Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

America's Gun Culture...

1,464 posts in this topic

After mass shootings, retired military commanders urge Congress to address 'gun violence crisis'

".......the retired commanders, including Army Gens. Wesley Clark and Michael V. Hayden, Navy Admiral Eric T. Olson, Air Force Lt. Gen. Norman R. Seip and Marine Brig. Gen. Stephen A. Cheney, argue that

Congress is “no longer speaking or voting for the majority of Americans, including gun owners” when it comes to the issue of firearms.

“There is no acceptable excuse for our elected leaders to avoid addressing this as a national crisis,” they write.

.... as military leaders, they defended the Constitution and have considerable firearms training. As Americans, they said, they find the level of gun violence across the country unacceptable, ....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/2017/12/02/after-mass-shootings-retired-military-commanders-urge-congress-to-address-gun-violence-crisis/?utm_term=.061816c4c20f&tid=sm_tw

28 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

After mass shootings, retired military commanders urge Congress to address 'gun violence crisis'

".......the retired commanders, including Army Gens. Wesley Clark and Michael V. Hayden, Navy Admiral Eric T. Olson, Air Force Lt. Gen. Norman R. Seip and Marine Brig. Gen. Stephen A. Cheney, argue that

Congress is “no longer speaking or voting for the majority of Americans, including gun owners” when it comes to the issue of firearms.

“There is no acceptable excuse for our elected leaders to avoid addressing this as a national crisis,” they write.

.... as military leaders, they defended the Constitution and have considerable firearms training. As Americans, they said, they find the level of gun violence across the country unacceptable, ....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/2017/12/02/after-mass-shootings-retired-military-commanders-urge-congress-to-address-gun-violence-crisis/?utm_term=.061816c4c20f&tid=sm_tw

Since the GOP is 'no longer speaking or voting for the majority of Americans' with their stance on gun-control and tax reform should lead to the Dems gaining a majority in the House in 2018 and maybe even the Senate by 2020.

"there is no acceptable excuse' for the Dem party to fail.

On 11/6/2017 at 10:03 PM, hamradio said:

My point is forest creatures don't act like humans.

No, but some humans do act like creatures, especially if they have a gun in their hand.

2 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

GOP isn't going to do jack **** about gun laws no matter what.  They're in the tank for the NRA and billionaires.

Hmm. I've never heard that before.

2 minutes ago, darkblue said:

Hmm. I've never heard that before.

I know you're kidding but in case you're not, you might want to consider worrying less about women using their private parts to get at men's money and more about what's really going on.  Surely you don't want more vindictive females running around with guns going after men.  There's enough spousal shootings on both sides.  

6 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

Surely you don't want more vindictive females running around with guns going after men.  There's enough spousal shootings on both sides.  

That's no concern at all. We have guns of our own and we are allowed to use them in self defence if anyone is threatening us with a gun - so have at it, if that's what you think is best. Any woman that actually wants a gender war to become violent like that is seriously lacking any kind of rationality, though.

you might want to consider worrying less about women using their private parts to get at men's money

How would that even be possible? I don't worry about that even a little bit.

That's like worrying that the world is gonna keep turning and the sun will rise and fall again and again, day after day. Nature does what nature does. You can't stop it.

My money - and the money of all wise people - can't be lost to a ****. Only fools lose their money that way.

Education is lessening the pool of fools, though - so ***** are having tougher hunting these days, and hopefully it's gonna get a whole lot tougher going forward.

Independence for everyone.

15 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

GOP isn't going to do jack **** about gun laws no matter what.  They're in the tank for the NRA and billionaires.

I don't agree.   The GOP members in Congress are in the pocket of those that vote for them.  The House of Representatives is called that for a reason.     (and a Senator should represent their state NOT the majority of the country).

BUT as we have discussed before,  if a majority of GOP voters in a district \ state really support additional gun-control laws,  they need to vote in the GOP primary for a candidate that is pro-gun-control.    In fact the NRA makes this easy for ALL voters since the NRA 'scores' each candidate.    Historically the candidates with the 'good' NRA scores continue to win.    That isn't because of luck,  but because voters really don't care about gun-control.     If they now do, they can change how they vote in 2018. 

The same goes with Tax Reform;   polling shows that most people do NOT favor tax-cuts for the rich.   

16 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

C'mon....... The GOP members in Congress are in the pocket of those that PAY for them. 

<_<

The GOP are voted in by their electorate, as James points out any time some one brings up the NRA, but what isn't mentioned is how the opinions and voting habits of that same electorate are molded and influenced by the lobbyists. People sometimes think that lobbyists only cajole legislators to vote one way or another, but that's just one facet of a larger operation that also includes TV advertising, paid syndicated newspaper editorials, talking-point memos sent out to talk radio and TV pundits, carefully crafted "outrage" stories for news sites and social media, and "scientific studies" bought and paid for by the lobbyists' clients that will favor whichever position they want it to. This also extends to having legislators deny funding to research efforts that may have unfavorable results for whichever group is paying, such as the number of police shootings, or environmental impact studies related to mining/oil/gas/fracking/etc.

So yes, to be reductive, the voters put the politicians in office, not the lobbyists, but the lobbyists are manufacturing the opinions of those voters on multiple fronts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

C'mon....... The GOP members in Congress are in the pocket of those that PAY for them. 

<_<

& only start groveling & BSing their electorate (who have notoriously SHORT attention spans & shorter memories) a few months before their elections

"We'll tell you ANYthing you want to hear..."

-Howard Beale "Network"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mr6666 said:

<_<

I don't see much of a difference.   Those that 'PAY for them' also VOTED for them.     Face facts;  The GOP is able to win elections.  The Dems,,, not so much.   :lol:

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

The GOP are voted in by their electorate, as James points out any time some one brings up the NRA, but what isn't mentioned is how the opinions and voting habits of that same electorate are molded and influenced by the lobbyists. People sometimes think that lobbyists only cajole legislators to vote one way or another, but that's just one facet of a larger operation that also includes TV advertising, paid syndicated newspaper editorials, talking-point memos sent out to talk radio and TV pundits, carefully crafted "outrage" stories for news sites and social media, and "scientific studies" bought and paid for by the lobbyists' clients that will favor whichever position they want it to. This also extends to having legislators deny funding to research efforts that may have unfavorable results for whichever group is paying, such as the number of police shootings, or environmental impact studies related to mining/oil/gas/fracking/etc.

So yes, to be reductive, the voters put the politicians in office, not the lobbyists, but the lobbyists are manufacturing the opinions of those voters on multiple fronts.

Of course lobbyist and activist mold and influence the electorate and therefore influence election outcomes.   That is part of their job.    Some are better than others.    There are gun-control lobbyist and activist group.    Why are they so ineffective and the NRA so effective?    To me that should be the focus of voters that wish for more gun-control laws in their state, as well as at the Federal level.     

In addition,  many here are saying that the NRA doesn't even represent the views of most gun-owners and NRA members.  I.e. that most gun-owners and NRA members want additional gun control laws.    If that is true, what does that says about how poorly these gun-control lobbyist and activist groups are at doing their job.   They must be hacks,  right?    

Note that in the passed I have mentioned MADD as it relates to a lobbyist group.  This group had to take on the Alcohol beverage industry (which has very deep pockets),  as well as the Restaurant industry.    MADD prevailed while being out funded,  big time.        

Voters looking for more gun-control laws should look at MADD and see if they can repeat that type of success. 

I agree in so far as the electorate is a big part of the issue, but in my opinion voter apathy and the subsequent low turn-out on election days, especially among political moderates, insure that each election creeps further to the right. I don't think it's as much a case of changing minds of those who are voting, as most seem intractable, but rather luring the disaffected back to the polls. How that's done, I couldn't say.

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I don't see much of a difference.   Those that 'PAY for them' also VOTED for them.     Face facts;  The GOP is able to win elections.  The Dems,,, not so much.   :lol:

They did pretty well in Virginia and New Jersey. 

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

I agree in so far as the electorate is a big part of the issue, but in my opinion voter apathy and the subsequent low turn-out on election days, especially among political moderates, insure that each election creeps further to the right. I don't think it's as much a case of changing minds of those who are voting, as most seem intractable, but rather luring the disaffected back to the polls. How that's done, I couldn't say.

Hey Lawrence!

Coincidentally, the guy who submitted a post JUST below yours here happens to BE one of those people you're talkin' about! What luck, EH?!

(...so what say you maybe ask HIM how to do that thing you just mentioned here?!) ;)

LOL

1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

They did pretty well in Virginia and New Jersey. 

Yes they did.    Maybe that is a sign that the dissatisfaction as shown by Trump's dismal approval rating,  lack of support for the GOP tax plan,   lack of gun control,  etc.. .will result in the Dems making gains. 

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Maybe if one could vote using Twitter or Facebook,  the Dem would win in a landslide.   :lol:

• Haha 1

"Hollywood" and all forms of Media have been glorifying people who use the gun to solve situations for well over a century. Every hero has had a gun in their hand, almost without exception. It's almost sexual at this point.

And you wonder why people can't bring themselves to vote for those who might take guns away?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The same goes with Tax Reform;   polling shows that most people do NOT favor tax-cuts for the rich.   

Republicans always frame it as a "tax cut for the poor" to all the masses and Republican voters eat it up.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Republicans always frame it as a "tax cut for the poor" to all the masses and Republican voters eat it up.

"  There are none so blind as those who will not see. "

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yes they did.    Maybe that is a sign that the dissatisfaction as shown by Trump's dismal approval rating,  lack of support for the GOP tax plan,   lack of gun control,  etc.. .will result in the Dems making gains. 

Perhaps. If Trump's approval rating stays in the mid 30s that should be

a good sign for Democrats. 

1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

:mellow:

HuffPostVerified account @HuffPost 21m21 minutes ago

One month after Texas church shooting, House Republicans vote to expand gun rights http://huffp.st/jxoA9ej 

DQZTWzWUQAE_Hya.jpg

Senator Dick DurbinVerified account @SenatorDurbin 19m19 minutes ago

.@NRA-backed bill to undermine state concealed carry laws just passed in the U.S. House of Representatives.

Earlier today, Police Chief Thomas Manger of the Major Cities Chiefs Association described the bill as "misguided" and "dangerous for his police officers."