartment building across from hers.  The entire scene is directly inspired by Rear Window.

6.)    There was also a remake of "Psycho" released in 1998 starring Vince Vaughan and directed by Gus Van Sant.

Also inspired by Hitchcock is Halloween directed by John Carpenter

The movie "Bats" starring Lou Diamond Phillips was inspired by "The Birds".

Bringing out the '90s kid in me...

There was one episode of Steven Spielberg's Animaniacs that paid homage to Alfred Hitchcock...

wnlVs0l.jpg
aZ96RdH.jpg

Even the opening of the show pays homage to the opening of Alfred Hitchcock Presents, his anthology TV series, and yes, they even play the iconic theme of it...

HWiocMV.jpg

There is also a Halloween-themed episode of the Nickelodeon TV series Rocko's Modern Life that also pays homage to Alfred Hitchcock Presents, and Hitchcock in general, entitled "Ed is Dead - A Thriller".

4g9iZjY.jpg
zxHwdal.jpg

Film-wise, there was a 1961 animated short from Warner Brothers entitled The Last Hungry Cat starring Sylvester and Tweety that is done in the style of an Alfred Hitchcock crime thriller, even to the point where the narrator does a rather impressive impersonation of Hitchcock. Then there is also the title sequence from the 1973 Blake Edwards film The Pink Panther Strikes Again, in which the cartoon panther holds up a silhouette of Hitchcock.

V3fSjEg.jpg

• Like 1

Now that I’ve learned SO much in this course, I’m anxious to see the new movie Dunkirk because I’ve heard it has many elements that are a nod to Hitchcock...

Pure suspense

Hans Zimmer score

More emphasis on visual imagery vs. conversation, to propel the story

Bold camera techniques

Nail-biting sound design over dialog

Story told from three perspectives, interweaving and jumping back and forth in time

I also read where they needed to solve the problem of how to shoot inside a Spitfire plane because the camera didn’t fit in the cockpit. They wanted the fight scenes to look as authentic as possible, not green-screened or filmed in a studio. So they hung the camera outside the cockpit and built a special lens that bent like a periscope. I think Hitchcock would have approved.