Sign in to follow this  
Swithin

Ben Can't Pronounce English Names

26 posts in this topic

I rarely watch the intros and so have never weighed in on Ben's pronunciation issues, but I recorded Carry On Cabby and watched Ben mangle the name of the great Hattie Jacques.  He pronounced it Hattie JAX. The correct pronunciation is Hattie Jakes.

Matron would scold him for that!

8615-3005.gif

Hattie Jacques in Carry On Nurse

53c373a5586702eda7402ac817087625--on-the

Hattie Jacques in Carry On Cabby

• Like 2

Now WAIT one second here, Swithin!

I saw his intro TOO here, and while YOU might have thought Ben pronounced Hattie's last name that way, I'm PRETTY sure Ben DID in fact pronounce it JUST as you said it SHOULD be pronounced!

Ya see I think the problem here is that because of Ben's usual adenoidal and nasally tone, it just SOUNDED like he said "JAX", THAT'S all.

(...YOU know, like whenever he says the word "actor", but it comes out of his mouth, and yeah his nose, like he's saying "AACKtor")

LOL

Now WAIT one second here, Swithin!

I saw his intro TOO here, and while YOU might have thought Ben pronounced Hattie's last name that way, I'm PRETTY sure Ben DID in fact pronounce it JUST as you said it SHOULD be pronounced!

(...ya see I think the problem here is that because of Ben's adenoidal and nasally tone, it just SOUNDED like "JAX" to you, THAT'S all)

LOL

Just watched the intro again. He pronounced it JAX.  At least he got Sid James' name right!

Just watched the intro again. He pronounced it JAX.  At least he got Sid James' name right!

Okay, truth be known here amigo, I actually didn't see or hear Ben do this intro.

But, by now you HAVE to know that whenever these sort of threads are started about "Ben's pronunciations"...

(...well, YOU know) ;)

Ms. Jacques is a particular favorite of mine. I've passed her house many times. She lived in Eardley Crescent in London from 1945-1980. There is a blue commemorative plaque on the house. 

8d6ee9be-7bca-4f39-a1bd-8061fd6f358d_d.j

I've been coaching actors today -- rehearsal for a performance. Part of the job is to coach them so that they pronounce names and unfamiliar words in the script correctly. You need to do that when you go on stage or television.

Ms. Jacques is a particular favorite of mine. I've passed her house many times. She lived in Eardley Crescent in London from 1945-1980. There is a blue commemorative plaque on the house. 

I've been coaching actors today -- rehearsal for a performance. Part of the job is to coach them so that they pronounce names and unfamiliar words correctly. You need to do that when you go on stage or television!

Hey Swithin!

Didn't happen to use the ol' "Chester chooses chestnuts" or the ol' "Sinful Caesar" or even the ol' "Moses supposes" rote while coachin' those people today, did YA?!...

tumblr_oqvwvoOSQP1vehtqxo5_500.gif

;)

Hey Swithin!

Didn't happen to use the ol' "Chester chooses chestnuts" or the ol' "Sinful Caesar" or even the ol' "Moses supposes" rote while coachin' those people today, did YA?!...

No, just using our script at hand. 

Btw, Hattie Jacques This Is Your Life is on YouTube, for anyone who wants to hear her name pronounced correctly. Guests include Eric Sykes, Shirley Eaton, Leslie Phillips, Bernard Miles, Max Bygraves, etc.

No, just using our script at hand. 

Btw, Hattie Jacques This Is Your Life is on YouTube, for anyone who wants to hear her name pronounced correctly. Guests include Eric Sykes, Shirley Eaton, Leslie Phillips, Max Bygraves, etc.

Was this the British version of the T.V.  show (assuming there was one),  or the American version?     I ask because while Jacques was big in Britain she wasn't well known in the USA.    E.g. what films was she in that were released in theaters here in the USA?    Not many  that I could find.

Was this the British version of the T.V.  show (assuming there was one),  or the American version?     I ask because while Jacques was big in Britain she wasn't well known in the USA.    E.g. what films was she in that were released in theaters here in the USA?    Not many  that I could find.

That's the British version of This Is Your Life. I first became acquainted with Hattie Jacques when I was a kid. One of my local cinemas in the Bronx showed a double bill of Make Mine Mink and Carry On Nurse. Many of the Carry On films were released here, and Make Mine Mink certainly was. Hattie played Matron in five of the Carry On films.

Early on in her career, Ms. Jacques had a supporting role in Mother Riley Meets the Vampire, a film (with several alternate titles) starring, in addition to Old Mother Riley (Arthur Lucan), an impoverished Bela Lugosi, who needed the salary to pay for his fare back to the U.S. (or so it is said).

Hattie had a nice singing voice. Here she is singing the music hall favorite, "The Bird on Nellie's Hat."

Here's the fearless foursome in Make Mine Mink: Athene Seyler, Elspeth Duxbury, Hattie Jacques, Terry Thomas (You might recognize the great Athene Seyler from Night of the Demon. She plays the mother). 

cfd0432-makemink-s008a.jpg

• Like 2

You all cannot give Ben a break.  If its not French, its English (?) or it is his nasal tones or it is something.  Ben most likely can pronounce Yiddish well considering his background. 

As for pronouncing Hattie Jacques last name correctly, neither can the British or it would be the correct French pronunciation.  And I suppose none of you have any problem with pronunciation whether it's names or just common vocabulary. 

It it were not for Ben or Alec Baldwin you "fans" would have nothing to complain about. 

You all cannot give Ben a break.  If its not French, its English (?) or it is his nasal tones or it is something.  Ben most likely can pronounce Yiddish well considering his background. 

As for pronouncing Hattie Jacques last name correctly, neither can the British or it would be the correct French pronunciation.  And I suppose none of you have any problem with pronunciation whether it's names or just common vocabulary. 

It it were not for Ben or Alec Baldwin you "fans" would have nothing to complain about. 

Okay Emily. You've won me over with your impassioned defense of Ben here.

And so and JUST for you, from this moment on whenever someone starts one of these sorts of threads, I will attempt to refrain from any further kidding around about how Ben reminds me SO damn much of that AFLAC duck whenever he says the word "actor".

(...although remember here, I DID say "I will ATTEMPT to refrain" here, and so this isn't actually a promise NOT to here, you understand) 

LOL

• Like 1

I've never posted in this sort of thread, but I know from being in the theater that, when you're a pro, and particularly when you're in the public eye, you learn how to pronounce things properly before you go on stage (or on television). I wasn't feeling that strongly about it when I first posted, but now I think it's really sloppy preparation. 

Regarding the French/English bit, that's the point. It's when things have what people think are unusual pronunciations that you really have to take the trouble to get them right! 

I've never posted in this sort of thread, but I know from being in the theater that, when you're a pro, and particularly when you're in the public eye, you learn how to pronounce things properly before you go on stage (or on television)...

Then this must be the reason Trebek, in that rich and resonant voice of his, seems to so often nail almost every pronunciation of names, words and phrases on that quiz show of his, and regardless the language of their origins, eh Swithin?!

Speaking of "pros".

(...yep, I'll bet Alex does this very thing before Johnny Gilbert announces the opening of that show)

You all cannot give Ben a break.

Au contraire, mon frer, hast thee not heard of the Saturday afternoon "personality" whose name must not be mentioned?

Not terribly popular, that one.

Hell, he has a problem pronouncing his own first name. 

Give the guy a break, will ya? I like it when Treebark makes

the correct pronunciation after one of the contestants

uses the wrong one in their answer. He doesn't say

anything further, just leaves them hanging.

Then this must be the reason Trebek, in that rich and resonant voice of his, seems to so often nail almost every pronunciation of names, words and phrases on that quiz show of his, and regardless the language of their origins, eh Swithin?!

I speak German and Russian, and I can tell you your comment is decidedly not true.

To be fair to Ben, the British can't pronounce English names right, either. Look at how they pronounce Derby or Clerkenwell, for example.

One of my favorites was a BBC report about the two careers. I had no idea what the reporter was going on about, until he mentioned "North Career" and "South Career". :)

• Like 3

If he didn't know how to pronounce her name, he could have said "Jacques," as if it were French, and then hoped for the best. But he seemed to know that wouldn't be right. He just picked a wrong alternative.

He's lucky he didn't have to pronounce her husband's name: John Le Mesurier!

The closest I can come to spelling that for pronunciation would be:

John Le MEZH-ur-a

(Sort of like someone who measures, but don't pronounce the final "r").

250px-John_Le_Mesurier.jpg

To be fair to Ben, the British can't pronounce English names right, either. Look at how they pronounce Derby or Clerkenwell, for example.

One of my favorites was a BBC report about the two careers. I had no idea what the reporter was going on about, until he mentioned "North Career" and "South Career". :)

Yeah, now what IS it exactly with that whole British(and New England) thing where they don't pronounce the letter 'r' or at least it's a very SOFT 'r' sound anyway, and YET they WILL often add a hard 'r' sound to words and names that END in the letter 'a'???

My first exposure to THIS little speech phenomenon being during my childhood, and hearing our then President Kennedy telling us that there's some sort of problem we're having with the country of "Cuber", and then other people telling me that IF he doesn't handle this problem with the utmost care and diplomacy(whatever THAT was?) get ready to bend over and kiss my little you-know-what(and btw, yet another word the Brits add that hard 'r' sound to, but of course they also spell it with an 'r') goodbye, 'cause it'll then be the end of the entire human race.

I speak German and Russian, and I can tell you your comment is decidedly not true.

AH! So you're saying Trebek is just really good at FAKING the proper pronunciations of words in those two languages then, are ya Fedya?!

Well, I suppose you'd know better about this than would this monolingual person here, huh.

STILL though, I have to say AT LEAST whenever Trebek says the English word "actor"...

(...wait...I won't finish this thought...ya see I've kind of made a little promise to a certain lady around here, and well, YOU know)

LOL

• Like 1

;)

Must've been like watching GOMER PYLE do a news report.  That character had a tendency to add an "er" to a lot of words than ended with a vowel.  Like on a recent ANDY GRIFFITH rerun I heard him call the country "Chiner" .  ;)

Sepiatone

Okay Emily. You've won me over with your impassioned defense of Ben here.

And so and JUST for you, from this moment on whenever someone starts one of these sorts of threads, I will attempt to refrain from any further kidding around about how Ben reminds me SO damn much of that AFLAC duck whenever he says the word "actor".

(...although remember here, I DID say "I will ATTEMPT to refrain" here, and so this isn't actually a promise NOT to here, you understand) 

LOL

Dargo: I will always defend Ben and Alec from you lot.  Everyone here complains, complains, complains and

I 'll add whinges as well regarding these two individuals. 

From my point of view I'd like to complain about some of the programming where the same movies are played over and over when there are others that you have to wait for  However I will say I admire the programmed  "theme days" that they have had lately or "star days" where a star is featured all through the day.  This is especially nice when the feature actor is someone you would hardly ever see on a prime time focus.

I am also enjoying this month's featuring members of the actor's home...what great interviews and what a great reach back to history.  I am saddened to think about the many actors who lived there and no one was interested in recording the history...what a great perspective on the films they would be able to offer.

• Like 2

Dargo: I will always defend Ben and Alec from you lot.  Everyone here complains, complains, complains and

I 'll add whinges as well regarding these two individuals. 

Actually, I've never been a fan of the intros. Only rarely do they add to my appreciation/enjoyment of the movies. But if TCM must have them, I expect professionalism; not sloppiness. And I have never complained about pronunciations before.

I work with a lot of actors. Here's some advice from a casting director (this from Backstage magazine):

"As much as casting directors say that we want you to get the job, you lose us when you don’t do the simplest bit of homework. Correct pronunciation is the most basic part of your preparation, and it never ceases to amaze me when an actor doesn’t take this essential step."

I don't know where Ben lives, but if it's in NY or LA, he might benefit from one of the excellent acting or public speaking courses that are available.

• Like 1