Sign in to follow this  
dshoffmann78

Your best recommends

9 posts in this topic

Hey everybody! I think it would be interesting to hear what your best "recommends" are. What I mean by that is the classic films that you would recommend to your non-classic film friends who seem to express a little interest in your classic film collection. For example, I would probably recommend Dinner at Eight before I would recommend The Women because I think it has more to offer a variety of viewers, a more diverse cast and overall, a better chance of winning over a potentially critical viewer. So what are your top recommends in any of the following categories you'd care to share: crime dramas, women's dramas or romance, zany comedy, romantic comedy, war movies, westerns, action/adventure etc. I think this is an interesting topic because it's easy for film buffs to totally overshoot the interests of novice film-watchers by introducing our latest favorite as the best thing ever, forgetting that some tastes are acquired, or at least developed. Thanks in advance for any replies!

I never recommend just any classic to a non-classic movie lover. As you said, for many people it is an acquired taste, and it's good to start them off with sure-fire titles like "Casablanca." It would have to be a movie that people in today's society can relate to, like "The Philadelphia Story," for instance. That movie has a great cast, great acting, and a great story that most people can relate to - basically a romantic triangle. Honestly I wouldn't recommend "Dinner at Eight," even though I love that movie, simply because it is very dated, and it is a little slow moving, and someone who isn't used to seeing a 30's movie might get bored very quickly, in spite of how great we all know it is. Unfortunately, many people today won't even pay attention to a black and white movie, regardless of how great the acting, direction, story, or anything else is. I tried to get one of my friends to watch "The Maltese Falcon," and he couldn't get into it, and that movie keeps me on the edge of my seat. I've found it hard to introduce some people to the classics - at least some people. One way to get someone really interested in a classic is to take them to a theater to see one. In most cities there are classics shown once in awhile by some museum, or cultural institution. A theater atmosphere is the best way to get really involved in a movie. I remember the first time I saw "Vertigo" was in a theater, and it blew me away. If I had seen it on a T.V. screen, I don't think the impact would've been as great.

Hitchcock seems like the best bet for introducing someone--fast moving and relatively not dated. I've heard uninitiated people say they loved Rear Window. However, I've also gotten someone to watch Notorious and they complained it lacked suspense.

Marx brothers might be good too.

You really have to know what the person already likes and ease them into it based on that.

I would recommend IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT,with Claudette Colbert, and Clark Gable, ALL ABOUT EVE, with Bette Davis, NOW VOYGER is great, but a lot men probably wouldn't like. It is a chick movie, but its wonderful. THE EGG & I is great. I think the problem with the classic black & white movies is that the take a while for the stories to start to develop, and today most movies start out with explosions and shooting, and body parts flying. Most people are used to instant gratification, and they get bored too quickly. My daughter alway thought that if a movie was black & white it couldn't be any good. Then one day I was watching THE BARRETTS OF WIMPOLE STREET. She fell in love with that movie.

Her favorite movie is PRIDE AND PREJUDICE. Did I spell that right? There are so many treasures and so much wonder, and excitment in the old movies. Ok I have to vaccum now. Bye

I'd have to agree with many of these. It Happened One Night sparked my love of classics. Many people I know who have only slight interest in the classics have a love of the previously mentioned Marx Brothers and Hitchcock films (Incidentally, I saw Vertigo in the theater recently, and it truly was an experience, especially when Kim Novak introduced it in person). My friend became a fan of Humphrey Bogart by watching Play It Again, Sam, then feeling an obligation to see Casablanca. To add to the list, I would also say some of the Billy Wilder and Chaplin films that I became obsessed with as a novice classics fan: Some Like It Hot, The Apartment, Double Indemnity, Modern Times (After I recommended my friend this one, he told me: "I never thought a film this old could be so funny.), and The Great Dictator.

Here's my list - it's pretty all inclusive (at least for me).

Favorite Comedies: The Awful Truth, Topper, Bringing Up Baby, Twentieth Century, Duck Soup, A Night at the Opera, The Women, Animal Crackers, Some Like it Hot, It's a Gift, Arsenic and Old Lace, Harvey, Adam's Rib, The Bank Dick, The Apartment, Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, City Lights, Steamboat Bill Jr., Stage Door, Trouble in Paradise, Auntie Mame, His Girl Friday, The Thin Man, Born Yesterday (1950), Dinner at Eight (1933), My Man Godfrey (1936), The Miracle of Morgan's Creek, The Lady Eve, The Man on the Flying Trapeze, Monkey Business (1952), Modern Times, The Great Dictator, A Shot in the Dark, Safety Last, It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, The Baker's Wife, Monsieur Verdoux, Libeled Lady, A Letter To Three Wives, Ninotchka, That Darn Cat! (1965), Miracle on 34th Street, If I Had a Million, Bombshell.

Favorite Dramas: Citizen Kane, Greed (1925), A Man for All Seasons, All About Eve, Gone With the Wind, Sunset Boulevard, That Hamilton Woman, The Seventh Seal, On the Waterfront, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Suddenly Last Summer, Othello (1965), Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, Lolita (1962), To Kill a Mockingbird, Pandora's Box, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Grand Hotel, The Last Laugh, Mildred Pierce, The Little Foxes, These Three, Persona, Rashomon, The Good Earth, Room at the Top, Cries and Whispers, The Wind (1928), History is Made at Night, The Barretts of Wimpole Street, Imitation of Life (1959), Smilin' Through (1932), The Heiress, The Story of Temple Drake, The Marrying Kind.

Favorite Musicals: 42nd Street, Gold Diggers of 1933, The Wizard of Oz (1939), Guys and Dolls, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, A Star is Born (1954), Singin in the Rain, On the Town, Love Me Tonight, The Unsinkable Molly Brown, Les Girls, Meet Me in St. Louis, Easter Parade, Top Hat, The Gay Divorcee, Carefree.

Favorite Horror / Suspense Flicks: Double Indemnity, The Maltese Falcon, Psycho (1960), North by Northwest, Vertigo, Rear Window (1954), Shadow of a Doubt, Dead of Night (1945), Strangers on a Train, Witness for the Prosecution (1957), The Night of the Hunter, Diabolique (1955), Peeping Tom, The Collector, The Innocents, Village of the Damned, Wait Until Dark, The Uninvited, The Third Man, The Lady From Shanghai, Touch of Evil, The 39 Steps (1935), The Bride of Frankenstein, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, Nightmare Alley, Stray Dog, So Long at the Fair, The Cat and the Canary (1939), Gaslight (1944), The Lady Vanishes (1938), The Suspect (1944), The Bad Seed (1956), "M".

Favorite Action / Adventures and Sci Fi: Casablanca, The Adventures of Robin Hood, Ben-Hur (1959), The Sea Hawk, Gunga Din, Only Angels Have Wings, Around the World in Eighty Days (1956), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Seven Samurai, The African Queen, Gun Crazy, In Search of the Castaways, Scarface: The Shame of a Nation, Metropolis, The Great Escape, Throne of Blood, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Captain Blood.

Favorite Westerns: Stagecoach (1939), Winchester '73, The Man from Laramie, The Naked Spur, El Dorado, Rio Bravo, High Noon, Three Godfathers, The Searchers, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, True Grit.

Favorite Bad Films: Plan 9 From Outer Space, Valley of the Dolls, Manos: The Hands of Fate, Maniac (1934), Reefer Madness, Bride of the Monster, Glen or Glenda?, The Thing With Two Heads, Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!, Boom!, The Girl From Chicago.

Capra, Hitchcock, or Sturges movies.

Grant, K.Hepburn, Stewart, Stanwyck, Rogers, Astaire, W.Powell, Loy, Dunne, and Tracy movies.

There are so many movies to start with but starting with the above bodies of work is a pretty good begiining.

Thanks for posting this list too! I'm always looking for new recommendations and there are several on your list in each category that are new to me. Of course, some of them will be hard to find:-(

Favorite Drama's/Film Noir Classics/Action/Thrillers

Citizen Kane, The Third Man, A Touch of Evil, Casablanca, To Kill A Mockingbird, Strangers on a Train, Dial M For Murder, Shadow of a Doubt, The Birds, Giant, Rebel Without a Cause, Bonnie & Clyde, Taking of Pelham 123, The Manchurian Candidate, Elmer Gantry, Bridge on the River Kwai, North by Northwest, Twelve Angry Men, Inherit The Wind

Favorite Comedies-

Arsenic and Old Lace, The Fortune Cookie, The Odd Couple,

You Can't Take It With You, The Thin Man

Favorite Musicals- The Music Man, Singing in The Rain, The Unsinkable Molly Brown, Oklahoma, Yankee Doodle Dandy,