Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

America's Gun Culture...

979 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Senator Dick DurbinVerified account @SenatorDurbin 19m19 minutes ago

.@NRA-backed bill to undermine state concealed carry laws just passed in the U.S. House of Representatives.

Earlier today, Police Chief Thomas Manger of the Major Cities Chiefs Association described the bill as "misguided" and "dangerous for his police officers."

So how each member voted is now part of the public record.   Will it matter in November 2018?   

PS:   "with six Democrats supporting it":  They will clearly face challenges in the next Dem primary.    But who will prevail?

14 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

So how each member voted is now part of the public record.   Will it matter in November 2018?   

PS:   "with six Democrats supporting it":  They will clearly face challenges in the next Dem primary.    But who will prevail?

I doubt the six Dems who voted for nationwide concealed weapons carry permitting will face much opposition.  They know their constituency. There will be Dem senators who will vote for it for the same reason.

I find it amusing that the GOPers compare the nationwide gun carry bill to national recognition of drivers licenses.  To me it is closer to states not accepting other states licenses for lawyers, teachers, doctors, social workers and large number of businesses.  A drivers license and a concealed weapons permit are not the same thing at all. 

Not to mention that having the feds regulate what the states can and cannot do re: guns is totally opposite to their belief in less federal intrusion in state government.

• Thanks 1

UPI.comVerified account @UPI

3 dead, 15 hurt in New Mexico high school shooting

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2017/12/07/3-dead-15-hurt-in-New-Mexico-high-school-shooting/2301512666657/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

-------------------------------------------------

Shannon WattsVerified account @shannonrwatts 3h3 hours ago

Shannon Watts Retweeted UPI.com

This New Mexico school shooting is the 57th American school shooting to date in 2017. Text JOIN to 64433 to join @MomsDemand if you believe Congress should stand up to the gun lobby so our children don't have to stand up to gunmen.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/7/2017 at 3:56 PM, mr6666 said:

UPI.comVerified account @UPI

3 dead, 15 hurt in New Mexico high school shooting

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2017/12/07/3-dead-15-hurt-in-New-Mexico-high-school-shooting/2301512666657/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

-------------------------------------------------

Shannon WattsVerified account @shannonrwatts 3h3 hours ago

Shannon Watts Retweeted UPI.com

This New Mexico school shooting is the 57th American school shooting to date in 2017. Text JOIN to 64433 to join @MomsDemand if you believe Congress should stand up to the gun lobby so our children don't have to stand up to gunmen.

This was the shooter that the police said was a white supremacist obsessed with  Pro Trump white supremacist websites and Hitler.

The National Rifle Association’s first year as Trump propagandists-

Trump and the NRA have shared anti-immigrant, anti-free press, and pro-authoritarian sentiments

"...Despite Trump’s past stances, the NRA and Trump were the perfect political match. The then-president-elect and the country’s foremost gun group shared an affinity for culture war rhetoric, driven by white racial grievancesretrograde views of women, and anti-immigrantanti-free press, and pro-authoritarian sentiments. They also shared a penchant for spreading division through fearmongering and peddling conspiracy theories.

On Inauguration Day, the NRA flipped a switch, pivoting from a group that often raised the spectre of violent insurrection against a presidential administration it didn’t like to a group that now raises the spectre of violence against critics of a presidential administration it loves....

https://www.salon.com/2017/12/31/the-national-rifle-associations-first-year-as-trump-propagandists_partner/

• Sad 1

No surprise here.....

NRA's 2016 Tax Filings-

"In 2016, the NRA devoted huge sums of money to winning back the White House and protecting Republican control of Congress; the 501(c)(4) and the PAC spent millions of dollars on television and radio ads. They poured more than $54 million into electing GOP candidates up and down the ballot, according to the Center for Responsive Politics, with a focus on supporting Donald Trump and a slate of Republicans running for the US House and Senate. Those investments paid off. All but a few of the candidates who received NRA backing won their respective elections.

As president, Trump—who benefited from $10 million in NRA spending backing his candidacy and another $19.7 million attacking Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton—has spoken at NRA events and pledged his loyalty to the group. “You came through for me, and I am going to come through for you,” he said at the NRA’s annual meeting last April. “The eight-year assault on your Second Amendment freedoms has come to a crashing end....

Trump made fears about gun violence a central part of his campaign, but as president he has done little to curb that violence. At the same time, he has methodically, if quietly, taken steps to relax gun control policies. The Justice Department tightened the definition of who qualifies as a “fugitive from justice” when it comes to gun ownership, in effect making it easier for certain people with arrest warrants to possess firearms. The Interior Department removed a ban on hunting with lead ammunition on federal lands. And a bill signed last February prohibited the Social Security Administration from reporting recipients with mental impairments to a national background-check database. The NRA applauded the latter two actions. ....

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2018/01/nra-donald-trump-guns-fundraising/

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, mr6666 said:
Jan 23 2018, 7:40 pm ET

Kentucky school shooting: 2 dead, 5 critical at Marshall County High School

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/one-dead-after-shooting-kentucky-high-school-multiple-victims-reported-n840171?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

The New York TimesVerified account @nytimes 11h11 hours ago

The school shooting in Kentucky was the 11th at a U.S. school THIS year,

and roughly the 50th of the academic year

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/23/us/kentucky-school-shooting.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

:huh:

• Sad 1

School Shootings Are Sad, But No Longer Surprising

....School shootings have become commonplace. News organizations now know whom to call for reflections on how families and towns can try to contend with loss and grief, and on counsel and care for sad and traumatized students. And of course, we know who to call to hear from those who dispute even the most modest regulation on guns. We have had to make those calls time and time again.

ap_18026075731617-9db0a7d64ca3df4277cb83

People attend a vigil on Thursday for the victims of a fatal shooting at Marshall County High School in Benton, Ky.

Many U.S. schools now have routine drills on how to take shelter if a gunman bursts into their school.

... The fear of children dying in their classrooms has become an everyday fact of our lives. But have we stopped being shocked?

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/27/581216851/school-shootings-are-sad-but-no-longer-surprising?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20180127

& don't tell me that, in itself, is not just SAD!!

:(

• Sad 2

NBC4 New York just mentioned there is a surge of gun registration / ownership in Puerto Rico.

Tried Googling it and can't find squat... I WONDER WHY??

Did find this article from last year.

Puerto Rico Reminds Us All Why Gun Rights Are so Important

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/timothymeads/2017/09/30/puerto-rico-reminds-us-all-why-gun-rights-are-so-important-n2389013

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hamradio said:

NBC4 New York just mentioned there is a surge of gun registration / ownership in Puerto Rico.

Tried Googling it and can't find squat... I WONDER WHY??

Did find this article from last year.

Puerto Rico Reminds Us All Why Gun Rights Are so Important

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/timothymeads/2017/09/30/puerto-rico-reminds-us-all-why-gun-rights-are-so-important-n2389013

So, tell me here ham, how does this RATIONAL, once again let me repeat this here, RATIONAL thought that in times of crisis the owning of a firearm for protection against your FELLOW CITIZENS who might resort to looting during said crisis, segue in thought to the IRRATIONAL, once again let me repeat this here, IRRATIONAL thought that there should NO, let me repeat this here, NO limits applied to the owning of firearms due to the BASIC, let me repeat this here, BASIC rationalization that one will be able to fight off some future tyrannical government because of their ability to own firearms in an almost unlimited manner???

(...'cause ya know bub, THAT is the bottom line rationale that the NRA has used to fight EVERY freakin' attempt at RATIONAL, let me repeat this here, RATIONAL bit of gun legislation in this country since that freakin' idiot Wayne LaPiere took control of that organization decades ago!!!)

• Thanks 3

On 1/26/2018 at 8:36 PM, hamradio said:

That old "Duck and Cover" ad could be repurposed.;)

587399641b00002c006e6568.jpeg?ops=scalef

I don't think this is very funny. 

But obviously I don't share your kind of humor.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I don't think this is very funny. 

But obviously I don't share your kind of humor.

It WOULD have been funny if ham meant it in an ironic and dark humored fashion, Princess, and in an attempt to say something to the effect that this sort of survival-based schoolhouse practice of yore should never come to pass again, and especially for the reason of some potential modern day homegrown gun violence against our children.

BUT, seein' as how I have the feeling that ham's intent, and primarily due to his ongoing arguments against any attempts at an establishment of any RATIONAL gun control policies in this country, the latest one of course being his above posting about the crisis in Puerto Rico as some kind of rationale for his stance...

(...well, let me put it this way here...I can CERTAINLY see why you would find THIS attempt of his at humor to be less than knee-slappingly funny, and because yeah, I DON'T think that that was his true intent)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

So, tell me here ham, how does this RATIONAL, once again let me repeat this here, RATIONAL thought that in times of crisis the owning of a firearm for protection against your FELLOW CITIZENS who might resort to looting during said crisis, segue in thought to the IRRATIONAL, once again let me repeat this here, IRRATIONAL thought that there should NO, let me repeat this here, NO limits applied to the owning of firearms due to the BASIC, let me repeat this here, BASIC rationalization that one will be able to fight off some future tyrannical government because of their ability to own firearms in an almost unlimited manner???

(...'cause ya know bub, THAT is the bottom line rationale that the NRA has used to fight EVERY freakin' attempt at RATIONAL, let me repeat this here, RATIONAL bit of gun legislation in this country since that freakin' idiot Wayne LaPiere took control of that organization decades ago!!!)

If you were in Puerto Rico with little or no protection from the law, what would you do...yell at the criminals hoping they will be scared off

(Yeah this tactic MIGHT work. LOL!)

I think a tyrannical government is the LAST thing on their mind at present.

4 hours ago, hamradio said:

If you were in Puerto Rico with little or no protection from the law, what would you do...yell at the criminals hoping they will be scared off

If only we were all Swedish!

7 hours ago, hamradio said:

Puerto Rico is under disaster conditions right now and the situation is nothing like the mainland US; Hardly good rationale for having no gun laws. Also Puerto Rico wouldn't even be so bad off if Trump had actually done anything to help them. :rolleyes: It seems some right wingers only care about Puerto Rico when it can help with their NRA agenda.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, hamradio said:

So, I see you have COMPLETELY, let me say this again, COMPLETELY missed the point of my earlier post up there, eh ham ol' boy?!

OR perhaps you DID get it, but chose to purposely ignore it because you KNEW you couldn't mount a rational argument against what I posited in my question.

(...'cause here dude, let's REMEMBER here that it was YOU who posted that link to some idiot who used the present plight of the Puerto Ricans as some sort of IRRATIONAL rationale against the idea of RATIONAL gun control measures in THIS country!!!)

• Like 1

On 1/26/2018 at 8:36 PM, hamradio said:

That old "Duck and Cover" ad could be repurposed.;)

587399641b00002c006e6568.jpeg?ops=scalef

Nerd alert. The kid at the left wearing a tie and toting a briefcase.

Run, run like hell.

1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

Nerd alert. The kid at the left wearing a tie and toting a briefcase.

Run, run like hell.

AH yes! The young Chris Christie there!

(...yeah, I see him now)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dargo said:

AH yes! The young Chris Christie there!

(...yeah, I see him now)

It does look a bit like a young pudgy Christ Christie. Probably a 

lot of Ring Dings in that briefcase, and his main concern is

will the cafeteria still be open.

2 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

It does look a bit like a young pudgy Christ Christie. Probably a 

lot of Ring Dings in that briefcase, and his main concern is

will the cafeteria still be open.

Uh-huh.

Of course I suppose there's an outside chance there's also copies of the construction plans for the Lincoln Tunnel in that briefcase of his too.

(...but then probably not, huh...I mean, he'd have to be one prescient little pudgy kid for that to be the case, huh)