Sign in to follow this  
mattspease

Title for an old horror film

12 posts in this topic

So, about 10 to 15 years ago on TCM I saw an old 30's or 40's horror movie and have been trying to figure out the title ever since, so I could possibly find the movie.  It was about a man and woman who are in love, but the woman's father or uncle is jealous of them and orders his henchman to kill the man. The way I remember it, the father or uncle guy lives in a creepy tower like castle with a spiral stairway similar to the one's seen in Frankenstein and Dracula, and the man is attacked by the henchman and thrown from the castle (either roof or window, can't recall) and into the water surrounding the old place. The woman tries to confront her father or uncle about the disappearance of her boyfriend on the stairway, but he hypnotizes her to forget about him and stay there with him. The boyfriend doesn't die though and floats down a river (or something) and is found by a male gypsy who nurses him back to health.  After he gets well, he seeks revenge and returns to the castle to confront the evil father or uncle.

Can anyone help me identify this film?

Can anyone else help, I really want to see this film again, it was introduced back when I watched it by the late great Robert Osborne?

I'm supposedly one of the horror "experts" around here, and yet I can't think of it. I tried researching it, but couldn't find anything to match up with it. You can't recall any more details? Any cast members or character peculiarities? 

I'm supposedly one of the horror "experts" around here, and yet I can't think of it. I tried researching it, but couldn't find anything to match up with it. You can't recall any more details? Any cast members or character peculiarities? 

From the description, it doesn't sound like a horror movie, which may be throwing us off.

Maybe it's a gay-themed film, and the male gypsy nurse and the boyfriend go off into the sunset.

• Like 1

I guess it was more a drama film, but it still had that old school Universal horror movie feel to it.  But no, the gypsy only nurses him back to health and then helps him get back to the old guys castle/tower for his revenge... the guy ends up with his girl in the end.

Well I looked up Corman's filmography & read every synopsis for titles I didn't recognise. It's not an AIP.

I bet you are correct it's a Universal movie-they are tight with distribution and consistantly re-used their own sets.

Can anyone help?  This aired back in the Cable TV age on TCM, so I couldn't just click on a menu to check and find out what the films was titled like in the DirectTV age we live in now... and I didn't think the movie was going to be so good otherwise I'd have recorded it on my VCR.