Dr. Rich Edwards

8/2/17 Lecture Note Discussion: Who Would be a Hitchcock Collaborator in 2017?

99 posts in this topic

In my opinion, James Wan and Drew Goddard would be interesting Hitchcock collaborators, because both have worked many times in the genres of suspense, psychological thriller and even horror, so they have plenty of experience. The first could help with the story or as a producer while the second one would be definitely an interesting constructionist for Hitch, because he can combine the auteur touch with the audience taste (he can have a comedic tone as well). In the case of cinematography, I would like to see Hitchcock working with Jeff Cronwnweth or Matthew Libatique due to their ability to create worlds full of disturbance and atmospheres of mistery as it is shown in, for example, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Black Swann respectively. The costume design head department of 2017 for Hitchcock could include Sandy Powell who has worked many times with Martin Scorsese or Trish Summermille who has collaborated with David Fincher many times too. Both have proved their ability to be involved in dark stories who convey clues of character personalities through clothes. Finally, for editing I would choose Lee Smith, because he is able to create such tension and suspense that Hitchcock probably would team up very well with him. Among his credited work, it is possible to identify Inception, The Dark Knight, Interstellar and Dunkirk, which effectiveness rests on the editing in key climatic scenes.  

• Like 2

I personally think Stephen Spielberg would be an excellent collaborator with Hitchcock, especially if he resorted to directing Science Fiction from the 80's to today. John Williams would be Hitchcock's Bernard Herrman, providing the soundtrack. I truly feel those collaborations would work

• Like 2

I agree with many of those posted, I would add Jennifer Lawrence as actress; definitely Hans Zimmer, John Williams and James Horner - composers;  Christopher Nolan, Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu - Directors and Hoyte Van Hoytema, John Toll, Emmaneul Lubezki and Wally Pfister - cinematographers

• Like 2

The two that come to mind would be composer Alexandre Desplat and director Stanley Donen. I picked Alexnadre Desplat because of his music for some of the Harry Potter films. I thought he would complement a Hitchcock movie nicely, with the experience of extraordinary music for extraordinary scenarios. Stanley Donen, I thought, would also be a nice complement to Hitchcock because of his movie Charade, which is called " The Greatest Hitchcock movie Hitchcock never made".

My third pick would be, if he was still alive, would be Stanley Kubrick. I would choose him because of The Shining and his essence of a Hitchcockian mindset.

• Like 2

Present-day collaborators for Hitch might include:

Julie Taymor, set designer.  She does mostly stage production, but her imaginative use of  puppets and scenic design would please him, I think.  I recently went back and looked at the scene in Saboteur where they are searching the circus train after learning that they used cut-out figures with tiny flashlights!  That is the kind of thing Taymor would think of.

Shondra Rimes, TV writer-producer is an expert in plot twists and turns

The Ephron sisters, screen writers, directors had an edgy, humorous approach to relationships. (When Harry Met Sally), Sleepless in Seattle, Children of a Lesser God, etc.) I would have loved to see what they could have done with Hitchcock!

Mark Isham, a new-age composer who works in film and television.  Very evocative music

Chris Thile, the new host of Prairie Home Companion, plays classical mandolin.  I can just imagine his music as background for some twisty scene!

• Like 2

I'm sorry to say I don't know much about costume designers, editors, or art directors. However, I think of the more modern writers, I would love to have seen Hitchcock work with Nora Ephron. She didn't do suspense but she had a seemingly encyclopedic knowledge of movies, and she wrote funny yet poignant dialogue and scripts.

For musicians, had he lived, Hitchcock might have continued to work with John Williams. He might also have worked well with Alexandre Desplat or maybe Nicholas Hooper, both of them creating amazing scores for some of the Harry Potter movies, as did John Williams. By the way, John Williams has won 5 Oscars, and been nominated an additional 45 times, so I think John Williams would have continued to work well with Hitchcock if he had continued to make movies past Family Plot.

• Like 4

I've always liked the title sequences in David Fincher's movies, and he has acknowledged Saul Bass as an influence. They do draw the viewer in to the movie, the way Hitch's opening scenes/titles did, in either an exciting or unsettling way.

• Like 2

Director: Christopher Nolan/ Brian De Palma.

Screenplay: Patrick Smith Kelly.

Costume Designer: Suzy Benzinger.

Music director: Alan Silvestri.

Actors: Christian Bale/ Keanu Reeves/ Hugh Jackman/ George Clooney/ Will Smith/ Ben Affleck.

Actresses : January Jones/ Rebecca Romijn/ Blake Lively/ Evan Rachel Wood/ Charlize Theron/ Rosamund Pike/ Diane Kruger.

• Like 2

I'm not going to put directors, since I don't know if Hitch would ever basically co-direct something

Screenwriters

Joel & Ethan Coen (great dialogue, can do thrillers, clearly influenced by Hitchcock's work, often adapt books, and have some humor)

Tony Gilroy

Michael Connelly 

Brian De Palma (I'm sure he'd modify and change a lot, but the pairing seems too obvious given De Palma's career and types of projects.)

Cinematographers

Roger Deakins

Jeff Crownweth

Music

Hans Zimmer

John Williams

Editor

Themla Schoonmaker

Kirk Baxter and Angus Wall

Actors and Actresses

Charlize Theron (I think this one is a no brainer)

Leonardo DiCaprio

Ryan Gosling

Matt Damon (I have sneaking suspicion he'd put him in a peeping tom type role like Stewart in REAR WINDOW.)

Scarlett Johannson

Kate Winslet 

Rachel McAdams

Denzel Washington (even though he is getting older, between his history in thrillers and his acting ability and rare star quality, I think Hitch would jump at using him.)

Tom Hanks

Javier Bardem

Ben Affleck (in a villain or supporting role)

Mark Ruffalo

Viola Davis (in an evil older mother role I think)

Meryl Streep (same as Davis)

maybe Tom Hardy

Jake Gyllenhaal 

James McAvoy (in some off the wall villain type role ala Robert Walker in STRANGERS ON A TRAIN)

Gwneyth Paltrow (potentially...)

It's sad to say, but a number of obvious actresses probably wouldn't get major Hitchcock roles anymore because of their current age. For instance: Naomi Watts, Michelle Pfeiffer, Nicole Kidman, Sharon Stone (she might be debatable though, even in the past, given how front and center her sex appeal is and how Hitch didn't use sultry actresses like Monroe or Loren). I'm not sure he'd use George Clooney now either, though I could've seen Clooney from 5 years ago or so in one of those Cary Grant type parts.

• Like 5

Tom Hanks is so fitting the Jimmy Stewart characters. George Clooney and Leo DiCaprio seem to the Cary Grant followers. The blondes, of course, would be Scarlett Johansson, Charlize Theron – so Grace Kelly and Naomi Ellen Watts.

Mark Boal and Kathryn Bigelow would be the team that reminds me of Alfred Hitchcock and Alma as great collaborators.

Costume Design would be Sandy Powell from The Aviator and Young Victoria or Valentino.

Jeff Beal has the most haunting music since Vertigo. He does the music for the Jessie Stone series. And of course, Hans Florian Zimmer as his score for the Gladiator was outstanding.   

• Like 4

I'm not going to put directors, since I don't know if Hitch would ever basically co-direct something

Screenwriters

Joel & Ethan Coen (great dialogue, can do thrillers, clearly influenced by Hitchcock's work, often adapt books, and have some humor)

Tony Gilroy

Michael Connelly 

Brian De Palma (I'm sure he'd modify and change a lot, but the pairing seems too obvious given De Palma's career and types of projects.)

Cinematographers

Roger Deakins

Jeff Crownweth

Music

Hans Zimmer

John Williams

Editor

Themla Schoonmaker

Kirk Baxter and Angus Wall

Actors and Actresses

Charlize Theron (I think this one is a no brainer)

Leonardo DiCaprio

Ryan Gosling

Matt Damon (I have sneaking suspicion he'd put him in a peeping tom type role like Stewart in REAR WINDOW.)

Scarlett Johannson

Kate Winslet 

Rachel McAdams

Denzel Washington (even though he is getting older, between his history in thrillers and his acting ability and rare star quality, I think Hitch would jump at using him.)

Tom Hanks

Javier Bardem

Ben Affleck (in a villain or supporting role)

Mark Ruffalo

Viola Davis (in an evil older mother role I think)

maybe Tom Hardy

Jake Gyllenhaal 

James McAvoy (in some off the wall villain type role ala Robert Walker in STRANGERS ON A TRAIN)

Gwneyth Paltrow (potentially...)

It's sad to say, but a number of obvious actresses probably wouldn't get major Hitchcock roles anymore because of their current age. For instance: Naomi Watts, Michelle Pfeiffer, Nicole Kidman, Sharon Stone (she might be debatable though, even in the past, given how front and center her sex appeal is and how Hitch didn't use sultry actresses like Monroe or Loren). I'm not sure he'd use George Clooney now either, though I could've seen Clooney from 5 years ago or so in one of those Cary Grant type parts.

WOW! Now that's one humongous list of Hitchcock collaborators you got there and it looks awesome.
  • Like 1

I think Hitchcock might consider reaching out to writer/director M. Night Shayamalan.  His list of awards is very impressive:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_M._Night_Shyamalan#Academy_Awards

M. Night...

1)  uses the same 'stars' for his films (actors in 2 of his movies: Bruce Willis, Bryce Dallas, Joaquin Phoenix, and Cherry Jones) 

2)  He writes and directs and likes surprise endings

3)  He does cameo appearances in all his movies

4)  He introduces the story with 'ordinary' people' in extraordinary situations: The Sixth Sense, Signs, Unbreakable, and The Village.

4)  He uses the MacGuffin (in Signs: the little girls' glasses filled with water)

The new Bernard Herrmann would be Hans Zimmer.

The new Edith Head would be Anna Robbins, head of wardrobe on Downton Abbey

• Like 4

Ok, I might get slammed for this. But, I'm going to say John Carpenter.

I was watching some of his work last night, and can really see what I think is Hitchcock influence. The same actors used in different movies, the signature scenes, using his own "dream team" of collaborators, the soundtracks.

Just my thought.

For actors, I would find it interesting if he worked with the children and grandchildren of the actors he worked with in his hey day. Cary Grant's daughter, Tippi Hedrin's daughter and granddaughter, Janet Leigh's daughter. 

• Like 1

Just saw the Shindig video with Richard Edwards and Alexander Phillippe. The topics and questions discussed were enlightening. I loved the informal forum. I appreciate that people want to delve more in to what makes a great artist, but sometimes it's the need to just create and keep things anew. I think if Hitchcock analyzed why he did certain things in his films, we would not have this volume of outstanding films. He just did them.  As far as collaborators, he might be interested in working with,I would have to say Chris Nolan. I feel he is an artist/entertainer just as Hitchcock was. He also writes and collaborates with his wife Emma. I know he also formed his own production company, sound familiar? Hopefully egos wouldn't get in the way.

• Like 2

You just read my mind. I love Tim Burton. And the rest of your list.

I will add a titles designer category: Pablo Ferro. He worked with Kubrick quite often and my friend Douetta (Douy) Swofford. You can google both if you are interested.

You just read my mind. I love Tim Burton. And the rest of your list.

I will add a titles designer category: Pablo Ferro. He worked with Kubrick quite often and my friend Douetta (Douy) Swofford. You can google both if you are interested.

made even cooler by being from Woodstock!

• Like 2

I suggest as musical scorers/ composers: John Williams, Thomas Newman, Angelo Badalamenti, Hans Zimmer. These men have won many awards and seem to be very creative and sensitive to a director's view.  I think Hitchcock would have approved.   Laurence Bennett (The Artist) and Jack Fisk (The Revenant)  for art/production design, examples of memorable work. They stand out for me.   Sandy Powell (Carol) and Madeline Fontaine (Jackie) for costume design.  All these folks, seems to my untrained eyes/ears, anyway, would have worked well with Hitchcock. And John Williams did in Family Plot.  As for writers, I think he would have liked Paula Hawkins (The Girl on the Train), and not just because of the train theme (!!). Sue Grafton, maybe. P.D. James, perhaps. And of course Steve Fuller and Mark Gardner, who designed the Mad Men title sequence reminiscent of Saul Bass' work in so many Hitchcock films. 

• Like 1

From the knowledge of Hitchcock working style--the closest of the modern directors who can or possess a trace of Hitch's ethics would be Scorsese. They are both visual people. Since Alexandre Phillipe said he would love to see more comedies from Hitchcock to which I agreed. To this I add the Coen brothers. They possess a dark humor that would be in line with Hitchcock's English black humor to a tee.

John Williams, though he worked with Master before, I would like to have seen the collaboration comes to fruition. I think John Williams is more closely in style of Bernard Herrmann.

As for costume, Edith Head was an interesting person to say the least. With her contract at Paramount which was to last from the 30s to early 60s was unique. It is widely known that her name gets credited on "A" pictures. Her clothes were never considered pretty. It was correct for the character. Doris Day said that about Head clothes in "Man Who Knew too Much". Her clothes were indigenous to that period and it worked. Her clothes for all of Hitchcock's blondes were correct for the period with the exception of those for Eva Marie Saint. The suits worn by Novak, Hedren, Kelly and Day, all share her touch known as Edith Head suit--the semi-fitted three buttons suit paired with a slim a-line pencil skirt are perhaps her legacy with Hitchcock where his dictive were precise and often left no room for creativity. (Everyone who loved classic knew of her Oscars award for 1954 Sabrina. It wasn't her designs and wiling her contract her name was credited, but thus created one of cinematic most celebrated collaboration of designer and star which still holds the film goers to imagination to this day.)

From that brief essay above, Sandy Powell would be a good fit. She designed costumes that fit the character and not an actress personal taste.

Cinematography: no one comes to mind.

Editor: Thelma Schoonmaker. A brilliant woman and a shade of Alma in her eagle-eye observation would be a perfect fit.

• Like 1

If Hitchcock were to be alive today, he would still: innovate and push the boundaries of cinema, gravitate towards suspense thrillers, and have a sense of humor. 

Knowing all these things, I think for the DP (Cinematographer), he would work with Roger Deakins. Roger is british as well, and has worked on numerous thrillers and dark comedies with the Coen Bros. Among his best works include the Oscar-winning "No Country For Old Men" and more recently, "Sicario" which was Oscar-nominated and premiered at Cannes. Like Hitch, Roger has yet to win the Academy Award. In short, Roger is a great suspense-thriller DP that pushes boundaries and has all the big Hollywood resources to work on the the most cutting-edge sets in the industry. He'll even be lighting the new "Blade Runner Movie," a massive Hollywood sci-fi production. I can only imagine he has the chops to innovate alongside the master.

As for Production Designer, Hitch will probably work with Arthur Max at a certain point. Arthur worked on "Se7en," "The Martian" and "Gladiator," and has been nominated for the Oscars three times. He is capable of designing huge worlds that are grounded in realism. I know Hitchcock is not a fan of documentary realism, but for some reason, I feel that Hitch wouldn't use too much animation and CGI, because it's just too common in big-budget films these days. Hitch would probably find practical solutions to design, and Arthur Max seems to be the perfect guy for that: he builds big, lavish sets that are practically built rather than artificially designed by VFX. Not to mention, Arthur Max studied extensively in London, so there's that possible cultural connection too. 

Music is tough. There's a saturation of film musicians, and no one person seems to be the defining voice of today's generation the way John Williams, or Bernard Hermann was back in the day. I see a lot of posts favoring Hans Zimmer, but I digress--Hermann was not the Hans Zimmer of his day, not that he has to be, but Hitch seems to favor a special type of musician that engages in diverse experimentation of style and content. Hans is prolific and his music is strong and big, but it's not the kind of projects Hitch would probably direct all the time. I bet Hitchcock would rather go with Alexandre Desplat. He has tons of awards, and even won the Oscar for "The Grand Budapest Hotel." He works on Hollywood big budget movies like "Harry Potter" and "Godzilla," and award winning indies. If he doesn't win awards, he works on projects that do, such as "The King's Speech," "Argo," and "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button." Hitchcock is a prolific director, and his musicians seem to be equally so, if not more prolific in their respective field. Alexandre probably has the versatile skill sets necessary to work on a huge variety of Hitchcock pictures. 

As for writers--Hitch seems to love working with authors of thriller books too. Gillian Flynn did "Gone Girl" and "Dark Places," both crime thrillers that have been adapted into feature films. But I feel like Hitch would probably option the rights to another one of her books. It'd be interesting to see what he'd pick as a source material. 

I can't really think of any other collaborators at the moment. 

• Like 3

In terms of credits and possibly things like animated bits and production design for dream sequences, like Spellbound and Vertigo, I could see Hitchcock working with artists like Banksy, Shepard Fairey, and Shag.

For music, Danny Elfman is kind of a no brainer, but I could see him working with people like Peter Gabriel, Moby, and Trent Resnor. This not too much of a stretch because all three have done film scoring. Maybe a little more outside of the box, would be a group like Daft Punk. I'm sure there are some good hip-hop people, but seeing how I am old and white, I don't want to throw out names and prove how little I know about that type of music.

Writers, most of the people that come to mind are people who went on to direct themselves, but do have writing credits, the Coen brothers, Quentin Tarantino, Robert Rodriguez, Guillermo del Toro, and Jordan Peele.

I could see him embracing long format tv. I think he would find trying to tell a long story that unfolds over a period of years a challenge worth attempting. 

Finally, I could see him getting into modern special effects, but not so much for action, but for things he did best. I could see him doing a poisoning scene where he shows the poison moving through the body, or maybe a  physiological effects of a panic attack on the heart. 

• Like 1

Though I didn't mention it, I also thought of Vince Gilligan, and definitely I could see him doing a long format series like Breaking Bad.

I might be going out on a limb here, but in my view, one of the best creative teams these days is in TV (not film).  I'm referring to everyone involved in bringing Breaking Bad (and Better Call Saul) to the small screen.  

I can see Hitchcock collaborating with Vince Gilligan b/c he shares his interest in dark characters, his ability to beautifully showcase landscapes (New Mexico) and his ability to create truly believable anti-heros (Walter White).

Lawrence Kasdan is a good choice. Just wrote a piece on Body Heat. Thomas Newman is one of my favorites. I used to have the soundtracks to Wall-E and The Shawshank Redemption on my work computer. Listened to them all the time.

Screenwriter - Lawrence Kasdan, Paul Schrader

Costume Design - open

Director - Sofia Coppola, David Lynch, Lawrence Kasdan, Adrian Lyne

Editor - Fred Raskin

Cinematographer - Robert Richardson, Emmanuel Lubezki

Actors - Helen Mirren, Charlize Theron, Sharon Stone, Harvey Kietel, Mandy Patinkin, Tom Hanks,
Paul Giammatti, Nicole Kidman

Music - Ennio Morricone, John Williams, John Barry, Danny Elfman, Thomas Newman, Hans Zimmer

• Like 1

I agree with everyone about Steven Spielberg, John Williams, and Tom Hanks. I love that they seem to be a popular occurrence on this topic. They're all so amazing at what they do. I just want to add that I recently watched Sully​ and admire Tom Hanks so much. He does seem like a James Stewart type with the lovable characters that he plays, comedic or dramatic. As for John Williams, it's only fitting that we see him as a collaborator with Hitchcock since he actually did work with him. I'm a fan of his music, and there are similarities between him and Bernard Herrmann that are iconic. And Steven Spielberg is one of my favorite directors. It would be amazing to see his collaboration with Hitchcock, and the same goes for John Williams and Tom Hanks--if only that was possible!

I'd just like to add a few potential collaborators. They may or may not seem like a good match with Hitchcock's touch and style of storytelling, but I thought I'd just mention them anyway. J.J. Abrams came to mind as I went through everyone's posts so far. To me, he seems to be associated with the same genre as Steven Spielberg and could possibly be a good collaboration with Hitchcock. Michael Giacchino is another composer that I could see collaborate with Hitchcock. He's composed music for a few movies directed by Abrams, where, at least one, Steven Spielberg is a producer (​Super 8​).

As for actors, I thought I'd mention Benedict Cumberbatch and Tom Hiddleston. I'm not sure if these two would be in a Hitchcock film, but they both have that star quality that he seemed to like. They're also British and have that same sharply-dressed Cary Grant demeanor. They've played varying roles, but I can see them in movies like ​North by Northwest or ​Notorious​. Also, Tom Hiddleston has been in a couple Gothic horrors, which I thought was close to the horror elements of Psycho.

• Like 3

I was watching some of his work last night, and can really see what I think is Hitchcock influence. The same actors used in different movies, the signature scenes, using his own "dream team" of collaborators, the soundtracks.

Just my thought.

For actors, I would find it interesting if he worked with the children and grandchildren of the actors he worked with in his hey day. Cary Grant's daughter, Tippi Hedrin's daughter and granddaughter, Janet Leigh's daughter.

Just my thought.

Jamie Lee Curtis would be a great Hitchcock actor!