spence

Movies You Went Back to in a Theatre in Your Life???

19 posts in this topic

(*-always indicates an *Academy (AMPAS) Award Winner)

A topic I've always loved, long before going on the internet too.

Please post your personal pix for movies that you loved sooo much-(or hated & were just fun to go & see over & over)  that you $paid$ to go see again & only counts of they were in a theatre now please?

As usual I'll start the ball w/some of mine in my almost (53) years on this planet  (In no special order either)

"Towering Inferno" (l974)-(as listed below McQueen was my idol ages 9 to 15, as was Evel Knievel-(l938-2007)-(went about 3 times) & typically of kids we used to act out the scenes

"Jaws" (l975)-(my best pal & I would go to it almost every day that summer where it was only a $buck)

"Apocalypse Now" (l979)-(I was officially too young at age 15 to be able to see it, but that didn't stop me. & that year of '79 means a lot to me personally, because I first fell in love with cinema-(a lot had to do with tv talk shows such as Mike Douglas-(l925-2006) who was a bona-fide cinephile & always spoke of Hollywoods Golden Age & *"The Great: Tracy" especially, his idol. Somewhat Merv Griffin-(l925-2007) but not as much. Johnny Carson-(l925-2005) is of course the "Mt. Summit" of them all, but rarely spoke of his own favorite's, except Jack Benny was his main idol & *Jimmy Stewart on "The Silver-Screen"-(NOTE: Go check out on youtube a NBC special he did with *Jimmy just walking around Universal) & when pressed Carson would choose *"Casablanca" & Tom Snyder-(l936-2006) was just marvelous & on every topic, movies being 1 He always siunce childhood thought *Tracy was "The Man" *I. Bergman of the ladies & *"Rebecca" his fav. film.  Even used to go through Rona Barrett's-(l936-) movie mags looking for photos of my 1st hero & "King of Movie Cool: Steve McQueen"-(l930-80)  I know she was all gossip though. I hate when most young & younger so called fans say they love cinema, but always say something only 2-25yrs is before their time & aren't interested. I always preferred classics. & went to "Apocalypse" about (30 times It really put the hook in me.

*"Platoon" (l986)-(3 times)-(some movies when over you can hear a pin drop, this was one)

"Saving Pvt. Ryan" (l998) (twice)

*"The Deer Hunter" (l978) (twice)

"GodFellas" (l990) (3)

"Pulp Fiction" (l986) (3)

"Courage Under Fire" (l996) (3 but only because I had a crush on Meg Ryan at the time)

*"Titanic" (l997) (3 times)

I'd love to be in a major market NY, LA,etc-(not Chicago though by any means!!!), where us fans can go & see such legendary heavyweights sev. times as>"Captains Courageous"-(my fav. of his 74), "Splendor in the Grass"-(was also Natalie's own fav.),  "Some Came Running"-(fav. of *"The Chairman's") *Chaplin's masterpieces & more of course. Even *"Uncle Walt's glorious era>"Dumbo" "Pinocchio" "Fantasia"-I did go to see 2000's "Fantasia: 2000"  "The Searchers"  And despite living

ng down here in the bottom-of-the barrel state of FL I was lucky enough to go & see "Kane" *"Casablanca" "It's a Wonderful Life" "Rear Window" "Vertigo" "Teasure Sierra Madre"-(the theatre chopped scenes out!)

"Guess Who's Coming to Dinner"

But my "WISH-LIST" is>  *"The Godfather" "Godfather, Part 11" "C. Courageous" "Inherit the Wind" "Some Came Running" "Splendor in the Grass" "Daisy Clover" "A Night at the 0pera" either "City Lights" or "Modern Times" & a couple more

& I've gone back to see numerous releases twice, but not many three times

SO, WHAT ARE YOURS?

Back in the 80s when I was first getting into studio-era films there was a retro theater that was 10 miles from me and one in Hollywood that was about 35 miles from me.

Bogie was a stable at these theaters and I saw on the big screen;  Casablanca,  The Big Sleep,  To Have and Have Not,  Dead Reckoning,   The Maltese Falcon,  and Treasures of the Sierra Madre.

Bette Davis was also featured a lot so I saw many of her 'hits' as well;  Dark Victory,  Now Voyager, The Letter and Jezebel.

The theater in Hollywood also had a Beatles film series,  so I was able to see Hard Days Night, Help,  and Let it Be. 

I was heavily into Westerns as a kid mostly watched them on TV there were quite a few on in those days, but occasionally I'd see one at the theater, I remember seeing The Alamo at the local Lowes Triborough theater It must have been a road show cause I remember getting a souvenir booklet.  I remember going to Nevada Smith and then not too long after that to see For A Few Dollars More in 1966 at the Astoria Theater. 

I went to school in Manhattan on 54th street between 5th and 6th Ave so I was two blocks from Times Square. At some time late in the year either November or December some of the Times Square theaters began showing a double bill of A Fistfull Of Dollars and For A Few Dollars More so it was a short walk for me to spend about four hours after school watching Sergio Leone's films. At the end of December The Good The Bad and The Ugly had its US premier. I went to that multiple times. Then the Times Square theaters started stringing all three of them together so you had a triple bill that you could spend almost 6 hours at.  

The Leone Westerns must have did pretty good business cause the theaters would bring them back in triple bills up to 1968 when they added Hang 'em High to the three Leone Westerns with Eastwood being the connection to all four, so now you could spend 8 hours at the theater and of course I did.  B)

• Like 1

I was heavily into Westerns as a kid mostly watched them on TV there were quite a few on in those days, but occasionally I'd see one at the theater, I remember seeing The Alamo at the local Lowes Triborough theater It must have been a road show cause I remember getting a souvenir booklet.  I remember going to Nevada Smith and then not too long after that to see For A Few Dollars More in 1966 at the Astoria Theater. 

I went to school in Manhattan on 54th street between 5th and 6th Ave so I was two blocks from Times Square. At some time late in the year either November or December some of the Times Square theaters began showing a double bill of A Fistfull Of Dollars and For A Few Dollars More so it was a short walk for me to spend about four hours after school watching Sergio Leone's films. At the end of December The Good The Bad and The Ugly had its US premier. I went to that multiple times. Then the Times Square theaters arted stringing all three of them together so you had a triple bill that you could spend almost 6 hours at.  

The Leone Westerns must have did pretty good business cause the theaters would bring them back in triple bills up to 1968 when they added Hang 'em High to the three Leone Westerns with Eastwood being the connection to all four, so now you could spend 8 hours at the theater and of course I did.  B)

I also got to go to a Lowes theatre back in the summer of 1979 to see "Rockly II"   Of course it's probably gone by now

"The Alamo" (l960) gets a bad rap, but is well made in my view (***1/2)  Not so with *"The Duke's" 2nd & final directorial effort in 1968's mess "The Green Berets"  But you can obviously see for those looking for it, *Ford's influence on him with "The Alamo" It was up for BP but not him for BD.

& the 2004 remake was also well-made with *Billy Bob Thornton

*"The Duke" looked like he was still fighting WW11 style in it  But it was a huge $hit$  Talking about "GB"

Who's ever seen the semi rare photos of not only *Ford, but Ward Bond visiting him on the set of "The Alamo?" Bond died just after at only 57

Back in the 80s when I was first getting into studio-era films there was a retro theater that was 10 miles from me and one in Hollywood that was about 35 miles from me.

Bogie was a stable at these theaters and I saw on the big screen;  Casablanca,  The Big Sleep,  To Have and Have Not,  Dead Reckoning,   The Maltese Falcon,  and Treasures of the Sierra Madre.

Bette Davis was also featured a lot so I saw many of her 'hits' as well;  Dark Victory,  Now Voyager, The Letter and Jezebel.

The theater in Hollywood also had a Beatles film series,  so I was able to see Hard Days Night, Help,  and Let it Be. 

Can you believe I've never seen "A Hard Day's Night"   Which is your favorite *Bogie picture & also *Bette Davis'? :mellow: 

I went to school in Manhattan on 54th street between 5th and 6th Ave so I was two blocks from Times Square. At some time late in the year either November or December some of the Times Square theaters began showing a double bill of A Fistfull Of Dollars and For A Few Dollars More so it was a short walk for me to spend about four hours after school watching Sergio Leone's films. At the end of December The Good The Bad and The Ugly had its US premier. I went to that multiple times. Then the Times Square theaters arted stringing all three of them together so you had a triple bill that you could spend almost 6 hours at.  

A fan of *Clint-(by the way he has yet another coming up & at almost age 88!)  But not so much with his "Hang 'Em High" (TRIVIA: Leone desperately wanted him for Harmonica in the magnificent "0nce Upon a Time in the West" (l969) but for some reason *eastwood didn't want to do it? So of course Charles Bronson inherited the pivotal role instead. *Clint always talks about Sergio not speaking to him the rest of his life too, passing away in 1989 at only age 60

Can you believe I've never seen "A Hard Day's Night"   Which is your favorite *Bogie picture & also *Bette Davis'? :mellow:

I highly recommend A Hard Day's Night;  TCM shows this a few times a year.  

My favorite Bogie picture would be The Big Sleep.    My favorite Davis picture The Petrified Forest  (but this is my favorite film since Leslie Howard is my favorite actor,   Davis my favorite actress,  and of course the film that really launched Bogie's career (thanks to Howard). 

My favorite Bette Davis 'Davis picture' (I.e. a film makes exclusively to showcase her talents),  would be Now Voyager.

• Like 1

Went to "American Graffiti" three times when it came out. It was my senior year in high school.

I went to see Young Frankenstein at least five times.

I did, too! It was 5 Saturdays in a row. I was 9 yrs old, my sister was 11, and we begged our dad to let us go. He bought our tickets ( it was a PG film), dropped us off at the theater and picked us up afterward. Can you imagine in this day and age dropping your 2 pre teen girls off by themselves to see a film? :lol:

In 1987, a re-release of Lawrence Of Arabia was being shown nationally for the 25th anniversary of the film's release. My mom, my sister (same sister!) and I got compulsive and went to see it once a week for a month. That's a long film to see 4 times so closely together!

At today's prices it's been many a moon since I've done that.  But, I'll give it a try, and in no particular order....

HELL IS FOR HEROES

101 DALMATIONS

VISIT TO A SMALL PLANET

RIO BRAVO

THE BELLBOY

THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE

MR. HOBBS TAKES A VACATION

THE 7 FACES OF DR. LAO

A HARD DAY'S NIGHT

FANTASIA

WOODSTOCK

THE GODFATHER

BLAZING SADDLES

THE LAST PICTURE SHOW

PAPER MOON

HAROLD AND MAUDE

PAPILLON

STAR WARS

Sepiatone

At today's prices it's been many a moon since I've done that.  But, I'll give it a try, and in no particular order....

HELL IS FOR HEROES

101 DALMATIONS

VISIT TO A SMALL PLANET

RIO BRAVO

THE BELLBOY

THE 7 FACES OF DR. LAO

A HARD DAY'S NIGHT

FANTASIA

WOODSTOCK

THE GODFATHER

BLAZING SADDLES

THE LAST PICTURE SHOW

PAPER MOON

HAROLD AND MAUDE

PAPILLON

STAR WARS

Sepiatone

SEPIATONE, I agree 100% on prices & where is it going? I get 1/2 off at local theaters myself though, reckon' because I;m such a regular.

It's the concession stand that does it. Up until '96-(from 1982) I only got some ice water

Ever see 2000's "Fantasia: 2000?"

& I'll never forget, technically I shgouldn't have been admitted though. But seeing *"The Godfather" & had to go to the bathroom & someguy was heaving BIG-TIME at horse's head sequence

I went to school in Manhattan on 54th street between 5th and 6th Ave so I was two blocks from Times Square. At some time late in the year either November or December some of the Times Square theaters began showing a double bill of A Fistfull Of Dollars and For A Few Dollars More so it was a short walk for me to spend about four hours after school watching Sergio Leone's films. At the end of December The Good The Bad and The Ugly had its US premier. I went to that multiple times. Then the Times Square theaters started stringing all three of them together so you had a triple bill that you could spend almost 6 hours at.  

Apparently it's your favorite *Mel flick right?   Ebert & Siskel couldn't rave enough about "The Produycers" (l968) That later version was a wash-out starring: Nathan Lane & M. Broderick  Looks like I was about only person the go & see it, it barely hit $20m.  Wasn't bad though & Uma looked gorgeous!

(TRIVIA:  This is not idle gossip, but well known in Hollywood history  The legendary Marilyn Monroe had a massive crush on both Zero Mostel and Albert Einstein)

Went to "American Graffiti" three times when it came out. It was my senior year in high school.

A PHENOMENAL PICTURE!!! :D  :D  :D   Sadly you should see Candy Clark-(only 1 to be remembered come *Oscar nominee day) on one of the "Law & Order" shows  & Le Mat sure didn't hit the highnote, huh

& who would have ever think it that Harrison Ford would become a legend

Matter of fact in 1994 (NATO)-National association of theatre 0wners voted Ford as the #1 all-time Box-0ffice Champion

HELL IS FOR HEROES

101 DALMATIONS

VISIT TO A SMALL PLANET

RIO BRAVO

THE BELLBOY

THE 7 FACES OF DR. LAO

A HARD DAY'S NIGHT

FANTASIA

WOODSTOCK

THE GODFATHER

BLAZING SADDLES

THE LAST PICTURE SHOW

PAPER MOON

HAROLD AND MAUDE

PAPILLON

STAR WARS

Sepiatone

What do you think of McQueen's performance itself in "PAPILLON?"

• Like 1

In 7th grade, I saw Titanic three times.  My husband and I saw Guardians of the Galaxy twice.  

Of films that were re-released in the theaters that I've seen multiple times: Singin' in the Rain, Casablanca, Double Indemnity and Psycho.

• Like 1

What do you think of McQueen's performance itself in "PAPILLON?"

I thought it was one of his best.  Hoffmann too was very good.

And Goldsmith's score is up there for me as well.

Sepiatone

Maybe it was the drugs, but I was motivated to get to every screening I could of The Man Who Fell to Earth ​(speaking of Candy Clark)​, which was tough because it wasn't in the usual theaters. Thankfully, there were still revival houses in those days, so that gave me a few more opportunities.

Years earlier, I saw a one-time-only screening of Bo Widerberg's Joe Hill​ when the distributor at the last minute couldn't supply the scheduled film at my local theater. I was so taken by it that a couple of years later I hitchhiked from Cape Cod in a snowstorm to catch a showing by an MIT film society.