Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

America's Gun Culture...

1,451 posts in this topic

Oliver North Worked With Cocaine Traffickers to Arm Terrorists.

Now He’ll Be President of the NRA.

"............ In 2013, LaPierre proclaimed that “Latin American drug gangs have invaded every city of significant size in the United States,” and are a key part of the “hellish world” that awaits us in the future.

It seems odd, then, that the next president of the NRA will soon be Oliver North, who spent years in the 1980s working together with large-scale cocaine traffickers and protecting a notorious narco-terrorist from the rest of the U.S. government.

This reality about North has been largely covered up, first by North himself and then by Fox News and the passage of time. Thirty years later, it’s been almost totally forgotten. But the facts remain genuinely appalling.....

Wayne LaPierre said there’s “no one better suited to serve as our President,” and he’s correct. ....

.... North....., is “the perfect pick to further the NRA’s reputation for favoring bloodshed and criminality over responsible gun control and ownership.”

https://theintercept.com/2018/05/12/oliver-north-nra-iran-contra/

<_<

• Sad 1

NBC ChicagoVerified account @nbcchicago 3h3 hours ago

Provocative "Chicago Gun Share Program" art display sparks controversy, discussion in Chicago

http://nbcchi.com/itk8ZHa 

"Divvy bikesharing stations have become commonplace in Chicago, but a new art installation designed to evoke that image is turning a lot of heads.

The art installation, called “Chicago Gun Share Program,” depicts replicas of AR-15 guns that are locked into a rack similar to Divvy stations.

The display has signage like “unlock and load,” and also features a place for people to donate to the Brady Center, which advocates for stricter gun control legislation.

Another sign near the exhibit features statistics that compare gun laws in Illinois and Indiana, and points out that one in five guns used in committing crimes in Chicago actually comes from Indiana.....

“When you rent a bike it’s easy. It’s easy to just rent a gun and it’s easy to kill a person with it,” he said.

Even second-amendment advocates like Elgin resident Ray Weishaar understood the artist’s intent behind the piece.

“(It’s pointing out) the prevalence of guns and how easy it is to get them,” he said.....

DdHFfVWW4AEjYqK.jpg

Tim MakVerified account @timkmak 3h3 hours ago

Buried in Senate Judiciary Cmte Dem report on Trump camp efforts to get incriminating info re Clinton:

"The Committee has obtained a number of documents that suggest

the Kremlin used the National Rifle Association as a means of accessing and assisting Mr. Trump and his campaign"

• Sad 1

The Associated PressVerified account @AP

BREAKING: Sheriff: 8-10 fatalities in Texas high school shooting, most of them students; 2 people believed to be students detained.

8:50 AM - 18 May 2018
---------------------------------------------------------------

Senator Dick DurbinVerified account @SenatorDurbin 4h4 hours ago

My heart breaks for the Santa Fe families and community coping with another mass shooting tragedy in America.

It's unconscionable that students and teachers aren't safe in their own classrooms, and that Congress has stood idly by as gun violence plagues our nation's schools.

2018 has been deadlier for schoolchildren than service members

The school shooting near Houston on Friday bolstered a stunning statistic: More people have been killed at schools this year than have been killed while serving in the military.

Initial estimates put the number killed at Santa Fe High School at eight, but even without those deaths, nearly twice as many people were killed at schools than in the military. (The figures for the military were compiled from Defense Department news releases and include both combat and noncombat deaths.) Including only students who died in school shootings (excluding, for example, teachers) the total still exceeds military casualties.........

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2018/05/18/2018-has-been-deadlier-for-schoolchildren-than-service-members/?utm_term=.8a6963314fa2.

• Sad 1

Some Simple Truth About Gun Control-

"........... The precise legislation that makes gun-owning hard in a certain sense doesn’t really matter—and that should give hope to all of those who feel that, with several hundred million guns in private hands, there’s no point in trying to make America a gun-sane country.

....through empirical experience and better organization, was that making crime even a little bit harder made it much, much rarer. This is undeniably true of property crime, and common sense and evidence tells you that this is also true even of crimes committed by crazy people (to use the plain English the subject deserves). Those who hold themselves together enough to be capable of killing anyone are subject to the same rules of opportunity as sane people. Even madmen need opportunities to display their madness, and behave in different ways depending on the possibilities at hand. .....

.... It’s always hard to summon up political will for change, no matter how beneficial the change may obviously be. Summoning the political will to make automobiles safe was difficult; so was summoning the political will to limit and then effectively ban cigarettes from public places. At some point, we will become a gun-safe, and then a gun-sane, and finally a gun-free society. It’s closer than you think. (I’m grateful to my colleague Jeffrey Toobin for showing so well that the idea that the Second Amendment assures individual possession of guns, so far from being deeply rooted in American law, is in truth a new and bizarre reading, ...

On gun violence and how to end it, the facts are all in, the evidence is clear, the truth there for all who care to know it—indeed, a global consensus is in place, which, in disbelief and now in disgust, the planet waits for us to join. Those who fight against gun control, actively or passively, with a shrug of helplessness, are dooming more kids to horrible deaths and more parents to unspeakable grief just as surely as are those who fight against pediatric medicine or childhood vaccination ....

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/the-simple-truth-about-gun-control?mbid=social_twitter

<_<

4 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

This shooting also happened today but was overshadowed by the Texas massacre. 

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/breaking-multiple-people-shot-mount-zion-high-school-police-say/fKmGV5rP6tZA1QthMTtyCN/

1 dead, 1 injured in shooting near high school graduation, police say

One person has died and another has been shot in a parking lot across the street from Mt. Zion High School, police said. The two people shot were not students.

There was a graduation ceremony happening across the street at the Clayton County Performing Arts Center, Channel 2 Action News said. The shooting happened after the graduation concluded.

Both people shot were adult women, Channel 2 reported. One was shot in the leg and the other was shot three times. It is unclear if they were attending the graduation or not. The woman shot in the leg was transported to a local hospital.

This one was overshadowed by yesterday's Texas high school massacre.

Houston Police Chief Says He’s Sick Of Inaction On Gun Control

"Following another school shooting, this one leaving 10 dead and 13 injured in Texas, Houston’s police chief is calling out elected officials for their failure to protect the children they claim to hold so dear.

Police Chief Art Acevedo posted a pained message on Facebook after Friday’s shooting in the nearby town of Santa Fe,.........

"Art Acevedo
on Friday-

"To all my Facebook friends. Today I spent the day dealing with another mass shooting of children and a responding police officer who is clinging to life. I’m not ashamed to admit I’ve shed tears of sadness, pain and anger.

I know some have strong feelings about gun rights but I want you to know I’ve hit rock bottom and I am not interested in your views as it pertains to this issue. Please do not post anything about guns aren’t the problem and there’s little we can do. My feelings won’t be hurt if you de-friend me and I hope yours won’t be if you decide to post about your views and I de-friend you.

I have never accepted the status-quo in anything I do and I’ve never accepted defeat. And I won’t do it now. I will continue to speak up and will stand up for what my heart and my God commands me to do, and I assure you he hasn’t instructed me to believe that gun-rights are bestowed by him.

The hatred being spewed in our country and the new norms we, so-called people of faith are accepting, is as much to blame for so much of the violence in our once pragmatic Nation.

This isn’t a time for prayers, and study and Inaction, it’s a time for prayers, action and the asking of God’s forgiveness for our inaction (especially the elected officials that ran to the cameras today, acted in a solemn manner, called for prayers, and will once again do absolutely nothing)...."

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/houston-police-chief-says-he-is-sick-of-inaction-over-gun-control_us_5b003eefe4b0a046186c4346?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/18/2018 at 4:36 PM, mr6666 said:

On gun violence and how to end it, the facts are all in, the evidence is clear, the truth there for all who care to know it—indeed, a global consensus is in place, which, in disbelief and now in disgust, the planet waits for us to join.

Sorry,  but I find this entire rant to be as silly and over-the-top as that of the Lt Gov Patrick.   

The part that I find most humorous is "to use the plain English the subject deserves":    Uh,  I don't see any plain English about 'how to end it'.    But since 'global consensus' is mentioned I assume this means repealing the 2nd Amendment and a total ban and confiscation of most,  if not all,  guns (even shotguns and handguns since they were used in this latest shooting).    Politically I would be for this,  but why not just say it in plain English.

" Oliver North reminds you that America has more mass shootings bc we’re the only country with violent video games, violent movies and Ritalin. Oh, and almost all mass shooters are male because women have never played violent games, seen violent films or taken Ritalin. "

giphy.gif

18 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

David FrumVerified account @davidfrum 10h10 hours ago

Mental illness, not uniquely American.

Male sexual entitlement, not uniquely American.

Schools with doors, not uniquely American.

Regularly recurring mass shootings OTOH ... Yes, it's the guns. Me yesterday in @TheAtlantic

:rolleyes:

The percentage of gun ownership today is less than it was in 1994.    American has always had a gun culture.  Also,  in many states it is harder to get a gun today then it was before these mass shootings began.  So 'yes it's the guns' is too simplistic.    There are many factors and we need to address all of them.    

• Like 1

The New York TimesVerified account @nytimes

An ever-growing body of research consistently reaches the same conclusion: The only variable that can explain the high rate of mass shootings in America is its astronomical number of guns

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/07/world/americas/mass-shootings-us-international.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes

chart_totals-Artboard_1.png

mass

shooters

United States

The United States has 270 million guns and had

90 mass shooters from 1966 to 2012.

No other country has more than 46 million guns or 18 mass shooters.

Philippines

Russia

China

India

100 million guns

200 million guns

300 million guns

The New York Times |Source: Adam Lankford, The University of Alabama (shooters); Small Arms Survey (guns). Note: Includes countries with more than 10 million people and at least one mass public shooting with four or more victims.

1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

An ever-growing body of research consistently reaches the same conclusion: The only variable that can explain the high rate of mass shootings in America is its astronomical number of guns

DUH!     But since the guns are already out there what type legislation will address this variable?

ALSO:  I welcome comments on this:

The percentage of gun ownership today is less than it was in 1994.    American has always had a gun culture.  Also,  in many states it is harder to get a gun today then it was before these mass shootings began.  So 'yes it's the guns' is too simplistic.    There are many factors and we need to address all of them.    

6 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

So 'yes it's the guns' is too simplistic.   

No, it's not.

Take away guns and there won't be any more gun deaths.

Simple equation that is undeniable.

The only argument against it is that lots of people don't want that - but that doesn't change the truth of the equation.

1 hour ago, hamradio said:

Come and take it!

ng5N1xI.png

She wouldn't have a chance.

The government has the manpower, weaponry, and tactical superiority to overwhelm every refusing gun owner. It would just be a matter of time. Lotsa death, but the government could do it. It has the capability.