Sign in to follow this  
LawrenceA

Recently Watched SF & Fantasy

35 posts in this topic

On 9/29/2018 at 9:30 AM, jaragon said:

The dinosaur effects are cool and Chris Pratt is always fun but I did not like the script at all

I think the filmmakers didn’t want to tinker with the formula that worked before.  And as you point out, Chris Pratt’s star power makes up for any shortcomings.

the most recent SF film I've seen --and this, is testament to how few I regularly view--was at least four years ago when I chose to attend a classic screening of Jules Verne's "Journey to the Center of the Earth"  with James Mason. I was very pleased with the experience.

I was dubious at first, because SF is not my favorite genre at all... but I would take a gamble on seeing James Mason in any role. That's how much I trust his talent. Anyway I need not have worried, because it turned out to be smashing. I left the theater well-satisfied with my choice; I didn't see a single misstep, goof, groaner, or howler in the whole production. Snags, loopholes, and anachronisms really do bother the heck out of me. But there's nothing to complain about in this case.

Bosley Crowther of course, panned it. :huh:

But more displeasing to me, is when I glance at modern reviews of this flick and the reviewers say merely that 'the special fx are dated'. So stupid! It's a rousing flick, period. No ifs, ands, or buts. Compared to some POS remake with implausible-on-sight "Brandon --somebody"? A token pre-teen and a female lead you'd just as readily see consumed by a raptor?

The thing about the 1959 version is that it exudes charm and vigor and heart. No one says, "yo dude" as a line of dialog. So what if the monsters are terrarium geckos obviously matted in? Its solid storytelling.

Dir: Henry Levin; written by Charles Brackett.

journey-to-the-center-of-the-earth-1959.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2018 at 11:31 AM, Sgt_Markoff said:

the most recent SF film I've seen --and this, is testament to how few I regularly view--was at least four years ago when I chose to attend a classic screening of Jules Verne's "Journey to the Center of the Earth"  with James Mason. I was very pleased with the experience.

I was dubious at first, because SF is not my favorite genre at all... but I would take a gamble on seeing James Mason in any role. That's how much I trust his talent. Anyway I need not have worried, because it turned out to be smashing. I left the theater well-satisfied with my choice; I didn't see a single misstep, goof, groaner, or howler in the whole production. Snags, loopholes, and anachronisms really do bother the heck out of me. But there's nothing to complain about in this case.

Bosley Crowther of course, panned it. :huh:

But more displeasing to me, is when I glance at modern reviews of this flick and the reviewers say merely that 'the special fx are dated'. So stupid! It's a rousing flick, period. No ifs, ands, or buts. Compared to some POS remake with implausible-on-sight "Brandon --somebody"? A token pre-teen and a female lead you'd just as readily see consumed by a raptor?

The thing about the 1959 version is that it exudes charm and vigor and heart. No one says, "yo dude" as a line of dialog. So what if the monsters are terrarium geckos obviously matted in? Its solid storytelling.

Dir: Henry Levin; written by Charles Brackett.

One of my all time favorite science  fiction adventure movies. It's one of those rare movies that I loved as kid which still works.  The fx work is excellent even the lizards as dinosaurs.  The movie has a real sense of wonder and that awesome Bernard Herrman score.

• Like 1

Peter Fonda directed "Idaho Transfer" (1973) a low key science fiction movie about a group of young people who are involved in a time travel experiment which takes them to a desolate future Earth.  A young Keith Carradine plays one of time travelers. This is a film of it's time and the ending is truly bizarre.  You can see on You Tube.

• Thanks 1

So true.."sense of wonder" is paramount in films like these. There's no FX budget big enough to repair a flick which lacks it! :wacko:

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

So true.."sense of wonder" is paramount in films like these. There's no FX budget big enough to repair a flick which lacks it! :wacko:

I agree with you so many modern films over do the CGI fx but do not give the audience a chance to be enthralled by the fantasy they are watching.

I love the scene in Disney's " Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" where Nemo rams the Nautilus into the clipper ship; zooming right up to it and diving at the last moment to plow into the hull at an angle from below and rip it open. For my money, its one of the most amazing shots Disney ever did. You watch this take place from below--you can see the nose of the submarine slice the wood open and then the munitions inside explode. It's wild!

Who better than James Mason to bring that character to life.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2018 at 10:16 AM, Sgt_Markoff said:

I love the scene in Disney's " Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" where Nemo rams the Nautilus into the clipper ship; zooming right up to it and diving at the last moment to plow into the hull at an angle from below and rip it open. For my money, its one of the most amazing shots Disney ever did. You watch this take place from below--you can see the nose of the submarine slice the wood open and then the munitions inside explode. It's wild!

Who better than James Mason to bring that character to life.

Mason is Captain Nemo- the DVD edition had an excellent must see making of documentary; specially interesting is how they changed the attack of the giant squid from daylight to night time.

He sure is. Although there may have been some other actors who could've taken the role; there's no one I'd rather have seen do so. That cultured voice of his; his intensity; his work-ethic.

My favorite movie critic cried when Mason died and I don't blame him.

JJ Abrams"Super 8" (2011) Spielbergh inspired science fiction adventure about a group of kids making a super 8 monster movie  in 1978 and encountering the real thing.  I was a teen age super 8 movie maker and they got that part of the story just right- but the creature from outer space angle doesn't quite work.