Sign in to follow this  
Moviebuffer12

The funniest Drama you have ever seen.

37 posts in this topic

The Apartment--Wilder injected a lot of comedy into it.

Same thing with Terms of Endearment and Steel Magnolias (what is about Shirley Maclaine?)

IT's a little different, but movies with a serious setting that are funny are interesting. Like A Foreign Affair (the Allied occupation of Germany) M*A*S*H* (field hospital during the Korean War) Good Morning Vietnam (Vietnam War) 

220px-Fountainheadmp.jpg

I think The Fountainhead is a great choice if the topic is a drama that is funny but wasn't intented to be funny.   (but it appears most post at this forum are sticking with a drama that just has funny scenes and moments).

The trailer for KISS THEM FOR ME (1957) would lead one to believe it was a comedy -- more or less.  I'd have to classify it as a 'Comedy-Drama'.  There's plenty of material in the movie not played for laughs, to be sure.  Leif Erickson is not a comedy character.

That 1946 movie with Lucille Ball and John Hodiak 'TWO SMART PEOPLE' is supposed to be a comedy.  Huh?  I know TCM has aired it; I think it's a lot more 'Drama' than 'Comedy'. 

That 1946 movie with Lucille Ball and John Hodiak 'TWO SMART PEOPLE' is supposed to be a comedy.  Huh?  I know TCM has aired it; I think it's a lot more 'Drama' than 'Comedy'. 

I don't think it was ever intended as a comedy. It's because Lucy became famous for comedy after she made this film that when it was broadcast on television, it was promoted as a comedy. It's actually a noir-influenced mystery drama. And it's quite good. She made a bunch of noir at this time, including THE DARK CORNER and LURED.

The Woman in The Window, when Edward G. kept making suspicious remarks about the murder left and right. He couldn't have stuck his foot in it any worse even if it were a parody!

(Not sure if others will see this one, but I have to say...) Last time I watched the opening diner scene from The Killers I imagined the thugs as Abbott & Costello. Made me wish they'd parodied it, but once again, wouldn't hardly have to change a thing.

• Like 1

The Woman in The Window, when Edward G. kept making suspicious remarks about the murder left and right. He couldn't have stuck his foot in it any worse even if it were a parody!

(Not sure if others will see this one, but I have to say...) Last time I watched the opening diner scene from The Killers I imagined the thugs as Abbott & Costello. Made me wish they'd parodied it, but once again, wouldn't hardly have to change a thing.

You got guts mentioning the iconic opening scene from The Killers.   But yea,  I can see Abbott & Costello doing that scene with only a few minor changes and it would be a riot.    But hey,  Woody Allen took the iconic ending scene of Casablanca and made it funny.  Much of the dialog of Casablanca is over the top lines no one would ever really say e.g. hill of beans???    This is what makes the film so great since it all ends up working anyhow.

• Like 1

I kind of feel this way about Robinson's turn as a desperate man with backwoods secrets in THE RED HOUSE. Sometimes I think he is lapsing into an overwrought performance but pulling himself back just in time so that it's not a full parody. Is he brilliant? Or is he unintentionally straddling the line between serious drama and silliness? Either way, he's an entertaining actor.

And he sort of does this as Johnny Rocco in KEY LARGO, too.

I'm a sucker for the overwrought melodramas produced during the 1950s--mostly because of this very thing.  These films are so overdramatic and so over the top that they crack me up.  Add in the intense film scores and the big gestures and you've got a ridiculously cheesy and entertaining film.

A Summer Place is a film that fits this very description and one that I enjoy watching just because it's so over the top.  This film has everything: teenage love, adultery, a rich score, a bigoted parent who will do everything to keep her daughter "chaste," an alcoholic father, a doormat father, teen pregnancy, underage marriage--everything I love in a melodrama.  

I'm a sucker for the overwrought melodramas produced during the 1950s--mostly because of this very thing.  These films are so overdramatic and so over the top that they crack me up.  Add in the intense film scores and the big gestures and you've got a ridiculously cheesy and entertaining film.

A Summer Place is a film that fits this very description and one that I enjoy watching just because it's so over the top.  This film has everything: teenage love, adultery, a rich score, a bigoted parent who will do everything to keep her daughter "chaste," an alcoholic father, a doormat father, teen pregnancy, underage marriage--everything I love in a melodrama.  

Sorry, I don't think I agree with that...to me, a film about a girl struggling with pregnancy is not funny, even if the performances are slightly overwrought. 

Stage Door (1937) is one that has both comedy and drama. The beginning is filled with wise cracks by Lucille Ball, Ginger Rogers, and Eve Arden (and the other girls). It stays like this for around the first 15 minutes, and then levels out a bit, and changes to drama when the Footlights Club (theatrical boarding house for girls) suffers a tragedy. When I first watched it, it was a little confusing for me to figure out what genre it was, but I guess it works. I don't know if this really answers the thread, but this was one dramatic film that has elements of comedy (at least in the beginning of it, I thought it was going to be hilarious). It's a great film, though. I would recommend it to anyone.