LawrenceA

Musical Must-Sees

48 posts in this topic

About "Godspell" (1973)--It's been over 10 years since I've seen it, but I remember the musical score being good ("Day By Day", "By My Side", etc), nice location photography (New York City), but film had a near terminal case of the Cutes.  I can't recommend OR say avoid it.

"Hair" (1979)--I think Milos Forman directed it, but I missed this one.

Two questions:

Do you want a list for the 80's and 90's?

Do you want a list of films that aren't three stars? (None I'd rate below 2.5/4).  My list is fairly short--shorter than the 50's post.

• Like 1

Do you want a list for the 80's and 90's?

Do you want a list of films that aren't three stars? (None I'd rate below 2.5/4).  My list is fairly short--shorter than the 50's post.

Sure. I've probably seen most of the 80s and 90s movies, but a few notables may have slipped past me. And i'll take as many recommendations as I can get.

I"m leaving out box-office hits and well known films.  Most of these were box-office bombs, regardless of quality.  The 80's:

"Popeye" (1980)--Robert Altman musical starring Robin Williams and Shelley Duvall really tries to recreate the comic strip world.  Definitely worth a watch.

"Pennies From Heaven" (1981)--People weren't ready for a serious Steve Martin, and MGM lost 19 million on this musical with fine dance numbers and stars lip-synching to popular songs of the Depression Era.  Bernadette Peters and Jessica Walter costar.

"Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" (1982)--The film of the last show of the Off Broadway tour of the Stephen Sondheim musical.  Stars Angela Lansbury and George Hearn.  Highest recommendation.  Songs: "Have a Little Priest", "Pretty Women", etc.  TCM is showing this August 19th.

"Forbidden Zone" (1982)--Oingo Boingo and Susan Tyrell.

"Pirates of Penzance" (1983)--Linda Ronstadt, Kevin Kline, and Angela Lansbury star in this adaptation of the Gilbert and Sullivan operetta that bombed at the box-office due to Universal's releasing strategy and despite good reviews.

"Voyage of the Rock Aliens" (1984)--Pia Zadora and Jermaine Jackson in a sci-fi musical.  Look for the two MTV videos stuck into the film.

"That's Dancing! (1985)--Gene Kelly hosts this takeoff on the "That's Entertainment!" films.  Definitely worth a watch

• Like 1

"Voyage of the Rock Aliens" (1984)--Pia Zadora and Jermaine Jackson in a sci-fi musical.  Look for the two MTV videos stuck into the film.

That's the only one of those that I haven't seen, and I think you brought it up in the So Bad So Good thread, too!

• Like 1

This list will be short because most musicals were animated by 1995, with a few exceptions.

The 1990's:

"Cry Baby" (1990)-- a John Waters musical.

"Gypsy" (1993)--Bette Midler as Mama Rose in this television film.

"That's Entertainment Part III" (1994).

"Everyone Says I Love You" (1996)--Woody Allen's attempt at a naturalistic musical.

"Fantasia 2000" (1999)--I saw this on original release and thought it wonderful.  I haven't seen it in stores since about 2010--I suppose it's lost in The Disney Vault.  If you get a chance. see this--I've never seen it online.

• Like 1

I've seen the 90s movies, except for the TV Gypsy.

I typed up the list of all of the titles suggested here that I haven't seen or don't already have, and I just looked them up on YouTube. The bad news: I only found 10 of them that looked like passable enough copies to watch. That leaves around 40 more that aren't on there.

Lawrence--These titles are available on archive.org ( two were recommended by earlier posters):

"Darling Lili"--The first 4-5 minutes is a blank screen, as the Overture plays.

"Royal Wedding" (1951)--Are more than one copy.

"You'll Never Get Rich"(1941)--archived as "YllNvrGtRh1941".

"Good News" (1947)--archived as "GdN1947".

"There's No Business Like Show Business" (1954)--archived as "TNBLSB1954".

"The Pajama Game (1957)--archived as "ThPjmaGm1957".

These next three are in English, but have Portuguese subtitles:

"Song of Scheherazade" (1947)--archived as "Seducao 1947"

"The Pirate" (1948)--archived as "O Pirata". 

I forgot to recommend this one "Bittersweet" (1940)--archived as "Divino Tormento".

Could you post a list of the other titles you're searching for?  I'll check around the Net for the titles,

Could you post a list of the other titles you're searching for?  I'll check around the Net for the titles,

Marianne (1929)

Madam Satan (1930)

New Moon (1930)

Going Hollywood (1933)

The Cat and the Fiddle (1934)

The Merry Widow (1934)

One in a Million (1937)

You Were Never Lovelier (1942)

Atlantic City (1944)

Brazil (1944)

The Courtneys of Curzon Street  (1947)

Nancy Goes to Rio (1950)

The Toast of New Orleans (1950)

Easy to Love (1954)

Daddy Long Legs (1955)

Hit the Deck (1955)

It's Always Fair Weather  (1955)

Kismet (1955)

Magic Fire (1955)

The Best Things in Life are Free (1956)

Les Girls (1957)

Damn Yankees (1958)

Saint Louis Woman (1958)

Lil Abner (1959)

Porgy and Bess (1959)

Oh What a Lovely War (1969)

The Boyfriend (1971)

Godspell (1973)

• Like 1

Lawrence--Here's the movies I've found so far on archive.org:

"The Cat and the Fiddle" (1934)--archived as "O Gato E O Violino 1934"

"Thin Ice" (1937)--archived as "Ela E O Principe 1937".  This is another Sonja Henie vehicle.

"The Pirate" (1948)--archived as "TPrt 1948"; no subtitles with this print.

"The Toast of New Orleans (1950)--archived as "ThTstofNwOlns1950".

"It's Always Fair Weather (1955)--archived as "ItsAlysFrWthr1955".

"Bells Are Ringing" (1960)--archived as "BllsArRngng1960.

• Like 1

Lawrence--I checked YouTube out of curiosity.  I did find a watchable copy of "Magic Fire" (1955) there--it has subtitles, the video's four years old--but so few people have watched it (less than 10,000), the print is still in pretty good shape.

• Like 2

Lawrence--These titles are airing in the near future on TCM; am listing with times so you can watch/record: all times E.S.T.

"Daddy Long Legs" (1955)--Airing Sunday, August 27th at 1:15 a.m.

"Marianne" (1929)--Airing Tuesday, August 29th at midnight.

"The Boy Friend" (1971)--Airing Saturday, Sept. 16th, 2017 at 10:15 p.m.

"Les Girls" (1957)--Airing Monday, Oct. 9th, 2017 at 12:00 p.m.

"Easy to Love" (1954)--Airing Monday, Oct. 9th, 2017 at 4:00 p.m. 

"Madam Satan" (1930)--Airing Oct. 16th, 2017 at 8:00 p.m.

I struck out on all titles at dailymotion.com.

I'll check archive.org again for the remaining titles, then I'll admit defeat.

If I remember correctly, "Porgy and Bess"  (1959) is in "rights hell" with the Goldwyn Estate--I don't expect to find it.  All other titles SHOULD be findable.  Will post later.

• Like 1

I've seen the 90s movies, except for the TV Gypsy.

I typed up the list of all of the titles suggested here that I haven't seen or don't already have, and I just looked them up on YouTube. The bad news: I only found 10 of them that looked like passable enough copies to watch. That leaves around 40 more that aren't on there.

I don't know if this is right for you, but if you have an amazon fire stick or any android device, you can download an apk called Terrarium TV and I'm guessing you can find most of what you're looking for using it's search function...there are a few older films I haven't been able to find, but most are out there on a server somewhere, and this is much easier than Kodi  (I haven't gone through all your list, but I know ​Damn Yankees is there because I watched it a few weeks ago)--I find myself using it every day for either films or tv shows--you can watch new stuff there too.

• Like 1

I don't know if this is right for you, but if you have an amazon fire stick or any android device, you can download an apk called Terrarium TV and I'm guessing you can find most of what you're looking for using it's search function...there are a few older films I haven't been able to find, but most are out there on a server somewhere, and this is much easier than Kodi  (I haven't gone through all your list, but I know ​Damn Yankees is there because I watched it a few weeks ago)--I find myself using it every day for either films or tv shows--you can watch new stuff there too.

Sounds great! I have Amazon Fire Sticks on 2 of my TVs, so I'll try out Terrarium.

Lawrence--I found one more, and a few others.  With the gadget shutoo described, hope you will find all other films you're looking for.  

I found "You Were Never Lovelier" (1942) archived as "You Were Never Lovelie".  Will be the only result.

I found: "Jolson Sings Again" (1949)--Larry Parks as Al Jolson.  Story is so-so, music is very good.  Archived as "7006".  Should be first result.

"Hidden Hollywood II" (Uncertain of date)--Documentary focusing on discovery and preservation of Twentieth Century Fox lost numbers and songs from 1930's on; narrated by Joan Collins.  Archived as "619 B"--should be first result.

"Where Do We Go From Here?" (1945)--Delightful musical fantasy that was scored by Kurt Weill; the lyrics are by Ira Gershwin.  Starring Fred MacMurray and June Haver.  Archived as "311"; should be the 7th result without changing results to "movies only".

"State Fair" (1945)--Has the only Rodgers and Hammerstein score written for a screen musical.  Has the Oscar winning "It Might As Well Be Spring" and other good songs.  Film is overly cute, but not to a terminal degree.  Archived as "State Fair (1945); should be first result, a black box.

"Three Little Words" (1950)--I didn't list this because I dislike Red Skelton.  Fred Astaire and Vera-Ellen are fine, but Skelton gets on my nerves.  Archived as "ThrLtleWrds1950"; should be the only result.

"The Barkleys of Broadway" (1949)--Final teaming of Astaire and Rogers.  Highlight is Astaire's "Shoes With Wings On" number.  Archived as "ThBrklyofBrdwy1949; should be the only result.

"Dames" (1934)--Another Busby Berkeley musical.  Worth a look.  Archived as "Dms1934"  Should be the only result.

One final hint; on archive.org, when you find the film you want, scroll down and toward the bottom right, you'll find the handle of the person who downloaded the film.  Click on the name, and you will see a list of all the films that person downloaded.  Maybe you'll find other films you're interested in. Best of luck in finding the films I didn't.

• Like 1

The 1970's: 

"Darling Lili" (1970)--Julie Andrews and Rock Hudson star in this spy melodrama/musical.  The moviegoing public was tiring of roadshow musicals and this one lost a bundle, around 20 million.  Still, it's an enjoyable watch.  Song: "Whistling In The Dark".

Lawrence, FYI, try to see the 136 minute theatrical release version of "Darling Lili" (around 142 minutes with Overture and Exit Music), this is the version that usually runs on TCM but, sadly, has never been released on DVD.  

The DVD version is an edited down 107 minute "Director's Cut" that trims some of the best moments and musical sequences.

• Like 1

Lawrence--I found another one, where I had the title wrong.  "Saint Louis Blues" (1958) is on archive.org, archived as "547".  It was the first result for me.  Picture to click on shows Pearl Bailey in  a black and white picture, in a wide brimmed hat and long dress.

• Like 1

Larry,

How are we going to know when you've seen some of these? Will you provide a few short reviews or comments? I hope so. Then we can read some of your impressions.

Larry,

How are we going to know when you've seen some of these? Will you provide a few short reviews or comments? I hope so. Then we can read some of your impressions.

Yes, whenever I watch a musical, I'll post my usual capsule reviews in the Recently Watched Musicals thread. I know I'm slow to get to them, but I've been mired in the silent era for a few weeks. I'll begin my 1929 movies in a couple of days, and I'll have some reviews then. 

BTW, I got a box set of Betty Grable musicals today, including:

Down Argentine Way (1940)

Moon Over Miami (1941)

The Dolly Sisters (1945)

My Blue Heaven  (1950)

• Like 2

Yes, whenever I watch a musical, I'll post my usual capsule reviews in the Recently Watched Musicals thread. I know I'm slow to get to them, but I've been mired in the silent era for a few weeks. I'll begin my 1929 movies in a couple of days, and I'll have some reviews then. 

BTW, I got a box set of Betty Grable musicals today, including:

Down Argentine Way (1940)

Moon Over Miami (1941)

The Dolly Sisters (1945)

My Blue Heaven  (1950)

Great. You'll love those!

Lawrence--I found another of the musicals I recommended; "Let's Dance" (1950) with Fred Astaire and Betty Hutton.  It was catalogued by number (24), so I took part of the specific web address to search for; if you searched by number only, there would be over 200,000 results.  Using part of the web address pared that down to three results.

Search "phumepafri_thrma_24".  It should be the only #24 there.

• Like 1

Lawrence--I found another of the musicals I recommended; "Let's Dance" (1950) with Fred Astaire and Betty Hutton. It was catalogued by number (24), so I took part of the specific web address to search for; if you searched by number only, there would be over 200,000 results. Using part of the web address pared that down to three results.

Search "phumepafri_thrma_24". It should be the only #24 there.

Fred Astaire Fanatics like me remember this movie for at least two reasons--

It has the famous Astaire solo where he dances on the piano with the cats.

And in terms of rumor,innuendo and gossip, this is the movie where Fred Astaire's partner cried the most because she couldn't keep up with his steps.

I never could figure that one out. Because Betty Hutton is such a good performer. But I think she just must have been nervous. Apparently it was a most unpleasant set. Unfortunately the chemistry was just not there for Astaire and Hutton.

The movie is just mediocre, even for Astaire, but I always liked that western number, "Oh, Them Dudes".

As always, Astaire's Musicals are written by the very best - - the composer for Let's Dance is Frank Loesser. Not a household name, but his most popular Broadway musical is very well known, Guys and Dolls.

A musical that I remember enjoying is There's Magic in Music (aka The Hard-Boiled Canary). Susanna Foster plays Toodles LaVerne, a reform school kid who goes to music camp. I haven't seen it in years, but I have fond memories of it.

Just noticed that there's a poor segmented version on YouTube.

35m-4236_eae5d535-ebb0-4a58-8e86-0cb1171

• Like 2

A musical that I remember enjoying is There's Magic in Music (aka The Hard-Boiled Canary). Susanna Foster plays Toodles LaVerne, a reform school kid who goes to music camp. I haven't seen it in years, but I have fond memories of it.

Just noticed that there's a poor segmented version on YouTube.

35m-4236_eae5d535-ebb0-4a58-8e86-0cb1171

Andrew L. Stone made quite a name for himself at MGM.

Who could forget "Julie" or "Cry Terror"?

• Like 1