Sign in to follow this  
papyrusbeetle

yet another PSYCHO post (can there ever be enough?) - a goof!

11 posts in this topic

***GOOF, IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT----If Sam Loomis (John Gavin) has been running the local hardware store, and living in Fairvale all his life, why wouldn't Norman Bates (Tony Perkins) recognize him, and he, Norman?

***GOOF, IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT----If Sam Loomis (John Gavin) has been running the local hardware store, and living in Fairvale all his life, why wouldn't Norman Bates (Tony Perkins) recognize him, and he, Norman?

Norman wasn't a handyman.     

I would think that Norman would have made a visit or two to the local hardware store, no matter what his calling.

This (Fairvale) is a little bitty town.

And---everyone would have gone to high school together, at least.

I would think that Norman would have made a visit or two to the local hardware store, no matter what his calling.

This (Fairvale) is a little bitty town.

And---everyone would have gone to high school together, at least.

I admit I'm confused.   

Is Fairvale the same town Janet's character worked in and where she stole the money from?   As well as the same town where the hotel was located where Janet and John had their sexual encounters?

AND this is the closely town to the Bate motel?  

Janet worked and lived in PHOENIX. Gavin lived in Fairvale, which I think Perkins told Janet was about 15 miles down the road. Not likely he went there much, and who knows, it may have had more than one hardware store! (plus the judge said Perkins was a hermit). Not really not much of a goof. I could swallow it..........

Besides in the scene with Lila, Sam had an employee working the register. So it's quite possible Norman COULD have been there and not seen Sam.

Janet worked and lived in PHOENIX. Gavin lived in Fairvale, which I think Perkins told Janet was about 15 miles down the road. Not likely he went there much, and who knows, it may have had more than one hardware store! (plus the judge said Perkins was a hermit). Not really not much of a goof. I could swallow it..........

Besides in the scene with Lila, Sam had an employee working the register. So it's quite possible Norman COULD have been there and not seen Sam.

Thanks for that clarity;  I just got back from my daily 4 mile hike and while on it I recalled that the film opens saying the city was Phoenix.   Therefore the hotel room was in Phoenix and Sam traveled there for their flings. 

To me it looked like  once Janet stole the money she traveled father than just 15 miles or so from Phoenix,  but I guess that was just my impression.   

While female viewers of the film might wonder how someone could forget Sam,  Norman's interest appeared to be more focused on women like Janet.    E.g. I tend to not notice good looking men and if I do,  I quickly forget them.    So yea, very minor goof (if one at all).

Actually, the BIG "goof" (elephant in the room!) in PSYCHO is how in the world did Sam Loomis hook up with Marion Crane?

Fairvale is WAY up north in Shasta County, California. (There is a map closeup in the film, if you watch closely)

How did Sam Loomis (not a rich man) afford to fly in and out of Phoenix, anyway?

Where did he and Marion meet? Las Vegas perhaps?

All sorts of people have gone there for a weekend, rich poor and in-between, just to get away.

I would think, though, that Marion Crane (if she had a brain in her head) could have just taken her savings and her car and PLONKED herself down in Fairvale to be NEAR Sam Loomis, and waited.

The main thing is to corrall him in marriage, not to get a jackpot of cash.

She was certainly in a dead-end job there in Phoenix, bored and miserable, anyway.

Actually, the BIG "goof" (elephant in the room!) in PSYCHO is how in the world did Sam Loomis hook up with Marion Crane?

Fairvale is WAY up north in Shasta County, California. (There is a map closeup in the film, if you watch closely)

How did Sam Loomis (not a rich man) afford to fly in and out of Phoenix, anyway?

All sorts of people have gone there for a weekend, rich poor and in-between, just to get away.

I would think, though, that Marion Crane (if she had a brain in her head) could have just taken her savings and her car and PLONKED herself down in Fairvale to be NEAR Sam Loomis, and waited.

I see I misunderstood Hibi when she said '15 miles down the road';   She meant the Bates motel was 15 miles from Fairvale and NOT that Fairvale was 15 miles from Phoenix.

So yea,  if Sam lived in Fairvale and Marion in Phoenix,  this was a long distance relationship.

PSYCHO 2  takes a hint from the locations mentioned in the original movie, and uses it for the major plot points....

Norman tells Marion that there is a "Diner" just outside of Fairvale, if she wants dinner.

(She doesn't, she's too worn out from her drive from Phoenix)

In PSYCHO 2, this "Diner" takes on serious form as the place of employment of Norman's biological mother. And things go bad from there on......

She was certainly in a dead-end job there in Phoenix, bored and miserable, anyway.

As Hitch loved to say, IT'S ONLY A MOVIE. Who knows if Hitch meant Fairvale to be a real place? It sounded to me like just a generic small town name the writer came up with......

Thanks for that clarity;  I just got back from my daily 4 mile hike and while on it I recalled that the film opens saying the city was Phoenix.   Therefore the hotel room was in Phoenix and Sam traveled there for their flings. 

To me it looked like  once Janet stole the money she traveled father than just 15 miles or so from Phoenix,  but I guess that was just my impression.   

While female viewers of the film might wonder how someone could forget Sam,  Norman's interest appeared to be more focused on women like Janet.    E.g. I tend to not notice good looking men and if I do,  I quickly forget them.    So yea, very minor goof (if one at all).

No, no. Fairvale was 15 miles from the Bates Motel, not Phoenix!