Sign in to follow this  
LizzieLou1

Norma Shearer

55 posts in this topic

While I enjoy The Women Shearer overacting in the ending scene always makes me laugh out loud. Shearer walks down a hallway looking off into the distance (supposedly towards her husband) and holds her hands out in front of her as if holding a head of cabbage. As she gets closer to the screen her hands gesture as if grabbing the air. Silly and terribly over dramatic, that how Shearer strikes me in most of her films.

Over dramatic works great with an undercurrent of darkness or nastiness like Bette Davis or Gloria Swanson, but just comes off silly when the charactor is sweet and beyond perfect like Shearer.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> Last year on TCM I saw her in a film in which she had on no makeup and her hair was up in curlers during the first 10 or so minutes of the film. I didnt recognize her. I thought it was some maid.

>

> The girl was so plain and simple looking, but she looked a little familiar. Finally, she divorced her husband and turned up in Europe as Norma Shearer. I was amazed. She was a very plain looking girl without the makeup.

Could that have been *Idiot's Delight* ?

Shearer wasn't what you'd call a traditional beauty because she had her flaws, like the wandering eye that is carefully disguised in her films. But she was a convincing enough actress that she had glamour written all over her. I watched *Smilin' Through* the other day and it was very good. It always tickles me to see Fredric March looking so young and Leslie Howard, in the flashback scene with Moonyean (weird name), was so playful--you rarely see him like that. He was a little less successful in playing an old man but it worked because his part was basically a supporting one. I think I've seen all of Shearer's films post silent era but only one of her silents. She's a fascinating actress.

Message was edited by: helenbaby

There were several good performances in that film by actresses playing a certain type of character. I for one wait for Paulette Goddard to make her appearance int he second half of the movie.

But Virginia Weidler crying in the closet over her parents' divorce is literally unbearable for me to watch.

Actressy Norma will be showing up in some upcoming Robert Montgomery films, and in ninety minutes...she'll appear in "Riptide." Over-dramatic or hammy is of no consequence to me. I still love the Queen of 1930's M-G-M.

> {quote:title=helenbaby wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> > Last year on TCM I saw her in a film in which she had on no makeup and her hair was up in curlers during the first 10 or so minutes of the film. I didnt recognize her. I thought it was some maid.

> >

> > The girl was so plain and simple looking, but she looked a little familiar. Finally, she divorced her husband and turned up in Europe as Norma Shearer. I was amazed. She was a very plain looking girl without the makeup.

>

> Could that have been *Idiot's Delight* ?

>

> Shearer wasn't what you'd call a traditional beauty because she had her flaws, like the wandering eye that is carefully disguised in her films. But she was a convincing enough actress that she had glamour written all over her. I watched *Smilin' Through* the other day and it was very good. It always tickles me to see Fredric March looking so young and Leslie Howard, in the flashback scene with Moonyean (weird name), was so playful--you rarely see him like that. He was a little less successful in playing an old man but it worked because his part was basically a supporting one. I think I've seen all of Shearer's films post silent era but only one of her silents. She's a fascinating actress.

>

> Message was edited by: helenbaby

The film Fred mentions is "*Let Us Be Gay*" (1930), a mildly enoyable drama. "*Strangers May Kiss*" (1931) is my favorite Pre-Code with Norma. "*Riptide*" (1934) has an amusing opening scene with the stars dressed as bugs for a costume party.

Norma was an actress towards I was drawn to, before having ever watched her on screen. Just what I read about her immediately attracted me. It's true sometimes her mannerisms and over-dramatics (like for example in "*Strange Interlude*" (1932) are a bit annoying), but there's no denying of her charisma, class and special beauty.

And in her best roles she's very effective: "*Strangers May Kiss*", "*Private Lives*", "*Barretts of Wimpole Street*" and "*Smilin' Through*", among others.

> {quote:title=feaito wrote:}{quote}

> "*Riptide*" (1934) has an amusing opening scene with the stars dressed as bugs for a costume party.

>

I just recorded that the other day, and I haven't had a chance to sit down and watch it from beginning to end, but I did see most of that opening scene and I thought those costumes were just FANTASTIC!

Well, Holly, my goodness, there are only three pages! I went back to check, and there was no picture posted that even came close, so I will attempt to satisfy your request.

Here are four full face Hurrell photos. Are any of these that of which you speak?

1114_0862.jpg

Annex20-20Shearer20Norma20Riptide_0.jpg

Norma_Shearer_George_Hurrell_292.jpg

shearer-sm.jpg

> {quote:title=ArmandDuval wrote:}{quote}

> Well, Holly, my goodness, there are only three pages! I went back to check, and there was no picture posted that even came close, so I will attempt to satisfy your request.

>

> Here are four full face Hurrell photos. Are any of these that of which you speak?

Well, it was Asco who first mentioned the photo, so I'm not sure which one is supposed to be the one. She looks so beautiful in all of those... :x

Well, that's what I get for not answering the right person. So, you don't know which picture he is talking about either? Ha! Well, I guess it could be any one of those, or none. Personally, I think she looks best in the third one down.

It's so hard to choose! They all look great to me. It was hard to make Norma look bad, although I think there was a certain angle from which she sometimes looked slightly cross-eyed. But nearly all of the time, she looked simply _marvelous_ !

Yes, it is almost sad, but she was no dumby. She saw the writting on the wall just like Garbo, and Crawford. Greta just walked away with no plans; Joan was devastated to the point of changing studios, scrutinizing her future, and making the BEST career choice since Lana went BLONDE. She won an Oscar and stayed in pictures forever. Norma went the way of Garbo, but she didn't hide away. She was very much in the public and had a new romance! As they say, always leave them wanting MORE!

It is always so much fun to see her visiting stars on the sets of their movies in the Forties and Fifties. Norma was always a main attraction.

I've been watching 'classic' movies for as long as I've been able to watch TV and there was even a channel back in the day that showed Classic movies all summer long and somehow Norma Shearer escaped my knowledge for the longest time. Flipping to TCM one day I saw part of a silent movie and there was Norma Shearer and then I was spellbound. I found out who it was and since then every Norma Shearer movie has been a great treat. Well I saw The Women last night on TCM and it was just great. A great great movie, Norma as beautiful and wonderful as could be and Joan Crawford was just stunning as well, and Paulette Goddard - wow, what a lineup. I'm glad that there is still a place to see these great shows.

Hi, gadlaw, welcome to the forums! :)

It's good that you finally learned about Norma Shearer, she played a large part in MGM's history because not only was she one of their biggest stars, but she was also the wife of the studio's legendary producer, Irving Thalberg.

Everyone - don't forget to watch/record The Divorcee, if you haven't already, today at 9:15am ET.

Norma Shearer co-stars with Clark Gable in two of the movies on his day of SUTS today:

*Strange Interlude* (1932) 6am ET

A doctor's daughter defies convention in her fight for love and her child.

Cast: Norma Shearer, Clark Gable, Alexander Kirkland, Ralph Morgan Dir: Robert Z. Leonard BW-109 mins, TV-PG

*Idiot's Delight* (1939) 3pm ET

A hoofer and a fake Russian countess are caught behind enemy lines at the outbreak of World War II.

Cast: Norma Shearer, Clark Gable, Edward Arnold, Charles Coburn Dir: Clarence Brown BW-110 mins, TV-G

I cant wait for Idiot's Delight at 3PM. I missed it last month as part of the 1939 tribute and am so happy it is being played again. Norma Shearer is pretty fascinating in every film I've ever seen her in, so I am pretty hopeful about this one!

I had wrote in the Gable thread in General Discussions that He was funny, Shearer was memorable as a fake countess, and the two endings were both superb. A real good movie.