Sign in to follow this  
slaytonf

Why no Labor Day Movies?

94 posts in this topic

We get patriotic movies on Independence Day.  War movies on both Memorial, and Veteran's Days.  Christmas movies on--um--Christmas.  African American movies on Martin Luther King Day.  So why can't we be bored to exasperation with yearly repeats of movies celebrating workers and how they triumph over adversity and sadistic bosses?

• Like 1

In the old days, they were too busy showing telethons.

More to the point, do YOU want to watch "The Apartment" and "Working Girl" every year?...No??

I think to be fair, we should be equally tortured on Labor Day as on other national holidays.

I'll start off with:

The Devil and Miss Jones (1941)

Norma Rae (1979)

Salt of the Earth (1954)

• Like 4

In the old days, they were too busy showing telethons.

More to the point, do YOU want to watch "The Apartment" and "Working Girl" every year?...No??

Yeah.  And how many times can you watch PICNIC too?

And to add to SLAYTON's list, let's include METROPOLIS. 

And MODERN TIMES.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Our Daily Bread: We wanna work but can't find none

(Double feature with Grapes of Wrath)

Silkwood : This job is killing me.

Up in the Air: Your services are no longer required.

(See also The Prisoner of Second Avenue)

• Like 5

Just checked out tomorrows schedule and it's mostly pretty uninspired. And while I am absolutely in no way shape or form a fan of Jerry Lewis – I think it's very nice and appropriate that they're paying tribute to him tomorrow night.

...I'll be watching Investigation Discovery Channel

• Like 2

Just checked out tomorrows schedule and it's mostly pretty uninspired. And while I am absolutely in no way shape or form a fan of Jerry Lewis – I think it's very nice and appropriate that they're paying tribute to him tomorrow night.

...I'll be watching Investigation Discovery Channel

I agree with you, Lorna. The movies they're playing tomorrow are the same ones that are in rotation throughout the year. How many times is Giant played throughout the year? Exactly.

I'm not a fan of Jerry Lewis, either, (I'll take Dean Martin over Jerry Lewis anytime) but it's nice he's getting his tribute on the night his telethon used to be on.

Would be difficult to determine what a "Labor Day" movie is.  Many (most?) movies feature workers of some kind.

Labor Day was actually created to advance labor unions and the people who should be unionized. Also to advance the 8 hour day, 40 hour week, etc.

Perhaps a fitting movie day would be movies featuring labor's struggles, such as Norma Rae.

Ironically, most "laborers" have to work on Labor Day.

• Like 1

Would be difficult to determine what a "Labor Day" movie is.  Many (most?) movies feature workers of some kind.

Labor Day was actually created to advance labor unions and the people who should be unionized. Also to advance the 8 hour day, 40 hour week, etc.

Perhaps a fitting movie day would be movies featuring labor's struggles, such as Norma Rae.

Ironically, most "laborers" have to work on Labor Day.

The moves suggested earlier fill the bill (including Norma Rae, 1979)--or the bill I'd submit.  I'm not sure most laborers do work on Labor Day.  But I'm sure most don't get paid if they don't.

I liked TCM's annual salute to the Telluride Film Festival, which is held every Labor Day weekend in Telluride, Colorado. TCM's 24-hour tribute always featured an inspired selection of films that played at the fest, including "The Crying Game" and "Portrait of Jennie."

My favorite tribute began with a showing of "Russian Ark" (2002), which was set at the Winter Palace in 19th-century Russia. Director Alexander Sokurov is said to have shot it without any edits.

• Like 4

Also set predominantly in the workplace:

9 To 5

Car Wash

How to Succeed in Business

The Pajama Game: especially Seven and a Half Cents.....

Just yesterday Man in the Gray Flannel Suit aired, which revolves in large part around a career decision....

• Like 3

I liked TCM's annual salute to the Telluride Film Festival, which is held every Labor Day weekend in Telluride, Colorado. TCM's 24-hour tribute always featured an inspired selection of films that played at the fest, including "The Crying Game" and "Portrait of Jennie."

My favorite tribute began with a showing of "Russian Ark" (2002), which was set at the Winter Palace in 19th-century Russia. Director Alexander Sokurov is said to have shot it without any edits.

It's true, no edits in Russian Ark. The DVD I watched came with a feature that was very informative and explained Sokurov's camera work for the film. I recommend it.

• Like 2

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas!!!!!

Has TCM ever shown this?

Would've been a great chance for a premiere.

My thoughts exactly Lorna! I put it in my TCM Programming Challenge Schedule hoping that the actual programmers might end up perusing the forums and see our schedules. Here's hoping they show it sometime.

Harlan County USA (1976) Barbara Kopple's Oscar-winning doc on a very violent miner's strike in Kentucky

Seduction of Mimi (1972) Lina Wertmuller's brilliant comedic/tragic story of a fired mine worker who gets mixed up in politics and Mafiosi as he struggles to support his two families.

Both are great underdog movies, fighting against corporate indifference, but with completely different takes.

They'd also make a great Double Bill for another thread on that subject.

• Like 1

My thoughts exactly Lorna! I put it in my TCM Programming Challenge Schedule hoping that the actual programmers might end up perusing the forums and see our schedules. Here's hoping they show it sometime.

Well the programmers have one year to plan for next Labor Day and lease the films they don't have now.

The trailer said...One single continuous shot.  :huh:

It is claimed no editing at all?  Now c'mon, no actor / actress is THAT perfect. The director didn't yell CUT once?  Somebody is bragging.

Seen it before but forgot most of it.

Well the programmers have one year to plan for next Labor Day and lease the films they don't have now.

like I sad...

slackers!

the tcm wine club must be their single thought now. personally, I doan drink but I think I would like a carbonated raspberry sparkler.

:)

And to add to SLAYTON's list, let's include METROPOLIS. 

Only if it's the '84 Giorgio Moroder version. 

One of my top ten favorites, btw, no joke--I'll probably dig out my Blu-ray anyway, even though I second the choice of 9 to 5 instead, and I'm not sure whether to get the limited Blu of that tone.

Only if it's the '84 Giorgio Moroder version. 

One of my top ten favorites, btw, no joke--I'll probably dig out my Blu-ray anyway, even though I second the choice of 9 to 5 instead, and I'm not sure whether to get the limited Blu of that tone.

Not familiar with it.  But, if it follows the same storyline, then why not?

Sepiatone

On The Waterfront and The Crowd would be good choices, as well.

I may be in the minority, but I view On the Waterfront (1954) as anti-worker.

• Like 1