Sign in to follow this  
Terrence1

"Kansas Raiders"

5 posts in this topic

I just finished watching this movie, which I expected to be just another Audie Murphy Western from Universal.  It was quite interesting, but the main attraction for me was to see so many actors at the very beginning of their careers.  Actors such as Richard Long, Tony Curtis, James Best, and Richard Egan.  It was fun to see them just as they were getting started with their careers.

• Like 3

Yes, it's a great film to see because they are all near the start of their screen careers. Long was perhaps the most "experienced" at this stage; he had already made some pictures at Universal in the late 40s, including THE EGG AND I and TAP ROOTS. 

At the present time KANSAS RAIDERS can be streamed on Amazon Prime.

screen-shot-2017-09-04-at-8-20-00-pm.png

• Like 2

TopBilled, you made a good point about Richard Long being the most experienced of the four actors I mentioned.  And of the four, he had the most important role, playing Frank James.   He didn't seem to age at all in his career.  He looks about the same in "Kansas Raiders" as he did over fifteen years later when he starred as Jarrod Barkley on the Big Valley.  I really miss him.

• Like 2

FYI-- Quantrill's Raid is alive and well- known in Lawrence, Kansas to this day. It became a part of their popular culture and is still a part of what they stand against. In Northeast Kansas we also call it the Lawrence Massacre.

A few years back they built a new high school and no one could agree on the name. So they had to go back to their past and say the only thing we could all agree on was "Free State ". You can Google it. It's probably one of the most unusual high school names in America.

The neighboring state, Missouri, was a slave state and they have an unbelievable popular cult over there for Jesse James. He's one of their biggest tourist attractions. Believe it or not.

• Like 3

Thanks for your input, Princess.  I feel that I've been given a history lesson!  I recall several movies dealing with Quantrill  and the massacre.

• Like 1