Sign in to follow this  
JulieNewYork

Hitchcock's later color films were terrible

51 posts in this topic

JulieNewYork, I TOTALLY AGREE!

Early b&w Hitchcock is sensational Hitchcock. Give me THE 39 STEPS & NOTORIOUS anytime and anyday.

Also enjoyed YOUNG AND INNOCENT, REBECCA, SUSPICION, FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT & STRANGERS ON A TRAIN.

The only color Hitchcock I like is THE BIRDS.

Yep, VERTIGO & REAR WINDOW bored me to tears:( It's like Hitchcock traded in his "early" creativity, grabbed the money and ran.

Have always been a fan of Hitch's movies,True a few color films of his weren't the greatest,But the man was a master behind the Camera.And the Birds is a favorite of mine

For me, it doesn't matter if it is black & white or color, if I like it, I like it..if not, if not...

I prefer to watch Rear Window over Stage Fright, Vertigo over The Lady Vanishes and the Birds over I, Confess anytime anyplace anywhere

On the flip side

I will take Suspicion over Sabetour , The Wrong Man over Marnie, Psycho over Rope

Strangers on a Train over Dial M for Murder...

I havent seen Mr & Mrs Smith, Family Plot, Trouble With Harry yet, but most have told me I wouldnt be into them anyway..

It depends on the movie not the color...or B&W

I have to say that I disagree, at least concerning NORTH BY NORTHWEST, VERTIGO, & REAR WINDOW. Those IMHO, are the best of Hitch's later movies.

I have to add, that MARNIE is also one of his best later films too. THE BIRDS was great too, in MHO.

Message was edited by: MonaK

Message was edited by: MonaK

"I have to say that I disagree, at least concerning NORTH BY NORTHWEST, VERTIGO, & REAR WINDOW. Those IMHO, are the best of Hitch's later movies.I agree as well about those movies being"

I totally agree with this myself..damn good movies !! :)

As most of you know, "Pyscho" was shot in B & W to save money- they didn't anticipate it doing quite so well. "Vertigo" and "The Birds", for some reason, wind down much more poorly than they build up. I don't think it has as much to do w/ the type of film they were shot in, however. There's no real logical place to end "The Birds".

" The Birds" has an ambiguous ending- we are never sure if the attack was a local event or if the entire world has been affected. There was an original ending which followed the survivors all the way to San Francisco- it was even story boarded but it was never shot. The only Hitchcock color films that is truly terrible is " Topaz" ( but even in the worse Hitchcock there is at least one memorable scene)

"Rear Window", "North by Northwest" are two perfect films. "Vertigo" is one of the most beautiful and haunting films ever made by anyone. " To Catch A Thief", "The Trouble With Harry" and "Family Plot" might be lightweight Hitchcock but they are still very entertaining. Hitchcock weakest color films are " Torn Curtain" and " Topaz".

I just watched Family Plot---great movie...I think the subject on this isn't substantial..

Hitchcock's color movies were not terrible , at least IMO and I can see others here as well..

Hitch was a great director and I like the majority of his movies :)

Funny.....I had more or less thought Hitch went with color because it was "coming around",so to speak. Never really thought of his films that way. Pretty interesting topic, whether I agree or not.

Hitchcock's career starts at the end of the silent era, goes through the birth of sound, and he used every technical innovation- color, wide screen, even 3 - D.

Joe said "He used every technical innovation- color, wide screen, even 3 - D."

I agree. I actually had a small "**** for tat" message board correspondence here about 6 mos ago. Some posters were saying that "the greats" wouldn't have used cheap tricks like Comp. Graphics if they were around today. Hitch was mentioned. I disagreed, saying I thought Hitch would use any advantage to tell his story.

I really am not one to say weather any of Hitches films were bad or good, I have seen several but it was many years ago, however, the discussion about special effects and gimmicks....; Hitches or any directors use of gimmicks or special effects is in theory to move the story along , to help tell the story. In the end, the basic story is all that matters, if the story's no good, all the gimmicks and special effects in the world won't save it from itself, that goes for any movie..

I hadn't checked my email for several days. When I did this morning I had about 6 emails from tcm.com.

I have never posted an opinion on ANY web site before. I had NO idea that one person's opinion would cause so much fervor. Oh, what fun!

Some of you seem to take your classic films VERY seriously. But that's okay.

I did know that my dislike for films like North By Northwest were unpopular. For a start, I happen to think that Cary Grant (whom I adore) gives a stiff, false, asexual performance. There is not an ounce of chemistry between him and Eva Marie Saint. I blame Hitchcock's direction for that.

Think of the love scenes in the film: Grant appears to be forcing himself to touch her tenderly. He can barely put his arms around her naturally. And no, I don't think it's because he's supposed to be suspicious of her.

There's a love scene inside the train, in Eva's room. They are supposed to be embracing in a small space. Several of the shots are VERY obviously cheated. I've always thought this was real amateur stuff for the likes of Hitch. And it **** me off that he understimated his audience's level of sophistication.

I have a lot more to say about this topic, but not the time right now.

So there!

Completely false..Cary Grant asexual in North by Northwest ?? LOL he wanted to sleep with the Eva the minute he saw her, he wasn't forcing himself to be **** for her..there was more than just one ounce of chemistry, good grief what are smoking ? LOL ! Are you even watching North by Northwest or is it just on while doing house chores or something ?

Sorry to be blunt, but your comment about this movie is really dumb

Message was edited by: dsclassic

Message was edited by: dsclassic

Its just a matter of opinion. I do like 1940s films better. But I think 1950s films are great too.

I am one of the few people who love Hitchcock's Under Capricorn. I think it is one of his finest films and one of the best films ever made. But that is just my opinion. I am sure lot of People will disagree with me.

Hitchcock disliked working on Torn Curtain and Topaz. Hitchcock's original ending for Torn Curtain was never used. So Hitchcock removed some of the brilliant scenes like Gromek's brother from the film.

According to Donald Spoto's book "The Art of Alfred Hitchcock: Fifty Years Of His Motion Pictures", Universal Pictures executives forced Topaz on Alfred Hitchcock. And Hitchcock didn't get enough time to work on Topaz.

Message was edited by: konway87

Joe...DSC...don't. Don't do it. Don't fall into the trap. I did...and went off horribly on a Garbo thread becuz of idiotic statements by know-nothing posters who hide behind "it's my opinion" b.s. and lob stink bombs onto the TCM Message Board with mis-informed mis-information.

Forewarned is fore-armed.

Do not engage. Do not engage!

Dear CineMaven I understand your distress, but it is quite clear. The same people attacking the truly greats, here it goes again. Attack Garbo, attack Hitchcock who is next I wonder? This reminds me of a written comptetition I took once several years ago in English. The topic was something like "the overrated Shakespeare" . I have to admit I had a hard time writing down something since I found this very upseting. There was this unkown author who knew everything how "overrated" Shakespeare is, how "exaggerated" his prose is etc. Well, I could not tell you the name of the author today, but millions of people around the world worship Shakespeare's greatness. So people can attack Garbo, Davis, Hitchcock, Katharine Hepburn etc, that is fine, they will never diminish them.

True.. but we all fall down sooner or later. Orson Welles went from Citizen Kane to Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts in 30 odd years and Hitchcock went from Shadow of a Doubt to Frenzy

most of us are human