Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

America's Gun Culture...

1,451 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, mr6666 said:

NBC Nightly News with Lester HoltVerified account @NBCNightlyNews 15m15 minutes ago

Police killed a gunman and two other people were injured, including a 12-year-old girl, in a shooting during Black Friday sales on Thursday night at a mall near Birmingham, Alabama.

@RonAllenNBC has the story on @NBCNightlyNews.

:wacko:

I told you all to wear full body armor. 

black-friday-chaos.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMH6cmOX0wlt_4wUHSCxN

6 hours ago, mr6666 said:

NBC Nightly News with Lester HoltVerified account @NBCNightlyNews 15m15 minutes ago

Police killed a gunman and two other people were injured, including a 12-year-old girl, in a shooting during Black Friday sales on Thursday night at a mall near Birmingham, Alabama.

@RonAllenNBC has the story on @NBCNightlyNews.

1 hour ago, hamradio said:

:wacko:

I told you all to wear full body armor. 

black-friday-chaos.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMH6cmOX0wlt_4wUHSCxN

This is where this website comes in handy.

http://blackfridaydeathcount.com/

2 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

I hope they don't go through with the ban. 

Why?

2 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

I'm opposed to gun control. Always have been.

Why?  Actually I am speaking of gun regulation, not control per se.  We regulate everything else, so why not guns?  We regulate cars, food, medicine, medical care, education, voting, ad infinitum.  Why not guns?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Why?  Actually I am speaking of gun regulation, not control per se.  We regulate everything else, so why not guns?  We regulate cars, food, medicine, medical care, education, voting, ad infinitum.  Why not guns?

I do not necessarily support all of that regulation and I don't really consider "liberal democracy" as true democracy anyways. Gun "regulation" is when guns are regulated for the working class but not for the upper class. It's really telling that Hitler and Reagan both pushed gun "regulation." 

8 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

I do not necessarily support all of that regulation and I don't really consider "liberal democracy" as true democracy anyways. Gun "regulation" is when guns are regulated for the working class but not for the upper class. It's really telling that Hitler and Reagan both pushed gun "regulation." 

I could see where we could have about 30 pages of discussion on this.  Suffice it to say, America is not a democracy; it is a republic.  There are no "true democracies" anywhere that I know of.  Closest is the old-fashioned New England town hall meetings and not sure how "democratic" they were.

As for "liberal democracy," don't know where you live, but the rest of us live in moderate to conservative "democracies."  Even the most conservative states and jurisdictions have some form of gun regulation.

Incidentally, I spent 26 years in the military and much of it in positions where I was assigned a weapon.  I also served in both the Gulf and Vietnam wars and carried a weapon in both.

20 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

I'm opposed to gun control. Always have been.

This opposition even extends to bump stocks? How about silencers? Armor-piercing rounds? Depleted-uranium rounds? Should fully-automatic weapons be legalized? Where's the line drawn, or is it ever? 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

This opposition even extends to bump stocks? How about silencers? Armor-piercing rounds? Depleted-uranium rounds? Should fully-automatic weapons be legalized? Where's the line drawn, or is it ever? 

Yeah, sure. If the US government can use those the people should be allowed to use them too.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Four-year-old in critical after 2-year-old brother shoots her in head

The young girl was taken to Indiana University Riley Hospital for surgery

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/four-year-old-critical-condition-after-2-year-old-brother-n942281?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

The grandparents should had kept the gun safely stored away with children around.  it's not the gun manufactures fault people are careless.  No type of gun control discussed will stop such a tragedy.

Even this simple device can save lives.

ftd-hoppes-trigger-lock.jpg

Justice Department Bans Bump Stocks,

Devices Used In Deadly Las Vegas Shooting

"....Under a new federal rule announced Tuesday by the Justice Department, bump stocks will be redefined as "machine guns" and therefore outlawed under existing law. .....

Fully automatic machine guns are strictly controlled in the U.S. It is illegal under federal law for a private citizen to own a machine gun that was manufactured after 1986. ....

Current bump stock owners will have the 90 days before the new rule takes effect to either destroy the devices they own or turn them in to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

The new regulations could face legal challenges from the National Rifle Association, bump stock owners or manufacturers. A Justice Department official said the department is confident in its analysis and is prepared to defend the new rule in court if needed..........

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/18/677788059/justice-department-bans-bump-stocks-devices-used-in-deadly-las-vegas-shooting?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=2048

:rolleyes:

The HillVerified account @thehill 1h1 hour ago

#BREAKING: Gun rights group to sue Trump Admin over bump stock ban http://hill.cm/2WmiEUI

.....In the rule, the DOJ is clarifying the regulatory definition of a "machinegun" to include bump-stock-type devices, subjecting them to federal gun restrictions under the National Firearms Act of 1934 and the Gun Control Act of 1968.

Pratt said the DOJ is arbitrarily redefining bump stocks as "machineguns" and, down the road, could implicate the right to own AR-15s and many other lawfully owned semi-automatic firearms....

6 hours ago, mr6666 said:

:rolleyes:

The HillVerified account @thehill 1h1 hour ago

#BREAKING: Gun rights group to sue Trump Admin over bump stock ban http://hill.cm/2WmiEUI

.....In the rule, the DOJ is clarifying the regulatory definition of a "machinegun" to include bump-stock-type devices, subjecting them to federal gun restrictions under the National Firearms Act of 1934 and the Gun Control Act of 1968.

Pratt said the DOJ is arbitrarily redefining bump stocks as "machineguns" and, down the road, could implicate the right to own AR-15s and many other lawfully owned semi-automatic firearms....

If it turns a semi automatic into a full auto machine gun then it's no different from standard modifications.

drop-in-sear.gif

Democrats Want Universal Background Checks on Guns

Members of the new House majority plan to introduce gun legislation they don’t expect to pass. But they want to make a point.

".....A majority of both gun owners and non–gun owners support universal background checks, according to the Pew Research Center, and researchers argue that expanding them works: States that already require background checks on all gun purchases experienced 35 percent less gun deaths per capita than states without the requirement, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Thompson and King proposed similar legislation last year, but their bill was never taken up by Republican leadership for a vote. Now, though, things have changed. Democrats won back a decisive majority in the House in November, and activists claim that the tide is shifting.

“The passage of a universal-background-check bill is something that we haven’t seen in 20 years,” said John Feinblatt, the president of Everytown for Gun Safety, “probably the most convincing proof yet that American political leaders are catching up with the American people.”,,,,,,

it sets up Democrats for a deeper debate about gun control heading into the 2020 general election—when they’ve got a chance to retake the Senate and the White House. It’s a chance both lawmakers and activists are optimistic about.

“The calculus has changed,” said Feinblatt, from Everytown. “When Sandy Hook happened, and the background-check bill went down in defeat, people said [gun control] was still the third rail of American politics. Nobody’s saying that anymore.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/12/house-democrats-eye-legislation-background-checks/578473/?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=the-atlantic&utm_term=2018-12-19T11%3A00%3A24&utm_content=edit-promo&utm_medium=social

2018 Brought A 'Tectonic Shift' In The Gun Control Movement, Advocates Say

...........much of that momentum to the student activists from Parkland who quickly mobilized after the shooting and became a vocal force calling for tighter gun laws — a movement that led to "March for Our Lives" demonstrations around the country. "They have brought such a level of passion," Anderman says, "and a new voice, a voice from a younger generation that is saying, 'Look at what you have done to us, America. You have put us in harm's way. And we are not going to stay silent.'"

In the midterm elections, Democratic congressional candidates were galvanized to campaign on a gun control message, with winning results....

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/26/678248648/2018-brought-a-tectonic-shift-in-the-gun-control-movement-advocates-say?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=2056

:unsure: