Sign in to follow this  
LizzieLou1

Norma Shearer

55 posts in this topic

I really enjoy Norma Shearer - her hairdos were so great. Loved her in "The Divorcee". And that one with Clark Gable was great also. Anyone ever see Barbara Stanwyck in "Baby Doll"? That's coming up in January .. she's from the slums, goes to NY & sleeps her way to the top. It's sooo great. Comments? Feedback? Am new here; joined tonight. Lizzie

Welcome aboard Lizzie.

I think you mean BABY FACE, with Barbara Stanwyck. I saw it awhile back on TCM and it was good. It was a riot seeing John Wayne in a small part.

Rich

Welcome to the boards, Lizzie. Glad to have you with us.

Norma Shearer was a wonderful, talented and sophisticated actress. There wasn't a role that she couldn't play, and pull it off with such ease. I've seen a lot of her films and have enjoyed every one of them. She really was a great lady.

As for the Barbara Stanwyck film, I really liked it. She was perfect for the part, I don't think anyone else could have done it better.

Oh, please help me out here! I clicked on "Welcome, Lizzielou1" & managed to find my way to you but don't know if I'll find you again. Can you please help me. What are the steps to doing this. I want to be part of the Message Board so much but am lost as to what to do.

The Stanwyck movie was "Baby Face" as the other person mentioned. It'll be on in January of '08. Write soon.

It's 11:21 a.m. here in Minnesota.

Rick .. Thanks for responding! I asked Lauren07 to help me out w/the Msg Board; I don't know the steps & will probably lose you. You're right - it was "Baby Face". Have you seen "Sunset"; it's a silent movie & amazing. There are scenes in it that you could swear you were at the Mall of America in Minneapolis, MN. That's where I'm from .. Minnesnowta.

Lauren07 ... I found you again. You must work during the day? I'll ask you what I asked Rick too ... have you ever seen "Sunset"; it's a silent movie that's so wonderful & believe the first movie to receive an academy award. TCM's has only had it on one time to my knowledge. :( I wished I knew what I was doing; things would be so much easier. Write when you can. LizzieLou1

Do you mean SUNRISE? That was a silent movie which won the Academy Award for Janet Gaynor. It was a very beautiful film.,

Sorry about the Rick .. it's Rich. Do you want any feedback on "Sunset" or have you seen it. Also, I've these two books .. "Cinema - The First Hundred Years" & "Hollywood - A Celebration". The "Cinema ..." starts out with 2/1/1893 .. Thomas Alva Edison completed the first motion picture studio; a hut on a pivot that could be rotated to follow the sun. A year later 7/7/1984, he took a copyright for the very first film - a short entitled "Fred Ott's Sneeze". Anyway, a little trivia here.

You're here! I'm all over the place. Yes, I meant "Sunrise" ... you did see it then. If you remember, there were hardly any subtitles but the body language & facial expressions said it all. Do you remember the scene where they were "in the City" & at a restaurant? Right behind them was a ferris wheel, et al. That whole scene looked exactly like our Mall of America, which has an amusement park right in the middle of the Mall. And that movie was old! And to have that in it was crazy to see.

>Oh, please help me out here! I clicked on "Welcome, Lizzielou1" & managed to find my way to you but don't know if I'll find you again.

You can start a Word document or a Notebook document and save some of the details about how to get here. You can right-click on a post or thread, then click on "properties", to get the url address for the thread. See if you can turn that into a hot link in a Word document, then you can click on it and go right to the thread.

On the Main TCM website, click on "Message Boards" (see the list at the top of the TCM main page) to get to the main list of all the topics and threads.

Coming up on _Tuesday, February 10!_

*Romeo And Juliet* (1936)

Shakespeare's classic tale of young lovers from feuding families. Cast: Norma Shearer, Leslie Howard, John Barrymore. Dir: George Cukor. BW-125 mins, TV-G, CC, DVS

Romeo_juliet_movieposter.jpg

_On February 14:_

*The Divorcee* (1930)

The double standard destroys a liberal couple's marriage. Cast: Norma Shearer, Chester Morris, Robert Montgomery. Dir: Robert Z. Leonard. BW-82 mins, TV-G, CC

_On February 18:_

*A Free Soul* (1931)

A hard-drinking lawyer's daughter falls for one of his underworld clients. Cast: Lionel Barrymore, Norma Shearer, Clark Gable. Dir: Clarence Brown. BW-94 mins, TV-G, CC

Last year on TCM I saw her in a film in which she had on no makeup and her hair was up in curlers during the first 10 or so minutes of the film. I didn?t recognize her. I thought it was some maid.

The girl was so plain and simple looking, but she looked a little familiar. Finally, she divorced her husband and turned up in Europe as Norma Shearer. I was amazed. She was a very plain looking girl without the makeup.

Ah, the glamour of Hollywood. I imagine many an actress looked "plain" without Max Factor! In fact, I see many a woman everyday and think to myself, "What Max could do with you!" Well, you have to give credit to Norma. Not many actress of the Golden Age would have been caught dead without their "look."

on the schedule for april 13 is one of the norma shearer movies i've never had a chance to watch, it's called 'escape' and was directd by mervyn leroy. the cast looks really good, it has shearrer, robert taylor, and conrad veitd, and nazimova and bonita granville.

frk43.jpg

Coming up this Thursday..

*Smilin' Through* (1932)

A young woman falls in love with the son of an old family enemy.

Cast: Norma Shearer, Fredric March, Leslie Howard, O. P. Heggie Dir: Sidney Franklin BW-98 mins, TV-G

*Women, The* (1939)

A happily married woman lets her catty friends talk her into divorce when her husband strays.

Cast: Norma Shearer, Joan Crawford, Rosalind Russell, Mary Boland Dir: George Cukor BW-133 mins, TV-PG

Theresa, If you liked "*Portrait of Jennie*" (1948) which is my favorite film of all-time, you will like "*Smilin' Through*". Norma's very good in it and it is better than the 1941 Remake with Jeanette MacDonald, although it has fine touches by director Frank Borzage, one of my very favorite directors.

For people who liked "*Smilin' Through*" I recommend "*I'll Never Forget You*" (1951) starring Ty Power and Ann Blyth (a Remake of Leslie Howard's "*Berkeley Square*" which I have never seen), "*Somewehere in Time*" (1980), "*Peter Ibbetson*" (1935) and "*The Ghost and Mrs. Muir*" (1947), all good and excellent fantasy films.

I think Roz Russell is the only one that really shines in "The Women". It was a very important film for her, in that she showed the world she could excel in comic roles.

I think Roz Russell is the only one that really shines in "The Women". It was a very important film for her, in that she showed the world she could excel in comic roles.

Oh, I think Roz is excellent in The Women, no doubt there!

As for the Norma movies they showed the other day, I'm very happy to have recorded Shinin' Through, because previously I only had the Jeanette MacDonald version.