ClassicFilmMan

New Now Playing Newsletter Email

60 posts in this topic

TCM, which does a good job in most ways, is really falling down on the job with Now Playing.  The latest version -- August 2018 -- is a big disappointment.

I just looked at the August "Summer Under The Stars" schedule, and it appears that someone just added a few photos to a Microsoft Word list of movies and sent it out.  No formatting at all.  Here's what the first page looks like:

image.thumb.png.f5472e7782834f4550fc8add88d1efe9.png

I'm sorry, but this is pathetic. 

First, they discontinued the hard-copy Now Playing that many of us liked and relied on.  Then then refused to send out the email version of Now Playing before the first of the month, defeating those of us who want to plan our viewing ahead of time.  Moreover, they still can't seem to add many people to mailing list for Now Playing.

And now, the schedule for the grand and glorious "Summer Under The Stars" looks like something that someone threw together as they were rushing out the door to start their vacation.  (Not that I'm against anyone taking a well-deserved vacation.)  And there's no "calendar" format that summarizes the whole month -- none at all.  (Even for SUTS, the calendar would be a useful way to quickly see whose day it is.)

TCM, if you're going to force us to use the online version of Now Playing (and print out hard copies from it), how about making a little effort to make it look like a real program guide??

We all love TCM -- I'm not complaining about the programming.  I just want a decent schedule so that I can see what's coming up; remind myself about the basic plot, cast, and director of each film; and plan the movies that I want to see.  

Don't you get it, TCM -- you're making it difficult for your most fervent fans to watch your channel.  We want an easy-to-use program guide because we WANT to watch TCM.  Why are you making it difficult??

• Sad 1

I wrote to the TCM help desk and actually got a reply. I have been manually added to the list and should receive my first email on 8/15. I refuse to print the monthly guide, maybe because I don't have a printer. HA! Since TCM offers the daily schedule anyway, which is what I rely on, it is probably time to make improvements there.

For the monthly guide on this site, I might suggest being able to move the guide left and right, instead of a massive vertical movement, as we have now.

Same could apply to the daily/weekly guide. Make it move left to right and move the stuff currently on the right of the screen to the bottom, or are they afraid we will miss it?

All of the TCM site is difficult with my tablet. TCM should be thinking about that. A downloadable calendar file could be nice.

3 hours ago, jimmymac21 said:

All of the TCM site is difficult with my tablet. TCM should be thinking about that. A downloadable calendar file could be nice.

Can I interest you in a bottle of wine to go with that?  It's really good wine I hear. :D

1 hour ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Can I interest you in a bottle of wine to go with that?  It's really good wine I hear. :D

Yes, I live in Sonoma County. We are famous for high priced homes and magnificent wines.

Funny, I don't think any Linux Distros are named after wines, but there is a Black Lab Linux.

The TCM Wine Club includes wines from Lodi, CA. If you've ever been to Lodi, you would wonder.

Creedence Clearwater Revival was stuck there once.

To tie everything together, the FANTASY recording studio in Berkeley is closing in September.

23 hours ago, jimmymac21 said:

Yes, I live in Sonoma County. We are famous for high priced homes and magnificent wines.

Funny, I don't think any Linux Distros are named after wines, but there is a Black Lab Linux.

The TCM Wine Club includes wines from Lodi, CA. If you've ever been to Lodi, you would wonder.

Creedence Clearwater Revival was stuck there once.

To tie everything together, the FANTASY recording studio in Berkeley is closing in September.

That's something, that the recording studio was still open.

Back at you on the wine.  Ok just for you here is a giant diagram of all the known desktop Linux distros, as found on Wikipedia.  In true Wikipedia fashion, it is mostly just academic in nature and probably the only time anyone has ever compiled such a list.  They had it in SVG format, a vector graphics format.  This behaved a bit sluggish for me, so I converted it to a more standard JPG image. 

This link goes to the full-sized image.  You might want to save it first, and open it in a picture viewer, just so you can zoom in and actually read it.
http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/Linux_Distribution_Timeline.jpg

I also put up a reduced version, just for this thumbnail.  Almost the entire top half is the Debian tree of Linux distros.  That includes the Ubuntu tree (just to the right, within the Debian tree), and then eventually Linux Mint.  Linux Mint has two versions, the main version that is built from Ubuntu, and also Linux Mint Debian Edition which is built directly from Debian (for advanced users and more specific use-cases). 

Below that are some other trees, including Slackware, Red Hat, and Arch (from which Manjaro is built).  Then you see some straight lines, distros not related to any others.  These are mostly for specific purposes.  Puppy Linux is in there.  Finally at the very bottom is a small group of specialty Android distros intended for desktop use.

I don't think I see Astra Linux in there.  That is the Debian-based distro built specifically for the Russian military and intelligence agencies, and now the rest of the Russian govt is/will be replacing all their Windows desktops with.  I would too.

http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/Linux_Distribution_Timeline_small.jpg

Not shown are various Linux-based applications NOT intended for desktop computer or server use, as these tend to be proprietary and/or undisclosed (i.e. Android for smart phones, smart watches, tablets; Siri, Roku, Smart TVs, Cable and Satellite boxes, a bunch of that sort of junk and too many other things to mention here).

As a case in point, here is a diagram of how the Linux kernel is used with the Android operating system.
800px-Android-System-Architecture.svg.png

I saved both images. You are my Linux hero/guru. I first heard of Linux in something called Linspire. Most people would be shocked to know all the www stuff is so very Linux. The Internet, and as a result, this message board is Linux. I get a kick out of 'the man,' Linus Torvalds.

I am sort of looking at Pop!_OS by System76. I could delete Windows from my HD and put it back later. I am locked into Windows 10, so it can be put back. 

Naturally, there are apps that are only available in some operating systems. I do use the annoying iTunes and still run Winamp. I need something as simple as MS Paint.

CaveGirl ..... Honest, read this stuff before bed, and The Sandman will come. You may cry yourself to sleep, but at least it is sleep. If this gets too crazy, we can always move to Off Topic.

Thanks guys, MovieCollectorOH and limey. limey, you have that classic look in your avatar that I would get when I missed my bus by minutes. HEY!

14 hours ago, jimmymac21 said:

I saved both images. You are my Linux hero/guru. I first heard of Linux in something called Linspire. Most people would be shocked to know all the www stuff is so very Linux. The Internet, and as a result, this message board is Linux. I get a kick out of 'the man,' Linus Torvalds.

I am sort of looking at Pop!_OS by System76. I could delete Windows from my HD and put it back later. I am locked into Windows 10, so it can be put back. 

Naturally, there are apps that are only available in some operating systems. I do use the annoying iTunes and still run Winamp. I need something as simple as MS Paint.

CaveGirl ..... Honest, read this stuff before bed, and The Sandman will come. You may cry yourself to sleep, but at least it is sleep. If this gets too crazy, we can always move to Off Topic.

Thanks guys, MovieCollectorOH and limey. limey, you have that classic look in your avatar that I would get when I missed my bus by minutes. HEY!

Here's a link to a story about Torvalds' work space, in particular it references his "Zombie shuffling" desk. 
https://www.businessinsider.com/a-peek-at-linus-torvalds-little-desk-2015-2?r=UK&IR=T

It says he keeps at a pace of 1 MPH - it seems he has something like one of these:
http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/stand-up-walking-desk.jpg

24 minutes ago, jimmymac21 said:

The girl is way more attractive than Linus. His other desk is insane.

LOL  I couldn't care less about Linus' physique.  Well actually I take that back.  I wish him the best of health and many more productive years to come.  It is good to see he exercises.

On 8/5/2018 at 1:34 PM, MovieCollectorOH said:

LOL  I couldn't care less about Linus' physique.  Well actually I take that back.  I wish him the best of health and many more productive years to come.  It is good to see he exercises.

I think it would work even better if the feet were under water, just not the electronics. Then again, I happen to like that burnt electronics smell.