Sign in to follow this  
chaz45342

Now Playing Guide

9 posts in this topic

I'm really confused on the status of the TCM Now Playing  Guide.   I realize TCM has discontinued the print version as of this month, but I thought they would still be producing an electronic version.  I've signed up, at least 5 times, to receive this and have yet to see a September electronic version of Now playing.

If you click on "Magazine" at the top of their web page, a page still comes up that says "we want to ensure you that the new FREE email version with all of your favorite Now Playing features plus so much more".  But I've yet to see anything in my email (and I've checked my junk mail folder).

And if you go to the "Full TCM Schedule" page, there is a small block in the upper right that takes you to the current Now Playing  Guide.  But this is nothing more than a printable schedule of the programming for the month.  

What I am looking for specifically that I used to get out of Now Playing is the theme information - daytime and evening (evening themes are listed on the  website schedule page, but not daytime), TCM premier info, and articles on the month's programming.   That information doesn't seem to be available any more.

• Like 1

The newsletter that TCM sends contains a link to an 'At A Glance' section that is similar to what used to be in the Now Playing Guide.  It's essentially a small calendar with the daytime/primetime themes and primetime movie titles for each day.  However, TCM dropped the ball in the September newsletter and forgot to mark the premieres in the At A Glance section that was sent.

For those who have not received the September newsletter yet, I have created a rough equivalent of the 'At A Glance' section.  I also added the TCM premiere information to this version.  Click on the following link to see the section.  The page it brings up should also allow you to download the PDF file (button in upper-right corner).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cz1ig3vyhifjr34/SEP%20AT%20A%20GLANCE.pdf?dl=0

Some comments:
- TCM premieres are indicated with ‘(P)’ preceding the movie title.
- Thanks to MovieCollectorOH for the TCM premiere data.

For articles on this month's programming, I suggest you go to the TCM.com web page.  There you will find information on the Star of the Month, Treasures From the Disney Vault (on the 11th), Silent Sunday Nights, Noir Alley, TCM Imports, etc.

I do hope the newsletter issue is fixed soon.  I'm sure it's very frustrating to sign up and not receive anything.

• Like 2

Thank you to chaz45342 for bringing up the issue and to cmovieviewer--with an assist from MovieCollectorOH--for offering a pdf guide for themes, premieres, etc. for September's films on TCM.  I miss that information in printed format, a format which is much easier for me to routinely access and use.

Chaz45342, your experience is the same as my own.  After years of purchasing the Now Playing Guide, I signed up for the newsletter several times, checked my spam folders and emails, all to no avail.  

I haven't read older posts, so I don't know if cmovieviewer's guide was mentioned earlier.  Just want to say thank you for your posts, as I now have a guide that adds the extra details I'd relied on in the Now Playing Guide.   

• Like 1

Thank you to chaz45342 for bringing up the issue and to cmovieviewer--with an assist from MovieCollectorOH--for offering a pdf guide for themes, premieres, etc. for September's films on TCM.  I miss that information in printed format, a format which is much easier for me to routinely access and use.

Chaz45342, your experience is the same as my own.  After years of purchasing the Now Playing Guide, I signed up for the newsletter several times, checked my spam folders and emails, all to no avail.  

I haven't read older posts, so I don't know if cmovieviewer's guide was mentioned earlier.  Just want to say thank you for your posts, as I now have a guide that adds the extra details I'd relied on in the Now Playing Guide.   

Still have not received the NPG email.  Check spam before deleting.  I did do one thing though and that was to add tcm.com to my email lists.  I have two threads where I receive notifications of new posts and noticed they were going to spam, but now go to inbox.

That may help - IF TCM ever gets the system going.

• Like 1

I wanted to print the schedule and descriptions of the movies playing and it is 24 pages!!!! that's a lot of paper!!!!

Unless I can do them double sided.

It is still a lot of paper and ink.  Not the cost so much as the inconvenience of getting more paper and ink.

In a better world, TCM would design the printer version so that it would be the same type size as the defunct print NPG.  Also eliminate a lot of the "white space" in the printable version.

Did find out that my inexpensive Canon printer does do two sided if I select that.  Still a lot of paper and ink.