Sign in to follow this  
NipkowDisc

why can't tcm do better for horror/sci-fi fans?

18 posts in this topic

they could show some of them K. Gordon Murray mexican horror curios like The Living Head and Curse of the Crying Woman. some of those films have terrific sets...

and tcm has yet to show The Flame Barrier about the downed satellite in the mexican jungle cave.

and as yet no Hot Spell which should be shown as it is just one of a handful of films starring Shirley Booth.

Also with Anthony Quinn, Earl Holliman, Shirley Maclaine and Eileen Heckart and tcm won't show it.

truly they are egregious film slackers disregarding and just plain ignoring so much of America's film legacy.

as to query in your title, I've wondered that also & can only unfortunately assume a lack of fans of the genres in programming and management.

(that could include animated features as well)

:(:unsure:

they could show some of them K. Gordon Murray mexican horror curios like The Living Head and Curse of the Crying Woman. some of those films have terrific sets...

truly they are egregious film slackers disregarding and just plain ignoring so much of America's film legacy.

Yyyyyy.....you mean "Mexico"'s, don't you?   <_<

Yyyyyy.....you mean "Mexico"'s, don't you?   <_<

LOL

Well, Mexico IS part of NORTH America anyway, ya know Eric.

(...so maybe THAT'S what ND meant there)

;)

as to query in your title, I've wondered that also & can only unfortunately assume a lack of fans of the genres in programming and management.

(that could include animated features as well)

:(:unsure:

I assume the programmers are aware of horror and sci-fi films and the reason TCM doesn't feature them much is that most of the films from the genre are stinkers (IMO):   Low budget,  poor acting and production values,   silly looking effects,   etc.....

The films TCM shows from those genres tend to be the hit-parade but they are also some of the better made films.    But last year didn't TCM feature a lot of Sci-fi films?      I recall seeing a lot of giant bugs done with stop-motion animation.

• Like 1

Well for real "sci-fi" and horror movies there is always Svengoolie.  And yes most of them are poorly done but you have to admire the effort at the time in as much as the artists and directors had to use their imagination and other skills.  Regardless of their weakness I much admire them over all these computer graphic films. 

• Like 1

why can't tcm do better for horror/sci-fi fans?

Why indeed. I agree they do a poor job of that particular genre.

I want them to show us 'Enemy from Space'  (1957)

and 'Frankenstein's Daughter'  (1958)

and 'The Colossus of New York'  (1958)

and 'The Unearthly'  (1957)

and ' The Astounding She-Monster'  (1957) 

and 'I Married a Monster from Outer Space'  (1958)

and 'The Werewolf'  (1956)

and 'Attack of the Giant Leeches'  (1959)

and 'Terror from the Year 5000'  (1958)

and 'Not of This Earth'  (1957)

and 'How to Make a Monster'  (1958)

and '4D Man'  (1959)

and 'The Crawling Eye'  (1958)

and 'Invasion of the Saucer Men'  (1957)

and 'The Creature Walks Among Us'  (1956)

and 'Horrors of the Black Museum'  (1959)

and 'The Space Children'  (1958)

and 'She Demons'  (1958)

and 'The Monolith Monsters'  (1957)

and 'Teenagers from Outer Space'  (1959)

and 'I Was a Teenage Frankenstein'  (1957) 

and 'I Was a Teenage Werewolf'  (1957)

and 'Fiend Without a Face'  (1958)

and 'The Hideous Sun Demon'  (1959)

And this is just the 50's - I haven't even looked at the 60's, 70's, 80's. If TCM has ever shown any of these, it must have been years ago. Some are very rarely seen and cost a lot to get a copy of.

Why indeed. I agree they do a poor job of that particular genre.

I want them to show us ...

Of course, if--unlike Nipsy--you picked Hammer and American Int'l titles owned by MGM, instead of Universal's cottage industry in 30's horror films and 50's B-movies, you both might have a valid question.

As it is, most of the Universal-owned titles either showed up on Sci-Fi Channel, back in the days when it was properly spelled, or found their way to the Universal-owned Sci-Fi years of MST3K.

Of course, if--unlike Nipsy--you picked Hammer and American Int'l titles owned by MGM, instead of Universal's cottage industry in 30's horror films and 50's B-movies, you both might have a valid question.

As it is, most of the Universal-owned titles either showed up on Sci-Fi Channel, back in the days when it was properly spelled, or found their way to the Universal-owned Sci-Fi years of MST3K.

Our question is invalid?

Our question is invalid?

I don't think so, and TCM's reasons might be manifold.  Availability of "watchable" copies, viewer interest( it's gonna take more than you and ND to sway 'em),  rights and all like that.

And I too, would be interested (and excellent list down there, DB) in them showing these movies possibly as Saturday afternoon features, like they did for the TARZAN movies a few years ago.  Or a Saturday night "Drive-In Movie" feature like (I think) ENCORE did some years back.

Sepiatone

I think TCM has done fairly well in the past on showing Sci-Fi.  It would be nice to see more or them and as has been suggested maybe have a block on Saturdays or late night.

Have been really disappointed in "Cult Favorites" on Saturdays.  Last Saturday I recorded two based on descriptions on Spectrum info and  TCM, only too find out they were animated and foreign language. Quickly deleted both.  I think lot of sci-fi movies used to show up on "Cult Favorites."

There are a lot of the sci-fi movies mentioned so far available on DVD and in DVD sets.  Some are quite reasonably priced.  While not free, you can watch them whenever you wish.

I don't think so, and TCM's reasons might be manifold.  Availability of "watchable" copies, viewer interest( it's gonna take more than you and ND to sway 'em),  rights and all like that.

And I too, would be interested (and excellent list down there, DB) in them showing these movies possibly as Saturday afternoon features, like they did for the TARZAN movies a few years ago.  Or a Saturday night "Drive-In Movie" feature like (I think) ENCORE did some years back.

Sepiatone

What a great idea Sepiatone, both the Saturday afternoon films and a "Drive-In Movie" feature.  The Saturday afternoon film could consist of a combination of both the horror and sci-fi films combined with Tarzan and B Westerns.   Remember when our parents would drop us of at the theatre for an afternoon of films, nicely done on wintry days and hot summer days when the theatres were "air cooled".  Same goes for a drive in feature...I'd love a box of popcorn and Licorice AllSorts for those events...don't forget my Coke (well Diet Coke now).

Let's all go to the lobby and lobby TCM for considering this idea. 

• Like 1

Our question is invalid?

It is more like the request is invalid because Universal and TCM have a long history of NOT making agreements related to the leasing of Universal films.     The same is true for 20th Century Fox films.

TCM tends to focus on films in the 'old' Turner Library which is mostly MGM,  Warner, and RKO films.  

E.g. I would like TCM to show more 50s Fox noir films.   

Of course we can ask, hope and some may even pray,  but the odds are against the request.

It is more like the request is invalid because Universal and TCM have a long history of NOT making agreements related to the leasing of Universal films.     The same is true for 20th Century Fox films.

TCM tends to focus on films in the 'old' Turner Library which is mostly MGM,  Warner, and RKO films.  

So learn to like Val Lewton, Nip--It's not Svengoolie material, but you'll be a better movie watcher for it.  :)

• Like 1

So learn to like Val Lewton, Nip--It's not Svengoolie material, but you'll be a better movie watcher for it.  

Not too condescending.

I'm pretty sure Nip already likes Val Lewton.

Why some seem to believe we're incorrect in some way to desire more variety in the programming of sci-fi/horror here at TCM is puzzling.

• Like 1

Why some seem to believe we're incorrect in some way to desire more variety in the programming of sci-fi/horror here at TCM is puzzling.

Well, y'see, not to get into ban-able discussions here, but it's not anybody asking, it's Nip:

He didn't really want to ask why TCM doesn't show horror, he just still had K. Gordon Murray's Mexican movies on his mind from his last post, and tried to make up a new thread to keep talking about it.  

We'd all moved on to other threads, y'see, so he had to make up a new one to "steer" us back onto his own brain synapse of the moment.

...Which reminds me, we haven't seen Spence post for a while, have we?

We'd all moved on to other threads, y'see, 

I'm not sure who "we'd all" includes, but I find it hard to believe that you ever really move on.

Sho' 'nuff.

But, you know DB, there are  those who think certain things should be arbitrarily limited.  Like Fred feeling NO movies made AFTER 1960 should be shown on TCM and like that.  MY only limit request would be regarding copies of movies that are watchable.  Not leaving the viewer with the feeling their eyes are going bad or their eyeglass perscriptions need renewing.

Sepiatone