Sign in to follow this  
TheCid

Crime Wave on Wed, Sep. 13

23 posts in this topic

Starting at 6:00 AM, Wed. Sep 13,TCM will have 10 crime shows.  

6-Bunco Squad

7:15-Code Two

8:30-Sgt. Madden

10-Under Cover of Night

11:15-From Headquarters

12:30-The Racket

2:15-Bullets or Ballots

3:45-Borderline

5:30-Tear Gas Squad

6:30-The Beast of the City

Of the ones I have seen, Borderline is my favorite.  Another one of those light comedic mysteries with a touch of romance.  Stars Fred MacMurray, Claire Trevor and Raymond Burr.

I printed off a copy from the Monthly Schedule and this time it printed everything!  Still takes almost a page per day though.

• Like 2

6-Bunco Squad

10-Under Cover of Night

Of the ones I have seen, Borderline is my favorite.  Another one of those light comedic mysteries with a touch of romance.  Stars Fred MacMurray, Claire Trevor and Raymond Burr.

I printed off a copy from the Monthly Schedule and this time it printed everything!  Still takes almost a page per day though.

Nice to see TCM is showing the Universal film Borderline.  I have never seen this one and it has a fine cast.  

I enjoy The Racket;  Yea, not the best Mitchum noir (he is somewhat flat in this film),  but it does have noir icons Robert Ryan (who is great in the film),  and Liz Scott.

• Like 1

Nice to see TCM is showing the Universal film Borderline'  Have never seen this one and it has a fine cast.  

I enjoy The Racket;  Yea, not the best Mitchum noir (he is somewhat flat in this film),  but it does have noir icons Robert Ryan (who is great in the film),  and Liz Scott.

Spoiler alert!  One caution about Borderline, there is a scene where Trevor joins a group of female dancers and they sing.  The song is one that is so annoying, you remember it for days.  But it does have an great cast and the plot is fairly good.  Having seen Raymond Burr in Perry Mason series before seeing his movies, it is a little surprising.  He does PM very well, but then in his many bad guy roles he was also very convincing.

You are right about The Racket.  Mitchum is his usual laid back (perhaps too much) and lets Ryan take over the show.

6-Bunco Squad

10-Under Cover of Night

I have most of that schedule programmed to record (hopefully my cable will be intact by then!), as I've only seen The RacketBullets or Ballots, Borderline, and The Beast of the City.

• Like 1

Bunco Squad sounds like an interesting programmer. Producer Lewis Rachmil spent some time with spiritualists, palm readers, etc., before making the film. Dante, who was a famous magician at the time, appears as himself (a rare screen appearance ... I did see him in a Laurel and Hardy flick). Of course, how can we resist a flick with Ricardo Cortez as a sleazeball? This was his second-to-last film appearance.

Well, thanks to Irma will probably miss most, if not all, of them.  No damage to speak of, but lost power until 7:00 PM last night.  Spectrum cable is still out as of 10:00 this morning.  Agent says Spectrum "power plant" in my locality is out and they are last on list to get repairs.  Which is understandable.

Do have a TV with an antenna, so not too bad.

But dang, going to miss some good "B" crime movies!

• Like 2

Spoiler alert!  One caution about Borderline, there is a scene where Trevor joins a group of female dancers and they sing.  The song is one that is so annoying, you remember it for days.  But it does have an great cast and the plot is fairly good.  Having seen Raymond Burr in Perry Mason series before seeing his movies, it is a little surprising.  He does PM very well, but then in his many bad guy roles he was also very convincing.

You are right about The Racket.  Mitchum is his usual laid back (perhaps too much) and lets Ryan take over the show.

You might be right about Ryan taking over " The Racket" but then he always seemed to take over the movies he was in.  Love these 50's crime movies, the huge overcoats, the large hats and best of all " The Racket" has 2/5ths of Perry Mason, Lt. Cragg and Prosecuter Berger.  Where's Della?  

Also saw a great Nash.  I just love Nash's, especially Lois Lane's.  Anyway love this program of movies. 

• Like 3

Well, thanks to Irma will probably miss most, if not all, of them.  No damage to speak of, but lost power until 7:00 PM last night.  Spectrum cable is still out as of 10:00 this morning.  Agent says Spectrum "power plant" in my locality is out and they are last on list to get repairs.  Which is understandable.

Do have a TV with an antenna, so not too bad.

But dang, going to miss some good "B" crime movies!

Please stay safe and don't go on the roof to adjust the antenna.  I remember my dad "roofing" around adjusting the antenna and my Mom shouting out the window with directions...similar to her driving directions on our many 50's road trips

• Like 1

Please stay safe and don't go on the roof to adjust the antenna.  I remember my dad "roofing" around adjusting the antenna and my Mom shouting out the window with directions...similar to her driving directions on our many 50's road trips

I remember both of those situations.  My favorite from late 50's is when we would be in middle of nowhere at a stop sign and the old man would tell my mother "Move your bushy head so I can see if anything is coming."

Actually antenna is one of those new versions of rabbit ears and it sits on top of cabinet TV is in.  I get 2 of the regular local stations which is good for local news and weather, such as it is.  Then get most of the other over the air networks-Cozi, MeTV, GetTV, etc.

But, it ain't TCM.

• Like 1

I'm a fan of Beast of the City, an MGM crime drama every bit as hard boiled as those put out by Warners.

Jean Harlow gets to do a sexy dance that drives Wally Ford wild (a good pre code moment) and the film has an ending as violent as any done by the studios back then.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

WIsh I'd known this before today. Too late now. :(

Thanks to Irma I missed all of them. Cable is still out, but everything else is OK for me.  Not sure if it is lack of power to the Spectrum facility (doubt it) or downed cable lines.

Thanks to Irma I missed all of them. Cable is still out, but everything else is OK for me.  Not sure if it is lack of power to the Spectrum facility (doubt it) or downed cable lines.

That's good! (I mean that everything else is ok) Didnt realize you lived in FL. Guess we can both commiserate. I dont always check the schedule ahead of time. :(  How is Spectrum? I've been considering changing cable companies.........I've got stuff from them in the mail.

That's good! (I mean that everything else is ok) Didnt realize you lived in FL. Guess we can both commiserate. I dont always check the schedule ahead of time. :(  How is Spectrum? I've been considering changing cable companies.........I've got stuff from them in the mail.

Do either of you use Watch TCM?  I often use it to watch movies from TCM that I can't record or watch during their airing time.  In fact, I re-watched "Code 2" and "Cinderella Liberty".  Sure, it's not the same as watching a show on television, but my computer screen is big enough that it serves as a suitable substitute.

No, I keep forgetting about it. Where is it on the website? They only put certain films on there, right?

No, I keep forgetting about it. Where is it on the website? They only put certain films on there, right?

Go to "Watch TCM", then click "Movies on Demand".  Most (but not all) of what TCM airs is listed in alphabetical order, along with the dates available for re-viewing (usually a 5 to 7 day window of opportunity).  Look for your cable or satellite provider, then log in using the information you use to get on the Message Board here.  Also, in most cases, you will not see any commentary by the host (or guest) either before or after the film is shown, but each movie does have a "details" link where you can learn more about the movie you're interested in.  You don't even have to sign in to read the details about a picture or the comments that some people have left over the years.

Actually I'm in northwestern S.C.  Spectrum is the former Charter.  We like it.  Actually it is down right now, but that is a street problem. Big tree knocked down power, telephone and cable lines and they are still working on it.  People three blocks away do not have power yet.  Not sure why my ATT line works and cable doesn't but who knows where all the lines come from.

Several years ago I was having problems and the techs they sent couldn't reliably fix it, so I wrote a letter to the CEO in VA.  Got a call from an assistant who took charge.  Within a few days I had two supervisors and two techs in my den trying all kinds of things. Concluded I needed a new higher quality underground cable.  Within a week had that and new cables in the house.  No problems since.

Never completely lost cable, just some stations wouldn't come in or it would go out for a few minutes (near as I can remember).

Their phone call in system is way better than it used to be, except for now which is understandable.

Did learn one thing from a tech, the "new" box may actually be one that someone turned in or a reconditioned one.  But if it works, that is fine.

ATT which we use for phone and internet keeps making offers, but see no reason to change.

Like all providers, the bill will go up when the "deals" expire, but just call and ask for a new deal.  If that doesn't work, call and ask for a Retention agent/representative.  Will get a deal, but it will expire also.

Go to "Watch TCM", then click "Movies on Demand".  Most (but not all) of what TCM airs is listed in alphabetical order, along with the dates available for re-viewing (usually a 5 to 7 day window of opportunity).  Look for your cable or satellite provider, then log in using the information you use to get on the Message Board here.  Also, in most cases, you will not see any commentary by the host (or guest) either before or after the film is shown, but each movie does have a "details" link where you can learn more about the movie you're interested in.  You don't even have to sign in to read the details about a picture or the comments that some people have left over the years.

Doesn't work.  I tried that, but Spectrum requires that I input confidential information and sign up for their online service, which I do not want to do.  May try for telephone company, but I don't do online with them either.

OK tried from internet provider.  Pop up said they would automatically sign me in in the future (at TCM On Demand I guess).  Selected a movie (Beast of the City) and nothing.  Selected a clip from it and that played.  Then selected movie again and has been doing something for last few minutes, loading I guess.  Closed it down.

Not sure I want to watch a movie on my computer anyway.  Chair is not all that comfortable.

Thanks for the advice though.  Will try again later.

Yeah, I've tried it too, before and it didnt work. (I'd forgotten) Maybe my cable isnt TCM friendly? What does cable have to do with watching it online HERE on Tcm's site? I cant get any prompt for that!

Cid,

Thanks. I kept thinking Spectrum was a newer version of Warner for some reason. I'm having the same type of problem. Bad reception on a handful of stations. Sometimes, it's ok, other times torture to watch. They've been out twice now. Replaced the outside line, the basement box. The only thing left they said is the DVR. I dont think that's the problem and I dont want to lose all the stuff on there if that's not the problem. (this is my 3rd DVR box, and YES the boxes arent new, they just rework them. Probably why they never last!!!) I wouldnt mind if they were stations I seldom watch, but 2 of them are stations I OFTEN watch (MSNBC and DatelineID) Only started up a couple weeks ago. Find it hard to believe I could be the only one with this reception problem.

Sorry, I keep forgetting Irma affected nearby states. I'd forgotten you'd mentioned before you'd lived in S.C.

Yeah, I've tried it too, before and it didnt work. (I'd forgotten) Maybe my cable isnt TCM friendly? What does cable have to do with watching it online HERE on Tcm's site? I cant get any prompt for that!

I tried to register via my internet provider this morning and it seemed to accept it.   Just now I tried to watch a movie and got a pop-up saying not authorized, contact TV provider.  That means Spectrum which wants far too much information and creates an online account for me, which I do not want.

I agree, why do I need to utilize my TV provider to see something on the internet?

Apparently you can watch the clips without registering and logging in.

I guess part of it is a deal between TCM and TV provider so that TV provider will know you are watching something from TCM, but not on your TV service.

I tried to register via my internet provider this morning and it seemed to accept it.   Just now I tried to watch a movie and got a pop-up saying not authorized, contact TV provider.  That means Spectrum which wants far too much information and creates an online account for me, which I do not want.

I agree, why do I need to utilize my TV provider to see something on the internet?

Apparently you can watch the clips without registering and logging in.

I guess part of it is a deal between TCM and TV provider so that TV provider will know you are watching something from TCM, but not on your TV service.

Yeah, I've tried enough times now. And I dont want my (possibly soon to be ex-) cable provider to have an account for me. Too much work!

I used to have Charter, but it sold out to another company that catered to more small-town customers than Charter did.  Real shame too.  Charter was one of the best cable providers I've ever had.  My current company is OK, but it provides a lot of family-type and religious programming that I'm not really into.  But, I've got more channels now than I ever did with Charter, so I guess it's all good.  I just got CBS Sports Channel last month added to my system after hoping it would show up for several years.  That channel shows conference teams that ESPN and FOXSports don't usually cover in the regular season.

I don't know what kind of personal information a cable provider is looking for.  It's been so long since I first logged onto Watch TCM, that I'm not sure what they want past the basics (name, address, e-mail, phone, account # on your bill, etc.).  At least, that's what I recall having to provide when I first logged in.  Not only does this work for content on TCM, but it also works for Watch ESPN.  I use the same log-in name and password on that site that I use here.  Earlier this month, I watched the Iceland at Finland World Cup Qualifying soccer match (yeah, off the wall stuff, but hey---I like soccer and the World Cup).

I think since the content is being provided free of charge, various sites want to make sure that people viewing the content actually pay something​ through a satellite or cable company, rather than let just anyone log-in and watch something that lasts more than say, a half hour or hour show (like a program on a network).  My company has never called me or e-mailed me about any service since I signed up.  Any solicitation I get from them comes with my monthly bill (I never pay any bill on-line and my shopping on-line is practically non-existent).  Of course, I'm only referring to my cable company.  Charter or someone else could use the information you provide for other purposes of which we might not be aware.