papyrusbeetle

"Lord Peter Wimsey" on the little screen - your fave?

4 posts in this topic

I have been crazy about this guy for so many years.

And, of course, the big frog in this pond is Ian Carmichael.(NINE TAILORS, MURDER MUST ADVERTISE, etc. etc.)

(And for fans of his, he gives a NAKED performance in I'M ALL RIGHT, JACK, a Peter Sellers film.

He's also mentioned - obliquely - in the terrific Stephen King story "Apt Pupil.")

But Edward Petherbridge is darned good in the Dorothy Sayers mysteries series that came later - STRONG POISON, HAVE HIS CARCASE, GAUDY NIGHT.

These are the romantic stories, and he is darned cool. His "Bunter" (Richard Morant) is also great.

Who are your faves, TCM people?

• Like 2

I have been crazy about this guy for so many years.

And, of course, the big frog in this pond is Ian Carmichael.(NINE TAILORS, MURDER MUST ADVERTISE, etc. etc.)

(And for fans of his, he gives a NAKED performance in I'M ALL RIGHT, JACK, a Peter Sellers film.

He's also mentioned - obliquely - in the terrific Stephen King story "Apt Pupil.")

But Edward Petherbridge is darned good in the Dorothy Sayers mysteries series that came later - STRONG POISON, HAVE HIS CARCASE, GAUDY NIGHT.

These are the romantic stories, and he is darned cool. His "Bunter" (Richard Morant) is also great.

Who are your faves, TCM people?

I agree with you. 

Ian Carmichael is always good. I guess I remember "The Nine Tailors" best, so that must have been one of my faves. I love I'm All Right Jack, Heavens Above, Lucky Jim, and The Amorous Mr. Prawn. TCM should feature him in a series.

I've seen Petherbridge on stage many times, he's an amazing actor there as well. Regarding Richard Morant, I remember him best as the bully Flashman, in the BBC Tom Brown's Schooldays (1971).

• Like 1

I admit that I'm not really a fan of the Lord Peter novels, mostly because of the extreme emphasis on the Peter-Harriet relationship.

Still, I would like to see some of the adaptations. Something tells me that they're better than the novels! 

Some of her short stories (without Lord Peter) are quite creative. I especially like one involving cats, and another one involving a mansion & fountain. (The latter is also a radio play.)