Sign in to follow this  
SHELDONJ

Guy Kibbee as Scattergood Baines needs airing - six films

13 posts in this topic

Need schedule a showing of all six Guy Kibbee films wherein he stars as character Scattergood Baines.  Not sure as to who owns the copyrights [if still valid] wherein originally produced by Pyramid Pictures and distributed by RKO, or even if materials are available.

1. Cinderella Swings It (1943) Played by Guy Kibbee
  2. Scattergood Survives a Murder (1942) Played by Guy Kibbee 
    ... aka "The Cat's Claw Murder Mystery" - USA (reissue title)
  3. Scattergood Rides High (1942) Played by Guy Kibbee
  4. Scattergood Meets Broadway (1941) Played by Guy Kibbee 
    ... aka "Blonde Menace" - USA (TV title)
  5. Scattergood Pulls the Strings (1941) Played by Guy Kibbee
  6. Scattergood Baines (1941) Played by Guy Kibbee

We all realize that black actor Willie Best is depicted as his employee wherein some believe that such is in the then Hollywood negative stereotypical characterization of Negroes, but such should be broadcast by TCM as a matter of historical film significance of all of the characterizations within the films.   And such Baines' films can have lead-ins by Ben Mankiewicz.  This all presumes that such film product exists, and, if so, is in good enough condition to be digitally up-converted to broadcast quality HD.

• Like 3

Huge TCM Ditto to everyone on all fronts.

I agree I don't think they've ever aired and would love to see them as well.

Guessing it's just that - either rights issues or lack of good source material.  I doubt no one has thought to look into it.

Seeing hard to find films like these is what TCM is all about!

Yancey

• Like 1

I enjoy Guy Kibbee, usually thinking of him as a sugar daddy in some of the Busby Berkley musicals. I never heard of the Scattergood Baines series. It would be a real coup for TCM if they were able to gain broadcast rights to the films.

There were actually some Scattergood Baines shorts filmed in the early 1920s, but it's probably safe to say we won't be seeing them anywhere.

I enjoy Guy Kibbee, usually thinking of him as a sugar daddy in some of the Busby Berkley musicals. I never heard of the Scattergood Baines series. It would be a real coup for TCM if they were able to gain broadcast rights to the films.

to me he is captain january...but yeah tcm should show those...as well as multitudes of other things that they do not care to show.

why? because they obviously doan care. slackers!

This still of "Scattergood" appears in the novel Scattergood Baines, by Clarence Budington Kelland, published in 1921. I believe this is actor William H. Brown, who played Scattergood in at least two shorts in the 1920s.

rNzwSpd.png

to me he is captain january...but yeah tcm should show those...as well as multitudes of other things that they do not care to show.

why? because they obviously doan care. slackers!

Kibbee also starred in "The Captain's Kid" (1936)  Unbelievable it's still not available on video  (not referring to Youtube).  Thanks TCM for that very rare presentation of it a few years ago, now have it on DVD.

hqdefault.jpg

Flattering way of billing him in the movie. :lol:

guy_kibbee.png

Note about "Captain January", in the silent version it's the child's name.

There are many serials that I have never seen from fine actors like Kibbee.  

E.g. James Gleason played the part of Inspector Piper in six films and Joe Higgins in many films made by Republic Pictures.

TCM:  please find these 'lost' serials and show them.

This still of "Scattergood" appears in the novel Scattergood Baines, by Clarence Budington Kelland, published in 1921. I believe this is actor William H. Brown, who played Scattergood in at least two shorts in the 1920s.

rNzwSpd.png

alec guinness with peter lorre's hair? :huh: