Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

America's Gun Culture...

1,001 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Uh-huh.

Of course I suppose there's an outside chance there's also copies of the construction plans for the Lincoln Tunnel in that briefcase of his too.

(...but then probably not, huh...I mean, he'd have to be one prescient little pudgy kid for that to be the case, huh)

That would likely be too much, but he did try to keep everyone else out of the sandbox.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Latest on a Los Angeles school shooting (all times local):

11:30 a.m.

The chief of the Los Angeles school police department says preliminary information indicates that the female suspect in the Los Angeles middle school shooting is 12 years old.

Television news footage showed officers leading a girl with dark hair away in handcuffs following the shooting Thursday in a classroom at Castro Middle School. Two students were shot and wounded....

https://apnews.com/8307e0dc42b747e0944afad411971ffe?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

• Sad 1

On 1/30/2018 at 1:13 AM, Dargo said:

So, tell me here ham, how does this RATIONAL, once again let me repeat this here, RATIONAL thought that in times of crisis the owning of a firearm for protection against your FELLOW CITIZENS who might resort to looting during said crisis, segue in thought to the IRRATIONAL, once again let me repeat this here, IRRATIONAL thought that there should NO, let me repeat this here, NO limits applied to the owning of firearms due to the BASIC, let me repeat this here, BASIC rationalization that one will be able to fight off some future tyrannical government because of their ability to own firearms in an almost unlimited manner???

(...'cause ya know bub, THAT is the bottom line rationale that the NRA has used to fight EVERY freakin' attempt at RATIONAL, let me repeat this here, RATIONAL bit of gun legislation in this country since that freakin' idiot Wayne LaPiere took control of that organization decades ago!!!)

To me you're entire POV here is flawed since NO state has NO limits.   LET ME REPEAT:  NO state has NO limits.

The issue is the degree of the limits,   but every state has gun control laws and regulation,  and of course there are the Federal ones.

While the NRA uses the 'slipper slope' defense to try to block what I define as rational gun legislation, every activist group uses this technique. 

Will American voters ever elect politicians who will make it more difficult for people to own guns?

Doesn't seem likely. 

Even though the polls say that the vast majority want to see "rational" gun laws enacted, when it comes to the voting booth, the personal question "do you want it to be more difficult for you, personally, to own a gun?" is a much more influential poll for the individual voter.

I've said it before - if I lived in the U.S.A. I'm pretty certain I'd own a gun, if not several.

And I'm accustomed to living without guns in society at large. Americans aren't.

31 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

NBC 6 South FloridaVerified account @nbc6 31m31 minutes ago

#BREAKING UPDATE: BSO is investigating a reported shooting at Stoneman Douglas High School. Live coverage and updates:

HuffPostVerified account @HuffPost 6m6 minutes ago

Coral Springs Police tweeted that teachers and students should barricade themselves inside “until police reach you.” The shooter is still at large, according to police. http://huffp.st/IyjdytX 

DWBg1qkXcAA8xJg.jpg
  • Sad 1

here are my thoughts. liberal democrats will again politicize today's tragedy for the sake of gun control. they are not only losers but so is their issue...because the thinking american has known for years that it simply wouldn't work. the criminals will just get their rods off the street from the black market so why does the left persist? because they secretly (they think) detest white rural america and our traditions of owning firearms.
the truth is that it is liberal democrats' constant ideological soulmates the hollywood celebs who above anyone else in american society who have been glorifying gun violence for years in an increasingly dramatically-less gratuitous manner. who put the bug in today's parkland florida high school berserker to start popping off and murdering his peers?
the NRA...or quentin tarantino? you know what you won't hear? jake tapper or brooke baldwin interviewing the parents of the fatalities...because that is a true part of America they doan wanna give a voice to. the righteous anger of grief-stricken parents demanding justice AND an adequate punishment for the young berserker who decided it would be fun to gun down his schoolmates...and that's alright.

president donny trump will say it for them.

Hopefully this latest school shooting will convince state officials in states with lack gun control laws to pass the type of gun control laws CA has.    At a minimum no minor should be allowed access to a gun unless they are in the company of an adult.    When a minor gains access to a gun from an adult (e.g. they are able to get to their parent's guns),   the adult should be charged and given a prison term.    

In addition voters need to use the NRA rating of a politician to determine what politicians NOT to vote for.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Hopefully this latest school shooting will convince state officials in states with lack gun control laws to pass the type of gun control laws CA has.    At a minimum no minor should be allowed access to a gun unless they are in the company of an adult.    When a minor gains access to a gun from an adult (e.g. they are able to get to their parent's guns),   the adult should be charged and given a prison term.    

In addition voters need to use the NRA rating of a politician to determine what politicians NOT to vote for.

the NRA has never hyped anything but responsible gun ownership and use...

so tell me when was the last time the NRA financed an ultra-violent quentin tarantino film?..but I do agree negligent parents should be locked up for decades depending upon the severity of mayhem...

but of course liberal defense attorneys will make a fortune defending such parents...liberal lawyers who vote democrat.

• Haha 1

PARKLAND, Fla. (AP) — The Latest on the deadly shooting at a Florida high school (all times local):

6:05 p.m.

A sheriff says 17 people have died in the shooting attack on a South Florida high school.

Sheriff Scott Israel of Broward County says the 19-year-old suspect is in custody and that investigators are beginning to “dissect” what happened in the attack Wednesday at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland.

He says the suspect, a former student, was previously expelled for disciplinary reasons.

Israel says the man had at least one rifle and multiple magazines.

He says most of the fatalities were inside the building though some were found fatally shot outside.

-------------------------------------------

NBC ChicagoVerified account @nbcchicago 8m8 minutes ago

Authorities say an AR-15 rile and multiple magazines were found in the Florida school shooting suspect's possession. He was expelled from the school "for disciplinary reasons," an official: said.http://nbcchi.com/WK1j5kq

• Sad 2

Members of Congress will offer their thoughts and prayers for the victims and, as usual, will do nothing because the NRA insists that assault weapons should be available to anyone who wants one regardless of being on the terrorist watch list, criminal, wife beater, crazy teenager or whatever.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, ChristineHoard said:

Members of Congress will offer their thoughts and prayers for the victims and, as usual, will do nothing because the NRA insists that assault weapons should be available to anyone who wants one regardless of being on the terrorist watch list, criminal, wife beater, crazy teenager or whatever.

I have to disagree with you once again as to why members of Congress 'do nothing';  The reason is that this is what the people in their district or state want OR because pro-gun-control is NOT enough of an issue to compel someone to be a 'single-issue' voter.    Anyhow,   if the majority of voters in a district or state really disagree with the NRA's stance,  than voters can vote for politicians that disagree with the NRA's stance.    It all depends on how really important getting gun-control bills passed is to each individual voter.

Again,  the NRA provide a ratings for all House and Senate candidates.   This is useful info for voters.    Pro-gun control voters needs to vote for those politicians with the lowest score.   Note that in CA a low score is a badge of honor,  but in most states a high score is.   THAT is what needs to change. 

NO candidates nowadays run on single issues. Most try to seem mid-road to attract majority

Maybe only way to find how voters feel are single issue state referendums, and reps should vote accordingly

:unsure:

• Like 1

The NRA's congressional influence is bad. Its judicial clout could be worse.

The NRA’s influence over the courts could last far beyond this Congress or Trump’s presidency.

"....even more alarming than the gun lobby’s chokehold on Congress — and covered far less frequently — is the NRA’s growing clout in shaping the federal judiciary under Trump.

The gun lobby said it spent $1 million to confirm Trump’s Supreme Court nominee, Neil Gorsuch. Now the NRA has its sights set on the lower federal courts. McConnell is leading a huge push to fill the record-breaking number of federal court vacancies created by his obstruction of President Barack Obama’s nominees — and the gun lobby is reaping a windfall......

What is unprecedented is how much sway the NRA now holds over who is confirmed for life-tenured seats on the federal bench. ...........

if courts cripple the ability of our elected representatives to tackle gun violence, it would “deliver a body blow to democracy as we have known it since the very founding of this nation.”

If Trump’s new judges elevate the Second Amendment above all other rights, it would wreak incalculable damage to public safety. ...........

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/nra-s-congressional-influence-bad-it-s-judicial-clout-could-ncna818196?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

• Sad 3

6 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

NO candidates nowadays run on single issues. Most try to seem mid-road to attract majority

Maybe only way to find how voters feel are single issue state referendums, and reps should vote accordingly

:unsure:

My part of the state (Florida) is redder than red, leaning very conservative. The Republican party headquarters for the county is a large brick building. The Democratic headquarters was in some guy's house garage for a while. Every election (local, state or federal), they all try to "out-gun" each other. Their mailers always tout their NRA standing, and how they are avid outdoorsmen, and at least one picture in hunting camo holding a shotgun or rifle. I joke with James, but he's right, in that people get upset after these mass shootings, but when it comes time to vote, the gun crowd always votes the same way. Part of it is the effective "marketing" the NRA pays for that tells voters that any kind of gun legislation is "secretly" designed to take all guns from all people. But in the end, people make their own decisions, and therefore bear the responsibility. 

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I have to disagree with you once again as to why members of Congress 'do nothing';  The reason is that this is what the people in their district or state want OR because pro-gun-control is NOT enough of an issue to compel someone to be a 'single-issue' voter.    Anyhow,   if the majority of voters in a district or state really disagree with the NRA's stance,  than voters can vote for politicians that disagree with the NRA's stance.    It all depends on how really important getting gun-control bills passed is to each individual voter.

Exactly.

It doesn't matter how many people say "they shouldn't sell guns to bad (or crazy) people", in the privacy of the voting booth they're not gonna vote for the politician who they think will take away their right to own a gun.

Marco Rubio and Rick Scott are in the NRA's pocket and receiving boatloads of cash for their campaigns.  True, ultimately it is up to voters to stand up to these guys.  Politicians will continue to cry crocodile tears for victims of gun violence but then carry on to do the NRA's bidding.  Spineless, gutless politicians.  It's all about NRA money.  Slowly, voters will catch on and start voting these guys out.  It already happened in Virginia.  Someday it may even happen in Florida.

Stopping the sales of assault rifles and background checks will not hurt the gun lovers of America.  Hunters do not need assault rifles to kill deer (and if they do, maybe it's time to reconsider and find a new hobby).  No one is going to take away their precious guns.  They do not have to buy the NRA bull****.  Terrorists, crazy people, wife beaters, criminals, etc. should not have guns.  Period.

I hate it when politicians say it is "too soon" to talk about common sense gun laws after a big shooting.  For victims of gun violence, it's too already late.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

here are my thoughts. liberal democrats will again politicize today's tragedy for the sake of gun control. they are not only losers but so is their issue...because the thinking american has known for years that it simply wouldn't work. the criminals will just get their rods off the street from the black market so why does the left persist? because they secretly (they think) detest white rural america and our traditions of owning firearms.
the truth is that it is liberal democrats' constant ideological soulmates the hollywood celebs who above anyone else in american society who have been glorifying gun violence for years in an increasingly dramatically-less gratuitous manner. who put the bug in today's parkland florida high school berserker to start popping off and murdering his peers?
the NRA...or quentin tarantino? you know what you won't hear? jake tapper or brooke baldwin interviewing the parents of the fatalities...because that is a true part of America they doan wanna give a voice to. the righteous anger of grief-stricken parents demanding justice AND an adequate punishment for the young berserker who decided it would be fun to gun down his schoolmates...and that's alright.

president donny trump will say it for them.

I dislike the glorification of violence and murder in media too but the mentally ill having easy access to guns is very clearly part of this issue.

On January 30, 2018 at 11:10 PM, Dargo said:

AH yes! The young Chris Christie there!

(...yeah, I see him now)

I thought it was young Devon Nunes clutching his brief case that he was on his way to the principle's office with.  It contains a list of his fellow students that he is snitching on.

Too bad that not everyone who worships the 2nd Amendment don't also consider the 5th Commandment.

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1