Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

America's Gun Culture...

1,090 posts in this topic

'Nobody is safe': Local teens write obituaries to memorialize children killed by guns since Parkland

by guns since Parkland

York High School journalism students Grace Moriarty, from left, Cece Lampa, Holly Kauck and Michael Moriarty, foreground, research and discuss ideas Feb. 6, 2019, for a national project to write obituaries for children who have died in the past year due to gun violence. (Antonio Perez/Chicago Tribune)

Some hadn’t yet celebrated their first birthday; others were on the cusp of adulthood. Some died by accident; others were killed by someone they knew; still others were murdered by a stranger as they stood in the wrong place at the wrong time.

All are children dead from a gun.......

https://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/ct-life-parkland-anniversary-gun-violence-teen-obits-20190211-story.html

Over the past few months, more than 200 teens across the country, including some in the Chicago area, are naming those children, writing obituaries for every minor who has died from a gunshot in the year since the massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., that left 17 dead and sparked a youth movement on gun control. The memorials are part of a project from the nonprofit The Trace to commemorate the one-year anniversary of the shooting, which is Thursday.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Shannon WattsVerified account @shannonrwatts 40m40 minutes ago

Border crossings are the lowest they’ve been since 1971.

School gun violence reached a new record in 2018.

On the one year mark of the mass shooting in Parkland,

focus on the real national emergency: gun violence.

MSNBCVerified account @MSNBC 2h2 hours ago

Speaker Pelosi: "You want to talk about a national emergency?

Let's talk about today, the one-year anniversary [of Parkland]

... Why don't you declare that emergency, Mr. President? I wish you would."

20 hours ago, mr6666 said:

MSNBCVerified account @MSNBC 2h2 hours ago

Speaker Pelosi: "You want to talk about a national emergency?

Let's talk about today, the one-year anniversary [of Parkland]

... Why don't you declare that emergency, Mr. President? I wish you would."

NBC ChicagoVerified account @nbcchicago 17m17 minutes ago

UPDATE: Aurora schools on lockdown as police respond to active shooter at Henry Pratt Company http://nbcchi.com/7IEBSpk 

DzeSV0YXQAAtnWE.jpg

The HillVerified account @thehill 8m8 minutes ago

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand campaigns in Keene, NH: "We don't pass gun reform in this country because of the NRA.

But it's not about the Second Amendment or hunter's rights.

Let me be really clear: It's about the gun manufacturers that fund the NRA that want to sell more weapons."

• Thanks 1

How gun control activists learned from the NRA-

".....the Democratic Party’s recent embrace of gun control proposals — not just in legislatures and Congress, but on the campaign trail itself — hints that the wraith is gone. And those who now advocate for gun safety and control measures say that is because they learned from, and adopted the techniques of, the NRA itself.

“Our founding story, I think, definitely looked at the NRA as an organization that has been very effective at what it set out to do,” Ambler said. “We definitely looked at where they had succeeded, but also at where they had failed.”

The catalysts, according to those watching the gun debate play out, have been a series of mass shootings that have brought together a coalition of disparate activist groups.....

"Over the last eight years or so, what you’ve seen is a movement that has grown in capacity and resources and become more strategic in its policy goals,” said Kristin Goss, a political scientist at Duke University who studies the gun control movement. “More and more groups of people who are affected by gun violence have organized.”

Those groups have been buoyed by donors who now help the gun safety movement compete with the NRA financially....

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/430281-how-gun-control-activists-learned-from-the-nra

• Like 1

:o

Sen. Lee pushes new bill to drop all federal regulations on gun silencer/suppressors

........Foster had to go through a lengthy and expensive process to own the suppressor. He said it cost $200 and took 6 months, on top of the background check he already completed to purchase a gun.

“I can’t see why I would need any more of background check to hold this device versus the pistol it attaches to,” he said.........

https://kutv.com/news/local/sen-lee-pushes-new-bill-to-drop-all-federal-regulations-on-gun-suppressors

• Sad 1

The Aurora Shooter’s Violent Past: 'I Have a Problem Controlling My Temper'

ISP issued 10,818 revocations last year alone. But the agency admitted Monday that most of those forms are never returned.

.........that assault never showed up in a background check when he was granted a Firearm Owner Identification Card here in Illinois 19 years later.

Armed with that card, Martin purchased the weapon in 2015 which he would eventually use to kill five people and severely wound five police officers at his Aurora workplace last Friday. And even though authorities did finally learn of the arrest and revoke his firearm privileges, no one ever followed up to make certain he surrendered his weapon.

“Absolutely he was not supposed to be in possession of a firearm,” Aurora Police Chief Kristen Ziman told reporters. “That’s part of our investigation, is why and how he had that firearm.”......

https://www.nbcchicago.com/investigations/aurora-shooter-foid-card-506007931.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_CHBrand

Re:

The Aurora Shooter’s Violent Past: 'I Have a Problem Controlling My Temper'

Well d-u-u-h-h you think? :wacko:

Blumenthal, Murphy support new bill limiting gun-magazine capacity

"They are force multipliers for evil,” Blumenthal said at a news conference called to announce the Keep America Safe Act, which he argued would significantly lower the death toll of mass shootings.

“Guns become doubly and triply deadly because of high-capacity magazines. There is no more simple straightforward way to save lives than to ban high-capacity magazines.”

Blumenthal and Murphy joined the measure’s chief sponsor, Sen. Robert Menendez, D-N.J., in saying that smaller magazine capacity means a shooter must reload more often, giving potential victims time to flee or resist......

https://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Blumenthal-Murphy-support-new-bill-limiting-13611518.php

• Like 1

Shannon WattsVerified account @shannonrwatts 6h6 hours ago

These aren’t law-abiding gun owners

- they’re gun extremists doing what @NRA leadership has told them to do:

When elected lawmakers pass any kind of gun regulation, fight for lawlessness over democracy. #MDPolitics #mdpol

==========================================

Joshua McKerrow @joshuamckerrow

People wearing “We will not comply” shirts listen to testimony before the House Judicary Committee on HB786, which would regulate long guns like handguns. @capgaznews

D0Q5RaTX0AArj82.jpg
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Shannon WattsVerified account @shannonrwatts 6h6 hours ago

These aren’t law-abiding gun owners

- they’re gun extremists doing what @NRA leadership has told them to do:

When elected lawmakers pass any kind of gun regulation, fight for lawlessness over democracy. #MDPolitics #mdpol

==========================================

Joshua McKerrow @joshuamckerrow

People wearing “We will not comply” shirts listen to testimony before the House Judicary Committee on HB786, which would regulate long guns like handguns. @capgaznews

D0Q5RaTX0AArj82.jpg

They are people protesting, using their First Amendment rights.  Once again the left thinks demonstrations only belongs to them. 

11 hours ago, hamradio said:

They are people protesting, using their First Amendment rights.  Once again the left thinks demonstrations only belongs to them. 

Protesting is an American value;   Protesting to prevent a law from being passed is an American value.

But not complying with a law isn't.

BOTH sides need to understand this.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/14/2019 at 7:58 PM, hamradio said:

So this is like your president who ignores that border crossing are down, the lowest in nearly 50 years.  Of course, that narrative doesn't suit his racist argument about the lawless southern border, while totally ignoring all the killings from white men  and terrorist acts from white supremacists acting on his rhetoric of hate.

11 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Protesting is an American value;   Protesting to prevent a law from being passed is an American value.

But not complying with a law isn't.

BOTH sides need to understand this.

Remember that if Roe Vs Wade is overturned.

1 hour ago, hamradio said:

Remember that if Roe Vs Wade is overturned.

What a punk comment;   While I'm 100% pro-choice,  I also support state-rights as well as the rule of law;  Abortion will still be available to most women since most women live in states like CA, NY and even FL that will not outlaw abortion.   (yea, FL might put in some restrictions,  but only minor ones, if any).

Anyhow if RvW is overturned (I don't think Roberts will do this anyway,  I'll donate to assist women in the hick-states so they can travel to a state where abortion is legal.     That one great reason to be rich; to donate to worthy causes.

Hillary ClintonVerified account @HillaryClinton 23m23 minutes ago

The House just passed a bill to require background checks on all gun sales in the country.

It's the first gun control legislation to pass since 1994.

Thank @gabbygiffords, @lucymcbath, @speakerpelosi and so many others for their work on this issue by calling your senators!

:)