davisdoll

Elvis Day-meh

5 posts in this topic

So TCM has Elvis Day every year- his birthday, anniversary of his death, and "...Under the Stars."

His best was the dramatic "Love Me Tender." How about showing it sometime? Even he hated the insipid musicals he was forced to do.

• Like 2

I second the motion.  Saw that Kissin' Cousins was on earlier today.  Cannot find a single redeeming quality in this mess of a motion picture.  From the awful musical numbers (and equally weak/sloppy choreography) to the dreadful exaggerated 'hillbilly' dialogue and usage, it smelled worse'n a 3 days dead possum.

I grew up in East Tennessee, and NO ONE says if'n.  Ever.  No one.

We didn't call the family patriarch "Pappy."  All the women aren't desperate to have "man critters" of their own, and there are no brown bears in the Smoky Mountains.

• Like 1

So TCM has Elvis Day every year- his birthday, anniversary of his death, and "...Under the Stars."

His best was the dramatic "Love Me Tender." How about showing it sometime? Even he hated the insipid musicals he was forced to do.

Most Elvis movies do indeed stink but Elvis was an adult.   He wasn't forced to do anything.   Even after he signed that initial contract with the Colonel,  he didn't have to resign another contract.    The basic reason Elvis did what he did was greed.  

• Like 1

"Viva Las Vegas" (1964) is watchable/listenable.  My favorite Elvis film is "Flaming Star" (1960)--my choice for his best film.  The director was Don Siegel.

• Like 1

"Viva Las Vegas" (1964) is watchable/listenable.  My favorite Elvis film is "Flaming Star" (1960)--my choice for his best film.  The director was Don Siegel.

My favorite Elvis film is King Creole but mainly because it is directed by Michael Curtiz and includes Carolyn Jones, Dean Jagger, Vic Morrow, and Walter Matthau.  But yea,  Elvis does some good acting in this gritty film.  

• Like 2