Swithin

God's Own Country

28 posts in this topic

The first time I saw him was in 2014, in a play called Versailles, at the Donmar Warehouse in London. He was brilliant. In an odd way, the character bore some similarity to his character in God's Own Country. Totally different background/class/setting: the character was an upper middle class bloke who could not express his recent experiences in World War I. It was a beautiful, heartbreaking performance, in a supporting role.

Here's a quote from one of the reviews:

"...we sense the sacrifice she is making in calling off her engagement to the nice but dim officer Hugh, wonderfully played by Josh O’Connor. For Mabel, given the man shortage, there may be a lifetime with no husband. Equally Hugh faces alone a changing world for which he is ill-equipped."

aa85f9a37a5023ea5540af11a205cdf9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Swithin said:

The first time I saw him was in 2014, in a play called Versailles, at the Donmar Warehouse in London. He was brilliant. In an odd way, the character bore some similarity to his character in God's Own Country. Totally different background/class/setting: the character was an upper middle class bloke who could not express his recent experiences in World War I. It was a beautiful, heartbreaking performance, in a supporting role.

Here's a quote from one of the reviews:

"...we sense the sacrifice she is making in calling off her engagement to the nice but dim officer Hugh, wonderfully played by Josh O’Connor. For Mabel, given the man shortage, there may be a lifetime with no husband. Equally Hugh faces alone a changing world for which he is ill-equipped."

aa85f9a37a5023ea5540af11a205cdf9.jpg

Is it available in playscript form?

I'd love to read it.

(ebay is offering an autographed photo for $59.05.)

13 minutes ago, rayban said:

Is it available in playscript form?

I'd love to read it.

(ebay is offering an autographed photo for $59.05.)

I'm  not sure if it was published. It has a strong gay theme, although Josh O'Connor is not part of that segment of the narrative. Peter Gill has written many plays with gay themes. I saw a reading of Certain Young Men last summer -- it was great.

https://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/shows/lgbt-reading-certain-young-men

• Like 1