TheCid

Music of Film Noir

7 posts in this topic

TomJH posted the theme from Farewell My Lovely (thanks) on another thread and got me to thinking.

Has anyone ever done a compilation type CD (or vinyl) of the music of Film Noir?

Not individual soundtracks from each movie, but maybe the themes or better music from several.  Sort of the way Perch Faith, Ray Coniff and others used to do.

I have a CD called White Heat:  Film Noir, which is jazz arrangements of film noir themes.  It's older, around 1994.  Some good themes on it -- Laura, Lost Weekend, Big Sleep, Bad and the Beautiful, etc.

If I ever do a compilation CD, it will include music from the following noir:

The Strange Love of Martha Ivers

Sorry Wrong Number

Laura

Black Angel

In a Lonely Place

On Dangerous Ground

Elevator to the Gallows

Night Train

• Like 1

I have a CD called White Heat:  Film Noir, which is jazz arrangements of film noir themes.  It's older, around 1994.  Some good themes on it -- Laura, Lost Weekend, Big Sleep, Bad and the Beautiful, etc.

Thanks.  Unfortunately I forget what these songs sound like.  Just that I really liked Farewell My Lovely, which is much like Body Heat.

Did check out the ones recommended by James, but here again don't really remember them.

If I ever do a compilation CD, it will include music from the following noir:

The Strange Love of Martha Ivers

Sorry Wrong Number

Laura

Black Angel

In a Lonely Place

On Dangerous Ground

Elevator to the Gallows

Night Train

Decades ago I made a tape from the movies I had recorded featuring songs I loved.    E.g. Oz and Over the Rainbow,   Delightful to be Married from The Great Ziegfeld, etc...   (many of my friends felt I was really 'out-there' since they were creating Van Halen compilations and I was doing this!).

But I'm not sure one could make such a compilation from noir films since the songs are rarely featured in the film;  I.e. they are background music and therefore after a few seconds there would be dialog over the music.   E.g. Laura.    So it might work better to create a compilation from recordings made by singers that do the songs from those films;  e.g.  Laura - The Nat King Cole version is fantastic. 

As for Elevator to the Gallows:   The soundtrack was recorded by Miles Davis and his band while watching the film.  The complete soundtrack is available on CD.

• Like 1

Decades ago I made a tape from the movies I had recorded featuring songs I loved.    E.g. Oz and Over the Rainbow,   Delightful to be Married from The Great Ziegfeld, etc...   (many of my friends felt I was really 'out-there' since they were creating Van Halen compilations and I was doing this!).

But I'm not sure one could make such a compilation from noir films since the songs are rarely featured in the film;  I.e. they are background music and therefore after a few seconds there would be dialog over the music.   E.g. Laura.    So it might work better to create a compilation from recordings made by singers that do the songs from those films;  e.g.  Laura - The Nat King Cole version is fantastic. 

As for Elevator to the Gallows:   The soundtrack was recorded by Miles Davis and his band while watching the film.  The complete soundtrack is available on CD.

Thanks! Somehow, I find that I mostly enjoy this music when I watch the films. I'm not sure if I would ever go to the trouble of actually buying the soundtracks and/or making a CD compilation. For some reason, I feel that the music goes hand in hand with the movies, that I might not enjoy the music as much if I hear it without the movie, if that makes any sense (probably not..ha ha).  :) But hey, thanks for the information!  :)

I found a copy of "I'd Rather Have The Blues" from Kiss Me Deadly on Youtube. It's great to hear the entire song crystal clear.