Sign in to follow this  
TikiSoo

Any Love For Ann Margaret?

16 posts in this topic

Was just looking through the "behind the scenes" photos on TCMDB and saw my fave Ann Margaret. Her autobiography is fascinating, she showed immense talent at a very young age. By time she showed up in Hollywood, she was a seasoned performer.

I am mesmerized by her in every performance, although my least favorite is in BYE BYE BIRDIE, most likely due to the heavy handed directing.

She is just a natural beauty in every way, as if her inner beauty shines through her eyes. She sings and dances very well and is a good enough actress. I wonder why she wasn't in more films?

There is only room for 3 original movie posters in my living room and this is one of them:

s-l1000.jpg

Even as a kid, her appearance on the Flintstones was something special for me:

84769-flintstones-ann-margrock-presents-

Anyone else share my joy in A-M?

• Like 9

That Kitten with a Whip poster is one of my favorites. I had a small 8 x 10 version of it up in my first apartment many years ago. I've always thought she was one of the most beautiful women in movies.

Somewhere around my house I also have photos of Ann-Margret on a USO tour in South Korea during the Vietnam war era. I had a relative, since passed, who was stationed there. He said the guys were much happier with Ann visiting than if Bob Hope had come. The photos show her walking around with the troops, talking and touring the base, with no "movie-star attitude". She later put on her stage show for them that night. 

• Like 3

First saw Kitten With A Whip many years ago and really enjoyed it.  Wish TCM would show it.

Then again, she was also excellent in Grumpy Old Men and Grumpier Old Men and so many years between the roles.

Always found it amusing that she was really overshadowing Elvis in Viva Las Vegas, until Col. Parker stepped in and had her role and on camera appearances reduced.

Was just looking through the "behind the scenes" photos on TCMDB and saw my fave Ann Margaret. Her autobiography is fascinating, she showed immense talent at a very young age. By time she showed up in Hollywood, she was a seasoned performer.

I am mesmerized by her in every performance, although my least favorite is in BYE BYE BIRDIE, most likely due to the heavy handed directing.

She is just a natural beauty in every way, as if her inner beauty shines through her eyes. She sings and dances very well and is a good enough actress. I wonder why she wasn't in more films?

There is only room for 3 original movie posters in my living room and this is one of them:

s-l1000.jpg

Even as a kid, her appearance on the Flintstones was something special for me:

84769-flintstones-ann-margrock-presents-

Anyone else share my joy in A-M?

Great post Tiki   :)

Ann-Margaret appeared in 2 episodes of Ray Donovan in 2014. She looked fantastic, she was 73 at the time. It was so much fun seeing her in the 2 episodes, although they were sad and dramatic episodes, she was still sexy and her performance was wonderful.  Mad Men did an episode showing Ann in Bye Bye Birdie. the men in the episode watching her pretty much summed up how men felt about Ann-Margaret at that time and they were mesmerized by her, not so much the women though.

It's funny, when I was a teen I didn't care that much for her, I thought that overly sexy opening and closing of Ann singing Bye Bye Birdie in the film was over the top and a little embarassing. Although, my sister and I both had the exact  outfit Ann-Margaret wore during the I've Got A Lot of Living To Do routine in Bye, Bye Birdie. The ruffled hot pink crop top and the tight hot pink stretch pants. Dressing like that was very much in at the time. I may have thought that Ann-Margaret may have been a little over the top at that time   but now I love watching her in the film and thought she was great.

I really enjoy watching Ann- Margaret and I have a lot of respect for her talent, her beauty and so much admiration for the way she took care and stayed with Roger Smith during his long illness. No scandal attached to her, she even refused to confirm her affair with Elvis not wanting to hurt Priscilla Presley. 

Ann-Margaret by all accounts is not just a great beauty but a lovely woman as well.

• Like 6

Growing up I always wanted to be a dancer and I couldn't remember or think of anyone except Ann-Margret who was truly in the movies and making money doing that sort of thing in the early sixties.

Bye Bye Birdie was an event for me. I'd read all the publicity in the movie mags and I had the record. To actually sit in the movie theater and see her dancing toward me really was so exciting.

Oona White's choreography showed off Ann-Margret's skill and Charisma as a dancer. Dick Van Dyke and Janet Leigh also danced well in this movie. Oona had done the Academy award-winning Music Man a few years before. At this point we thought musicals would go on forever, but this was nearly the end-- we just didn't know it.

Ann-Margaret went on to do Viva Las Vegas and previously she had done Rodgers and Hammerstein's State Fair, but I think it was so sad that the musicals petered out before she really reached her peak.

And people always say this about performers. And yet, it's really true that

Ann- Margaret Olson is one of a kind.

BTW-- I had one of those ruffled little pink tops too.( Did they only come in one color?) The only reason I remember is because somebody took a picture of me in it. I believe it was 1964.

Oona White's choreography showed off Ann-Margret's skill and Charisma as a dancer. Dick Van Dyke and Janet Leigh also danced well in this movie. 

BTW-- I had one of those ruffled little pink tops too.( Did they only come in one color?) The only reason I remember is because somebody took a picture of me in it. I believe it was 1964.

Heehee, me too. My Mother was in the fashion industry at that time and typically I'd have a cute ruffled crop set with side zip long cuffed shorts in several colors. I know, I still have them! I have a closet full of circa 1967 haute couture & smart casual a la Laura Petrie! 

I had forgotten A-M was in GRUMPY OLD MEN, a movie I've only recently discovered. Glad there's others who are smitten with the kitten.

Princess, besides the pink, I also had the top in lilac -but did you have the stretch pants  also ? I had the exact outfit Ann-Margaret wore in Bye, Bye Birdie. Yes it was around 1964. We also wore the shirtwaist dresses Ann and Janet wore in the movie.

Tiki- Love Grumpy Old Men and Grumpier Old Men. so glad that the 2 films were made., Jack, Walter, Ann-Margaret, Sophia and Burgess Meredith, what a great cast. Two really fun films.

Would love to see Ann-Margaret have a sit down with Ben. She must have many interesting stories to tell about George Burns (he discovered Ann) working with Bette Davis, etc.

Tiki, yes, I share your joy of Ann-Margret.    

Love her work in all of the movies everyone has already mentioned here.

In addition, she was a terrific Blanche DuBois in the 1984 TV version of "A Streetcar Named Desire", opposite Treat Williams.

treat.jpg

Also enjoyed her role as the scheming daughter-in-law of Claudette Colbert in the TV mini-series "The Two Mrs. Grenvilles".

87tvguide2.jpg

And her excellent performance as a conflicted mother, co-starring with Julie Andrews, in the TV movie "Our Sons".

Ann-Margret%2Band%2BJule%2BAndrews%2BOur

What a versatile talent, she can do it all!

I love Ann-Margret aka Ann-Margrock! 

She's so much fun in Bye Bye Birdie.  I love her dance in "Got A Lot of Livin' to Do."  And I also love her scene in the beginning of the film when she's dressing down.  She's so good at playing adorable but also sexy at the same time. 

I also love Viva Las Vegas and it's mostly because of Ann.  If it were just another Elvis movie, it probably wouldn't be as good, as Ann and Elvis have such amazing chemistry. It's just a fun film to watch.

I also think she was really great as Roger Daltrey's mother in Tommy.  Her baked bean scene is truly something to behold.  

I'll admit though, that my first exposure to Ann was as Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau's sexy neighbor in Grumpy Old Men.  I have probably seen Grumpy Old Men and Grumpier Old Men at least two dozen times, if not more.  It's one of my family's annual Christmas movies.  And when we watch Grumpy Old Men, we end up having to watch Grumpier Old Men too.  This film is so funny and so much fun.  

I've also seen her in Carnal Knowledge and Made in Paris. 

Kitten With a Whip is one of her films I'd really like to see.  I have The Pleasure Seekers on my DVR.

• Like 2

The Pleasure Seekers was on Fox Movie Channel this morning.  It shows up there fairly regularly - and without commercials.  Very enjoyable movie and has a good cast.  AM is the lead and probably the best in it.  

Based on the book, Coins in the Fountain, upon which Three Coins in the Fountain was based as well.

• Like 1

I'm a big fan too. I'm an avid golfer and we came up with a phrase to use when someone attempts a very long putt (from 20 feet or more) that just veers out of the cup by a fraction at the end. It's called an Ann Margaret because "it looked good for a long time"!

• Like 4

Received a music catalog yesterday and they have a CD of three of her albums from the 50's or 60's.  Don't actually remember her being on the radio back then, but who knows.

I thought Ann-Margret was terrific in CARNAL KNOWLEDGE.  "I Got a Lot of Living To Do" ( BYE BYE BIRDIE) is one of my favorite song and dance numbers of all time.  When Barbara Stanwyck won her Emmy for THE THORN BIRDS, she praised Ann's performance in WHO WILL LOVE MY CHILDREN? (they were both nominated that year for Lead Actress).  Pretty cool.

I think I'd already seen her in A Pocketful of Miracles, but my first big memory of Ann-Margret was of her singing the title song from Bachelor in Paradise on the Academy Awards. It was Annie in all her immodest glory, the sexpot supreme. I've looked for it on YouTube and elsewhere; I have yet to see it again, but it's still seared into my memory after all these years. It was such a stunning debut that I'm sure it's what solidified her career in Hollywood. What was most amazing about her was that she could pull off both the good girl and the bad girl roles equally convincingly. I mean, who else could do that? I'm especially fond of State Fair. People make a big deal of what she and Elvis did in Viva Las Vegas (rightly so), but what she brought out of squeaky-clean Pat Boone in State Fair was off-the-charts steamy. (The scene with shirtless Pat and Annie clinching in the open window? Whew!)

I still have my VHS copy of A Streetcar Named Desire; I haven't had a VCR in years but I can't bear to get rid of the tape.