LawrenceA

Favorites and Other Lists & Musings

152 posts in this topic

TO ONLY LAWRENCE, what exactly are your personal top ten all-time favorite motion pictures by the way?

As I think I also told you over the yrs-used to be on these forums starting in 01 with a different handle & then approx. 250 posts) So I first still most important rank my files of everything cinema 1st & foremost,. still)

Started around 1979 at only age 15 also when THE GREAT TRACY became my #1 idol & hero &* fell IN LOVE with the movies, I wanted to know why the likes of CARSON=)by the way JOHNNY'S fav movie CASABLANCA), TOM SNYDER (REBECCA & again Spence was his hero & idol), , MERV GRIFFIN, MIKE DOUGLAS-(he really put the hook in me because & it was a given say as example HUMPHREY BOGART, CLARK GABLE, GARY COOPER & THE GREAT: SPENCER TRACY & in same order but with different stars of the Studio-System Era-(circa 1925-63) (approx. 35-38yrs it lasted.) Don't have to tell to folks the TRACY was his idol since childhood I reckon' do I  So, I immediately first at then young age why all these celebs & others called him that, or why KANE was constantly regarded as the finest ever produced & why GARB0 was constantly ranked as the greatest all-time actress, So I felt I should start studying them 1st & worked my was up to the present,etc & A QUESTION, IT IS IMPORTANT  HAS TO DO WITH YOUNGER SO CALLED MOVIEFANS-(that ok, not movie buffs) THAT ABOUT 95% OF THE TIME OR MORE SAY & WITHOUT PAUSE AN OLD CLASSIC OH, THAT WAS BEFORE MY TIME unquote? ESPECIALLY MILLENNIALS I AM RIGHT?  IN COMEDY CINEMA WE WENT FROM>  CHAPLIN, KEATON, MARX BROS, STAN & OLLIE, W.C. FIELDS, THREE STOOGES. A & C  TO  KEVIN HART, PAULY SHORE, JACK BLACK & AVID SPADE     SAME GIOES WITH MUSIC   I know I sound like an old man, but it's true        WHAT HAPPENED?

I have quite a few actors whose work I am trying to see all of. I keep the lists of actors' credits in two 3-ring binders - one with those that are deceased, and one with those who are still around. It wasn't intentionally morbid, but rather that those in the deceased binder would no longer need their credits lists updated, whereas I have to update the lists of those alive every few years as they appear in more things.

Since I first started tracking these specific stars (roughly 7 years ago), several people have died, starting with Peter O'Toole, followed by others including Christopher Lee, John Hurt, Harry Dean Stanton, Powers Boothe, Burt Reynolds, Albert Finney, as well as younger performers who died too soon, such as Philip Seymour Hoffman and Bill Paxton. The latest was Doris Day, which led me to wonder (rather morbidly) who in my lists will be next. This following is a list, arranged by age, of those actors and actresses whose work I am trying to see, who are 80 or older.

• Olivia de Havilland (102)
  • Kirk Douglas (102)
  • Max Von Sydow (90)
  • Clint Eastwood (89)
  • Gene Hackman (89)
  • Sean Connery (88)
  • Robert Duvall (88)
  • William Shatner (88)
  • Ian Holm (87)
  • Michael Caine (86)
  • Alan Arkin (85)
  • Jim Brown (83)